Thread: New fuel injection at work

New fuel injection at work

Went to a class a couple days ago for work (john deere), to learn about 2012 model changes, updates, fixes, and whats new on the commercial zero turn mowers. (i'm a lawn mower tech)
    One thing that really perked my intrest was the new EFI engine. It was released late last year in limited numbers, and this year will be the first full season. I read about it a few months ago and had been waiting to see one. What makes it so cool, is its full closed loop! The injection system is built by delphi. Has a TPS, 2 injectors (air cooled V twin engine) MAP, oil temp sensor, and a 4 wire heated 02 sensor. It also no longer uses magneto based ignition coils. It has two coils (coil near plug style) and uses a crankshaft position sensor. The ECU controlls ignition timing and spark advance as well as fuel. It goes closed loop at about 110*F oil temp (since there is no coolant) The engine however still uses a governer, so no IAC. It has a electric fuel pump, and fuel pressure is 39 PSI!
    Another cool feature, is there is also a diagnostic plug and a live connection can be made to the ecu with a laptop, however you can only connect with JD's software, but its the same software used to connect with any peice of JD equipment. Once connected you can read and delete DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes), and moniter and record live data from all sensors. There is a "check engine light" on the hour meter, and it also has a self diagnostic feature. Turn the key on-off-on-off-then on and leave it on and the light will flash the code. (my wrangler does the same thing...lol)
    If anyone wants to google them, its the Z925A EFI.

Another cool fuel injection system is on the 825i gators. These have a inline 3 cyl engine made by cherry. This little puppy has it all. Sequencial multiport injection, DIS, all the sensors you would find on modern mpi engines, DOHC, 4 valves per cyl, 50 HP. This is a hot little engine, makes these things scoot! It will wind up to. You can floor it and it will pull all the way to 6000 RPM!
    Funny thing about this, is it uses a OBD2 diagnostic port. However, even though a common scan tool can plug up to it, it can not connect. Uses JD's code and only JD software can connect.
    Now thats a ecu I wish someone could hack, I think it would be sweet to put a tiny turbo on that engine, and then do some tweeking of it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

V twin air cooled EFI was done by Harley in about 1996. I've seen one guy do GM EFI on a VW with coolant temp gauge on cylinder, it took some testing but he found the right spot.

Coolest lawn mower I have ever heard about though... mine blew up this year... darn thing only lasted 15 years or so...

EDIT: Little big for my yard... see attachment...
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yep, the 900 series is our commercial grade mowers. They have a 7 iron deck (roughly 1/4in thick) greaseable taper roller bearing blade spindles. These are nice mowers. But they are made for people who mow grass for a living, or homeowners who have large properties and want a high qualityl mower.

JD has had fuel injection on some of the larger mowers for years now, however the systems were not closed loop. The fuel injection mainly came on the large frame mowers and other commercial equipment. The 425 mower had optional fuel injection. We had a older one come in last year that had a sort of tbi system on it. Had a single blade TB, and a single injector that fed into the bore of the TB at a 45 degree angle. They then later swtiched to a mpi style system with two seperate injectors over the intake valves. These had limited feedback though. They had a coolant temp sensor (were on liquid cooled engines only) air intake temp sensor, and map sensor. Thats it. It pretty much stayed like that untill this new engine on the Z925A. However the older injection system is still in production today in the X700 series of mowers. (large frame) Its the same basic mower, with only diffrences is the body. The frame, trans, engines, etc.. are all the same. Started out as the 425/455, then X485, X585, then currently the X700. There were diffrent models in the same series (400, 500, and 700 series) with the last two numbers being diffrent, but all basicly the same mower. A 3 cyl yanmar diesel was optional.
    If this new engine and injection system works out like they are hopeing, I would like to see them put that engine on other mowers. Right now, the Z925A is the only thing with that engine.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.