Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tuning a crate 350 H.O.

i willl certainly give as much info as i can. I have limited knowledge with in depth tuning. Also, the kickdown and TCC just need to be disabled completely in my application due to the fact im just running a 700R4 with a TV cable, no electronics needed to tune the tranny charicteristics.

i think ill give your tune a shot with PE and Lean disabled. my VE tables are not truely dialed in on my chip now. i would like to go off a known good base timing table that's not too much timing since i have no knock sensor and vortec heads. If all goes well ill start with tuning the VE tables only and see if everything else falls in line after those are closer to what my motor wants. tune it one thing at a time.

I love this site!!! Great job this this site guys! I love that everything on here is legit, truly used bins and defs by others and everyone's helping others out. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by rokcrawlin85 View Post
    I love this site!!! Great job this this site guys! I love that everything on here is legit, truly used bins and defs by others and everyone's helping others out. Nice work!
    That's what it was for! Learn and share! No limits to cetain vehicle, no rules on topics, just open conversation! Glad your here helping and testing.

i willl certainly give as much info as i can. I have limited knowledge with in depth tuning. Also, the kickdown and TCC just need to be disabled completely in my application due to the fact im just running a 700R4 with a TV cable, no electronics needed to tune the tranny charicteristics.

i think ill give your tune a shot with PE and Lean disabled. my VE tables are not truely dialed in on my chip now. i would like to go off a known good base timing table that's not too much timing since i have no knock sensor and vortec heads. If all goes well ill start with tuning the VE tables only and see if everything else falls in line after those are closer to what my motor wants. tune it one thing at a time.
    Oh! I thought you had turbo 400? That was the other guy with 1228747 system from factory.

So your 700R4 runs with no TCC? $42 does TCC...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

i would like to go off a known good base timing table that's not too much timing since i have no knock sensor and vortec heads.
    I've looked all over the internet trying to find a good base vortec timing table for a tbi. I have read that a vortec tbi was offered from the factory in mexico but have yet to see a bin for it. There also seems to be a lot of debate at different forums on what vortec heads call for in reguards to timing in a tbi application. really comes down to cam, compression, fuel, ect. I can tell you when I put vortec heads on my 4.3 the stock tables were useless and it was a gutless wonder. I copied the timing table out of a efi live tune file and still had to bump it up across the board before the engine would come alive.
    Last edited by PJG1173; 02-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Your correct, no TCC. So in the $42 def, i can just change the setting to keep if from trying to kick in and change the flag setting correct? Basically, long explaination short, take any settings in the $42 def that i do not have, and change them so they don't set an error code or try to kick in with my peticular setup.

Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    I've looked all over the internet trying to find a good base vortec timing table for a tbi. I have read that a vortec tbi was offered from the factory in mexico but have yet to see a bin for it. There also seems to be a lot of debate at different forums on what vortec heads call for in reguards to timing in a tbi application. really comes down to cam, compression, fuel, ect. I can tell you when I put vortec heads on my 4.3 the stock tables were useless and it was a gutless wonder. I copied the timing table out of a efi live tune file and still had to bump it up across the board before the engine would come alive.
    that's good info to know! i thought the vortec/fastburn heads required less overall timing due them being more efficient than the older style heads. at least from what i've read over at thirdgen. I was reading about the issue with the IAC seeming to keep the idle high when you come off the throttle, (i feel i have the same issue) maybe we're trying to push too much timing in the lower RPM cells?? If this 7747 burn will work for me, ill be looking more into the IAC variables, since it has much more options than the 8747 ECM offers for control.... But i won't be able to even get started on that until the weekend at the earliest.

Somewhere here we have a Vortec TBI bin file!

Your correct, no TCC. So in the $42 def, i can just change the setting to keep if from trying to kick in and change the flag setting correct? Basically, long explaination short, take any settings in the $42 def that i do not have, and change them so they don't set an error code or try to kick in with my peticular setup.
    Yup! Actually it was already done and marked in XDF from other thread.

-= =-

Awesome!! when i get home ill be loading that one up and taking a look at it. Mark, if you find that stock vortec TBI timing bin post it up here for the sake of anyone running the 350 H.O. since they are vortec heads, and for my sake to maybe splice it into the the timing table on your 7747 bin and see how it works.

This might help "16197427=96-97 export truck vortec head tbi\63\Brdw.bin"

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ull=1#post2902
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.

Awesome!! when i get home ill be loading that one up and taking a look at it. Mark, if you find that stock vortec TBI timing bin post it up here for the sake of anyone running the 350 H.O. since they are vortec heads, and for my sake to maybe splice it into the the timing table on your 7747 bin and see how it works.
    Mark likes to help and do this kind of stuff specially in winter! But a little overwhelmed with life this afternoon... just found out my wifes brothers son (nephew) ended his life at 20 years old...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Mark likes to help and do this kind of stuff specially in winter! But a little overwhelmed with life this afternoon... just found out my wifes brothers son (nephew) ended his life at 20 years old...
    Holy crap!! I thought i was young. Very sorry to hear that Mark. I hope everyone gets through it ok.

Thanks!

Back to topic I found some interesting info below:
    As I was told (and found out), the hardware is the same for all the c3's. And any C3 code will work on them.
    Just as long as it has the WHOLE code on it, the 7747 will run just like an 8746 or whatever you make it to be.
    So it's just a matter of what wires come out of the ECM compared to bin loaded on chip?

-= =-

So from a 8747 to 7747 there really isn't any changes needed to the bin, just load a 7747 with the $42 mask and burn a chip and put it into the 8747 ECM and watch it run. obviously changing a few things within the bin for a given vehicle and what it has as running gear.

I think what Eaglemark is saying is you may need to swap some wires on the ecu too.

So from a 8747 to 7747 there really isn't any changes needed to the bin, just load a 7747 with the $42 mask and burn a chip and put it into the 8747 ECM and watch it run. obviously changing a few things within the bin for a given vehicle and what it has as running gear.
    Well maybe a little termanoigy issue with that. Have to burn a $42 bin in chip and use in 8747 ECM. Yes apply any changes needed.

I think what Eaglemark is saying is you may need to swap some wires on the ecu too.
    Right!

-= =-

ok. well hopefully this weekend we'll be able to find something out with this. Mark i loaded up your Surburban tune into Tunerpro and will make any needed changes to make it initially run with my setup.