Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TBI conversion web page

Quote Originally Posted by bmalta View Post
    maybe I could pitch it another way: A list of programming how to's stating clearly which parameters to set (by address) to what settings (by hex). For example: setting idle, setting open loop idle, dealing with common idle issues, PE mode, Decel Fuel C/O or enleanment, Better fuel economy, better performance, Hiway Mode, etc. I know there have been posts on all of these on this and many good sites, but put together in one place and a final summary for each rather than picking info out of conversations would be awesome! I have a 7747 w/ $42 mask, this seems to be the most common by far, but yet discussions on even the best sites, with the most helpful folks (y'all, 3rd gen, IFSJ etc...) can be confusing because sometimes they refer to TunerCats, sometimes TunerPro, and everyone has their own definition files so parameters are called different things. I've seen the same parameter referred to as a "max" value in one .xdf and a min value in another! Yes, 1project2many this could be a "how to tune".

Once upon a time Custom EFI's started a tuning handbook that attempted this. I have an early copy so it's largely incomplete and in most cases refers to parameters by name as per his TunerCats .ecu file....
    That would never work. First every mask is different so can't say set this address, cause address for this is different in every mask. Next every engine is different so can't say set this to 1 because different engine may need 2. Next tuning programs are different, compare list of items in TunerCat for $42 to TunerPro $42 has at least.... I'll be Conservative and say three time more parameters. OK Had to look. TunerCat $42 has about 125 parameters total. TunerPro $42 has 197 in just scalers! About 307 total!

If you have read Custom EFIS handbook all that information can be carried over to TunerPro or any tuner software program, but your right some of the names could change. In TunerPro you can custimize your files to say what you want. All other software you can not. TunerPro can add comments and notes to each paremeter. All other tuning software you can't. This is a main reason it is so widely used! Plus it's cheaper and will do more cars then any other software. And we have a chance of meeting your goals with it!

I guess to summerize the above would be that's why we call it tuning! Every engine is differant, so it needs to be tuned.

Then there are many mechanical things that need to be correct before you start to data log or tune, some things should be turned off to data log and tune. I did start a write up on this.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ate-10-24-2011

So with EFI dictionary in works, starting point for tuning above, we can and will have the next step in a writeup so all things will be in one place. But you'll still have to gain some knowledge to make it work. But I think we can get it all together enough for a beginer to get started.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That would be our job to create such a page...

But we all need to work on this!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-(beta-version)
    Yes, please. I am far from a expert on all this. I need this all proof read and checked for mistakes. Some I need a good defination for, thos are marked with a *. So if you see any mistakes, or can add a defanition, please post it up in the thread so me, mark, or a mod can add it to the post. Also if there is something not on there you think should be, post it up and we will add it to it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    maybe I could pitch it another way: A list of programming how to's stating clearly which parameters to set (by address) to what settings (by hex). For example: setting idle, setting open loop idle, dealing with common idle issues, PE mode, Decel Fuel C/O or enleanment, Better fuel economy, better performance, Hiway Mode, etc.
    That would be an awesome document, mainly because the author would be nearly psychic to pull it off. Example: "How to get better fuel economy"

Ok, so if you've got $42 you can enable highway fuel mode, but you might have to download a patch, and you could enable highway spark, and set your maximum spark to 35 degrees and your AFR to 15.2:1, unless you have an over 4" bore, or unless you have older cylinder heads, or unless you're running a different manifold than me, or unless you're using different compression than me, or unless you're not even running a smallblock Chevy, or unless you are running a smallblock just like mine but it's in a larger or smaller vehicle. Now if you're using $58 there is no highway fuel or spark but you can adjust the lean/rich trigger point and tighten up the PID for closed loop some, but you have to be careful because you don't want to be lean in boost so you might need to change the forced PE values...

Some of what you're asking for might be easily do-able. But a generic answer for many situations imo is strategy based. For example, an idle surge would require a series of tests to eliminate improper spark timing, fuel pressure related issues, faulty sensor feedback, injector related problems, and ignition related problems. Throughout these tests are possibilities to discover a relationship between the particular calibration settings and the engine which are causing or aggravating the surge. There is no single variable or table which is a cause of it.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    <br>
    <br>
    Then there are many mechanical things that need to be correct before you start to data log or tune, some things should be turned off to data log and tune. I did start a write up on this.<br>
    <a href="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?149-Where-do-you-start-when-tuning-a-chip-Update-10-24-2011" target="_blank">http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?149-Where-do-you-start-when-tuning-a-chip-Update-10-24-2011</a><br>
    <br>
    So with EFI dictionary in works, starting point for tuning above, we can and will have the next step in a writeup so all things will be in one place. But you'll still have to gain some knowledge to make it work. But I think we can get it all together enough for a beginer to get started.
    <br>
    <br>
    The dictionary and the getting started write up are helpful, and Grumpy's tuning tips is excellent, thanks! Yes, I get that such a guide would be mask specific, and maybe I'm being a bit selfish (sorry) but I'd still love to have one for: $42 and maybe $Oe. :)

Well I have taken everyones advice, I hope, and updated the page to include a chip picture with comment that programming and software page and tuning page are coming soon!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

I think I will add to each EFI item or sensor a brief description from the dictionary when that gets done. I'm going to spend spare time (Ha!) helping JeepsandGuns with that for now, then the other pages.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!

Vss

I sent my new speedo cable to this place to have the cable cut and ends put on so I can run an in like VSS . He answered all of my questions like how many pulse per mile for my application. Was happy with service but not cheap. This could be helpful for some one doing an older car that needs VSS.

Quote Originally Posted by POZE View Post
    Now i will ad the link. Da
    http://www.speedometersolutions.com/
    My AVG Anti-Virus did not like the link above! Everyone be warned!!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    No malicious intent on my part. I have not had any problems with the link. Should I or can I remove the post?

You couldn't have known. Daves software picked up all the hidden links in the source code you can not see, links to overseas drug companies etc... so his AVG idenitfied it. But there was no virus or any malishous content that would hurt your PC. If that is a real company then whoever is doing the website is useing it as a Spam link spot.

I deleted the link.

-= =-