Thread: KlingonFiero saying Hi.

Electronic Ignition!

KlingonFiero saying Hi.

Hello All.

Been watching this site for long time now.

I'm an ex ASE cert mechanic, specializing in GM wiring.
    Lately I've been working on Pontiac Fieros , built a couple from the ground up. Currently have a 1986 SE sitting in storage - trying to decide to sell or do an engine swap...

My passion has been split between the Fiero and the first gen Blazers.

Finally found a decent '93 LT Tahoe - loving the leather :)

Just moved to southwestern VA from Denver, towed about 5000 lbs without a problem except the ignition switch failing in Kansas.

Got too VA and the truck experienced a set of cascade failures. Spent 3 weeks fixing her back up, but am still having issues that I think are related to the PCM/memcal/programming.

Wish me luck!

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome! The fiero is a great platform for swaps and is very accommodating. I've swapped in the 3.4 from a camaro, an F23 trans from a cavalier, and ran it with a 7730 ecm. Both very good choices, but if I'd had it available at the time, I'd swap in a 3500 pre-vvt from a g6 and an F23 or f40 trans.
    Anything over 160hp will make the fiero move like it was intended. Good luck!

Fuel Injected!
    Sounds like you're a guy after my own heart... check my signature!
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '94 Grand Cherokee: 4.0, 4" lift, 31s
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '87 Fiero GT: 3.8SC (initial research stage)

Electronic Ignition!
    Nice to not be hated on because of my Fiero Affair! Or being told they all catch fire...

My last driver was an 86 that I completely gutted, welded in a flat pan up front, for a battery tray and small toolkit. No spare because of the 16" rims and wide tires.

Put in a 3100 aluminum head dis engine with a 4T60e trans. If I recall correctly it was out of a 2001 Grand Am???

Solid mounted the cradle, full Poly suspension, lowered the front 1.5 inches and the rear 2 inches.

That car screamed. I do miss her.

I've been in a car with a well installed 3800SC, it was amazing. Good luck with your install
    Phil. I'd offer to come help but your almost 400 miles away. Read everything you can on the subject and be careful who you buy your mounts through, unless your making your own. Are you a member of Pennock's? Lots of good info on there.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by f85gtron View Post
    Welcome! The fiero is a great platform for swaps.
    A 3500 pre-vvt from a g6 and an F23 or f40 trans.
    Anything over 160hp will make the fiero move like it was intended. Good luck!
    A 3500 would make the Fiero a true Street Demon!

Fuel Injected!
    I don't think I wil lhave any problems with the fabrication work, or the wiring. It's the ECU tuning that has me a bit concerned. That's why I'm planning to forklift the entire harness/ECM/motor/trans from one car.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM

Electronic Ignition!
    That is a very wise decision. Just shorten or add wires as needed.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by KlingonFiero View Post
    That is a very wise decision. Just shorten or add wires as needed.
    Yessir, just what I did with the reroute of the harness in my 89 S10 when I installed the 5.7 in her. I didn't want to open another hole in the firewall so I extended the harness by 30" by way of soldering/shrinking in one wire at a time, which was in turn run through a section of firesleeve as insurance.

I COULD have just chopped the harness and done it via a handmade runsheet, but due to the fact this work was done at midnight over the space of a week after getting off work, the harness is old so the colors aren't quite as vibrant as they once were (seriously, GM? Grey *and* Slate wires?), and my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were, it was the better way to go. One day next year when I get bored and am reasonably sure I won't have to adjust runs or anything, I'll strip off the old convoluted tubing and install new, then wrap it in 3M electrical tape. Can't get much better chafe and heat protection than that, plus it looks good too.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC