Thread: 1mb LS1 Tuning

Fuel Injected!

1mb LS1 Tuning

Hello all,I am probably going to get more slack than answers but here it goes. I have been on just about every forum, and spent numerous hours on this site looking for answers. You guys are very sharp, but I can't seem to find my answer (maybe looking in wrong place?) I want to tune my 2005 Escalade ECU for swap into my '67 Chevelle, but I want to avoid the big guys (hp/efi live) for a few reasons. One being initial cost and two being the constant pay to play if I need more licenses. Do any of you know of any other software/hardware combination that will work. Could be free or low cost software/hardware. Like everyone I have limited funds to play with and the big guys are priced too high and I just don't like having to be limited to how many vehicles I can tune. I am using an LQ9, drive by wire, cam, 488 rear and 4L80E. If I have no choice then I will have to go "big guys", but I have faith in you all.Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    There is no free solution. Whether or not there is even a "low cost" solution, depends on your definition of "low cost". Tunercat was a reasonably priced solution, but is no longer available (directly). But, you still needed a means to log data (Tunercat did not have a scanner / data logger feature), and a wideband oxygen sensor is also highly recommended (for dependable tuning accuracy). Some people would read / flash the computer with Tunercat, and log data with EFILive or HP Tuners. This approach eliminated per computer licensing costs, but required two tuning platforms. A proposed "free" LS1 Flash Tool never did materialize, although what appears to be a variation of this tool is being sold on eBay (Australia) for $500 (AU), or about $380 (USD). This tool would likely read / flash your 1Mb ECU, but there is no accompanying "software" to edit your 1MB ECU. All things considered, HP Tuners would likely be the lowest cost option for you.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the reply, I am not opposed to spending $500 or so dollars to be able to tune and log,and yes I agree with the wide band, I have it on my powerjection III on my Bel Air. I just don't like the idea of per computer licensing. It feels like the "government" is on your back. BTW what is the tool on e-bay, just curious? I will most likely go EFI live

HPtuners is the cheapest option and currently has the biggest quantity of supported vehicles I don't want to be rude, but if you think HPT/Efi are expensive, you have the wrong hobby.

Fuel Injected!
    I appreciate your reply, not thinking you are rude at all, I've need in this hobby for 35 years, just don't like the control they have on us with the pay per tune,that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    I appreciate your reply, not thinking you are rude at all, I've need in this hobby for 35 years, just don't like the control they have on us with the pay per tune,that's all.
    There is the option of purchasing an EFI Live $tream License: http://www.efilive.com/licenses/stream-licenses (30 different computers flashed @ $100 per flash would pay for a $tream License) Possibly up-sale a few tunes with the flash and the $tream License provides a good return on investment? I've flashed more than 40 different LS1b computers so far this year. dave w

Administrator
    This is a tough spot. I don't like to be forced to pay per tune. Then again, I have an idea of how much time and or work goes into keeping software up to date and to support new vehicles and pcm's. How can a single pay cover all the hours? Why should a user who does not tune so often pay so much for so little? I can only accept the pricing strategy that currently exists as much as I don't like it.

Fuel Injected!
    i highly recommend TC if you wants to tune many cars without worrying about licenses. I've used TC last 6 months and i have done many LS swaps and sometimes i clone a pcm by using TC. if you wonts to buy it, you have to buy RoadRunner ($600), winflash ($280), RTOBD2 ($225), and every VDF definition will cost ($80).

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    It is not about control, it is about commerce. Software licensing is common, and has been around for decades. Every computer you own will have software (i.e. Windows, Office, etc.) licensed to it - which cannot be used on any other computer. When you purchase an APP for your phone, you can't also load it on your wife's phone for free, you have to purchasing the APP a second time. HP Tuners comes with 8 licensing credits, which is enough to tune 4 vehicles (normally). The casual user would likely not ever need to purchase more credits (licenses). If you are in the business of tuning, then you should expect to pay for the materials and services that you use to generate your income - which includes tuning licenses.

Fuel Injected!

1mb LS1 Tuning

Good responses from everyone, I do appreciate the input.