Thread: Tunerpro stopped connecting - ripping my hair out

Electronic Ignition!

Tunerpro stopped connecting - ripping my hair out

I have a 1994 K1500, manual trans, 16196395, and an cable from aldlcable.com.

I've been able to connect fine to my truck for years without any issues. Been recently working on some tuning and data logging. One day I put my fresh burned chip in, turned on the truck, and hit connect, like I always have, and it wouldn't connect. I didn't change anything about the adx, or any settings in tunerpro, just burned a new chip. I tried an older bin on a different chip, and it connected fine, so I figured bad chip.
    Well after a while it wouldn't connect with either chip, no matter what bin I used. At one point I went for a test drive while it was trying to connect, and it finally connected after a while, but I got a ton of errors in the data.

I tried putting the stock eeprom in, no connection.
    Checked the wire connections between the ecu and data port, and they all seem fine.
    I always check com port settings, they're fine.
    Tried an older ftdi driver, no connection.
    Tried a brand new laptop (both are Asus running windows 10) with a fresh copy of tunerpro and the adx file, that didn't help.
    Bought one of these ftdi usb cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/401105576521 , Tunerpro recognizes the cable with the RX/TX wires crossed, and hyperterminal will echo fine. I backpined it directly to the ECU (rx/tx to orange/blk data line, ground to black/white), no dice.
    I bought a 16197427, unopened with stock eeprom, plugged it in today and I still can't connect with either cable.

Other than that, everything works fine. No check engine light. Jumping the data port gives code 12.

It went from working fine to not working at all in a matter of a few minutes. Please please HelP!

Fuel Injected!
    This sounds to me like it's going to be a computer issue.

What computer make and model, what OS, and is it fully up to date on patches?

You should see a device load and unload in Device Manager/Ports *as well as Universal Serial Bus Controllers* when you insert the cable.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '94 Grand Cherokee: 4.0, 4" lift, 31s
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '87 Fiero GT: 3.8SC (initial research stage)

Electronic Ignition!
    I don't remember my laptop's model number, but I borrowed my girlfriend's brand new Asus F555LA with windows 10, only been used for about a week. I'm pretty sure it's software is up to date.

My laptop is also Asus with windows 10, a little older but faster AMD processor. I've never had so much as a hiccup connecting with it until now. It worked fine, then an hour or so later wouldn't connect.

The port definitely shows up in device manager every time I plug the cable in. I'll check later to see if USB Controller shows up.

I was thinking computer also, but what gets me is that tunerpro will recognize the new cable as found and functional. I don't think the cable test has ever worked with the aldlcable.com cable, but data collecting has never been a problem. Even with hyperterminal, I get an echo through the cable, and it receives "noise" when I rub the transmit/receive wires together. Hyperterminal doesn't receive any data when I'm plugged in and the truck is running.

I've been meaning to wipe my laptop clean and reinstall windows for a while, I might try that. Maybe use my old copy of windows 7 first just to see if it works.

I'm also thinking maybe bad ground or some other connection? I'm not sure where all the grounds are. Could that cause everything to work fine except aldl though?

Fuel Injected!
    I am having the same problem, I have two laptops one with Win 7 and the other Win 10.
    Only errors when connected.
    1993 Chevy Blazer TBI Vortec long block 5.7
    16168625 BDJZ 46mm TB 18 PSI fuel
    Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 288/308, Lift .431/.451
    Chevrolet Performance Vortec TBI Intake Manifold
    shorty's, y-pipe and 3" full boar muffler

Fuel Injected!
    I found this web sight ( http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/T...pplication.htm )and installed it, ran test and failed, ran diagnostics and now it works.
    The WBO2 sensor is not logging witch was the first to fail so I don't know what is going on with that.

Fuel Injected!
    Well it worked once. Com port seams to get lost.
    Latter ...
    I found this on some other forum "Each computer I use is slightly different and what happens is there is "something" with the speed of aquisition on the ports, not sure what but this has worked for me with the hint from Magnus.
    Edit your connection macro.
    Add a delay of 20 mS to the end (or begining)"

I changed my Latency Timer msec: from 16 to 14 and passes all of the test for ALDL-Test v230 I will see if I can log tomorrow
    Last edited by Dom; 10-19-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Fail Retested with ALDL tester and now fails.

I am thinking BAD Cable
    Last edited by Dom; 10-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.