Thread: First TBI conversion attempt on a FORD !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

First TBI conversion attempt on a FORD !

Hello every one. I am bronco Tom. My buddies and I are off-roaders. On the trails we are always off-camber in some sticky situation trying to get up and over some obstacle that we thought we could master! This means carburation is a flunk! Most guys have factory fuel injection. My ride is a heavily modified 78 bronco on propane. I call her HILLBILLY DELUXE. Anyway, I got my hands on a complete 454 tbi system that I want to try to get to work. MY goal is to diy the whole thing without spending a lot of cash. The wiring harness delete has got me a little worried, but the distributor mod might be the biggest diy challenge. I love what I have seen in the short time I have visited this site. MY plan is to work on the wiring harness first. If that goes ok I will look into tackling the dist. I feel confident I could get any help I might need here.

Fuel Injected!
    Sounds like a cool project. What motor are you planning on putting the TBI system on?It would help to know displacement and the present fuel distribution schema.

Off the top of my head, since you are presently running a carb it's probably about 5PSI to the carb. To run GM TBI it's in the neighborhood of 13PSI you'll need. The best way to upgrade your fuel pump is to go in-tank, but if that's not possible I've seen people use a mid-80s Volvo external pump to supply 50PSI (which the FPR will knock down to the proper pressure). This gives you plenty of headspace for future mods. (I'm far from an expert on this, FYI)

If you're staying with propane, I don't know, and will learn from you.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '94 Grand Cherokee: 4.0, 4" lift, 31s
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '87 Fiero GT: 3.8SC (initial research stage)

Carb and Points!
    Hi Phil, the motor is a 400m. The propane system includes a forklift tank mounted in the rear. The fuel line runs to the firewall where the impco 425 mixer is mounted. From there a short 1" diameter hose sends the converted liquid propane gas to a propane carb mounted to an edelbrock manifold. So, there is no fuel pump! I checked out your S10 rig-it sounds perfect for the trails, are you a wheeler? The reason I want to go efi is because I want to put a mid 90's ranger body on my bronco frame. Thanks for the reply. Tom

Fuel Injected!
    As crazy as it sounds, it's not built as a wheeling rig. It was done to make it more durable and easier to service, partly (the SAS part). Then when the 4.3 went, I couldn't swing a rebuilt 4.3 and had a 305 laying in the back shed. I'd intended to go that route, gathered up everything as I limped along the 4.3 (which never completely died) and then intended to do the V8 swap in a week (yeah right!). Opened up the top of the 5.0 to find #1 and #7 were full of rust, didn't bother taking the other head off at that point. I got lucky and found a low-miles 5.7 running as a yard truck at a junkyard, and got it for $500.

During this, I ordered tires, thinking I had enough clearance for the 35s, as the 33s were looking tiny. I then found out I was wrong, and the easiest way forward to get the 35s to clear was to go higher, so I went SOA, which in turn lead to steering mods, etc, etc.

At the end of it all, I appear to have something like 18" of travel at each wheel, so I could definitely use it to do some crawling, but all I would want to do would be trails and fire roads. Even after all this work- probably $5k in a truck that books out at $2k, I still don't have a car payment, so I'll call it a win.

I don't see getting rid of this truck, ever, so resale hasn't been a concern. I may well go to a 4BT or an Isuzu 4-cyl turbodiesel some day, too. That's been what I've wanted all along- a diesel, solid-axled midsize SUV with either no computer, or a computer I can hack and capture data on the fly with.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '94 Grand Cherokee: 4.0, 4" lift, 31s
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '87 Fiero GT: 3.8SC (initial research stage)

Carb and Points!

Compatible project.

Ive also been working on fuel injecting a 400. Have you made any progress on your build? Mine is also a 1979. There is another member on here that is much further along with a full size 1972 car.

Quote Originally Posted by 400_Fordman View Post
    Ive also been working on fuel injecting a 400. Have you made any progress on your build? Mine is also a 1979. There is another member on here that is much further along with a full size 1972 car.
    If you have any questions, I converted the 351W in my boat to TBI. With spark control.
    1986 ski centurion boat, 351W, gt40P heads, edelbrock performer rpm, 1227747 ecm, 72 lb/hr injectors (@18 PSI fuel pressure), .490/.490 lift, intake 278 duration, exhuast 282 duration, 112 lobe separation

1969 camaro, 355ci, performer RPM intake, camel hump heads, 1227747 ecm, 454 throttle body (@18 PSI fuel pressure),

2016 Chevy Cruz

2014 Chevy Silverado