Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBI conversion web page

TBI conversion web page

I've been wanting to make some web pages to go along with the BCC find page. Anyone with a writeup or ideas and information is welcome. One that is going to go in there as well as the forum is JeepsandGuns EFI tuning dictionary project.

I started one for TBI conversions awhile ago, actually had a complete one about 10 years ago... and got it to presentable today and wondering what you guys think?
    It has links to 1project2many BCC find with the ECM part.
    A link to gregs78cam in tank fuel pump write up with the fuel pump part.
    A link to the Hybrid distributor I wrote up.
    A link to reworking a stock harness conversion thread I started on the old forum.

Probably can find more but right now I've worked on it all day and going blind... it's a how to with links to everything, everyone has contributed here so take a look and give some ideas!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

looks great! you have a pic of everything but a chip. It might be helpful for readers to see the different types of chips too.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

D'oh!

Your right! It needs to be there.

But I do have another page planned for chips, burners, software stuff that we will have lots of threads here to link to.

-= =-

Only thing I see, is the distributor. To a noob, it looks like grafting a chevy dist and their stock dist (if they are not using a chevy engine) is the only option. Mabey add to the writeup a link to a thread where it shows converting a non GM distributor to be used with FI, and mounting the ignition module seperate from the dis on a heat sink.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Only thing I see, is the distributor. To a noob, it looks like grafting a chevy dist and their stock dist (if they are not using a chevy engine) is the only option. Mabey add to the writeup a link to a thread where it shows converting a non GM distributor to be used with FI, and mounting the ignition module seperate from the dis on a heat sink.
    I think it says more to come? Or it will. I have the DuraSpark conversion writeup from Custom EFIS handbook printed 1999 to go with it. Old HEI conversion. If there's more ways then the highway we'll do it!

-= =-

Administrator
    Looks nice.

What we really need to see is some nice howto's specifically for International EFI swaps. Just because.

Well that is done, set in stone and there's no other way to do it.

Looks nice.
    thanks! I have to do something to populate that side of website because of the sweet BCC Find!

I'd like this to be a general TBI 101 conversion course for any engine. Then give options and links to work we have already done for specific engines and specific ECM/PCM. Basically an overview with options. This page will constantly be updated with links to other information either on other web pages or back to forum.

It will represent and document everyones work. Again this is a team project so it represents all of us! That is why I am asking here. Ideas and suggestions always welcome.

And for those of you afraid to correct me or debate me in public and send me PMs apologizing and trying to be so polite. Just stop. I can be proven wrong, have been proven wrong and would rather be proven wrong then let mis information float around! I'm just part of the team, your part of the team! Look at my user title! I'm just an EFI GearHead. Other people are Admins and Super Moderators!

-= =-

what about putting different intakes on there or links to them. we all know about the gm intakes. i would just list them. but for other than gm intakes would be cool especially if there is a pic of them.

Is there aftermarket TBI intakes made for other than GM cars?

The adapters are there which covers three basic carbs to TBI...

-= =-

Carb and Points!

Suggestion

I'm not sure if this is just meant to be the physical conversion only, but... What would be really helpful would be a comprehensive document that lists all the tuneable parameters in a particular .bin (such as scalars, flags and tables) listed by address location as well as generic name, with as complete a description as can be made. This would essentially be a document form of all the comments in an .xdf/.ecu file. Lsting by address will allow it to be generic across all platforms and definition files. As a beginning tuner this would be an INVALUABLE resource. At the moment this info is scattered all over the internet and in some cases has been contradictory....

Administrator
    Interesting idea. For beginners it might make sense to have a list of basic tuning parameters common to all platforms but as you get deeper into the calibrations there are a lot of variables and tables that are mask specific so those might not translate well. With all the web sites explaining how to tune, are the descriptions really necessary to the list? Is it going to be helpful to explain the purpose of main spark advance table or the main VE and idle VE table? Especially if there is no supporting "how to tune" documentation handy?

Actually this thread for this web page is just the beginning and the physical part, I had mentioned above I forgot to add a chip picture but plan to add a programming page with parts, software and equipment, then a tuning page as well. All the work is collaborated from what we do here!

We are working on an EFI dictionary which includes tuner terms so that will be a huge help to beginners. But as mentioned different masks have different x vs. y parameters so you could refer to EFI dictionary for each term to determine how they work in that bin, then comment in the XDF or ADX file.

XDF and ADX files for TunerPro are community developed so it is up to everyone to contribute. I have spent at least 100 hours commenting parameters in $42 and $EE.

93V8S10 has who knows how many hours into the ADX and XDF he has worked on and still has the desire to improve them.

Once the dictionary is done we can work on other XDF and ADX files for commenting how each parameter works or what changes do to effect tune, like do you add here to add fuel or subtract?

Collaborating work and keeping the latest updated files available was one goal of this community. Once a few of the above things mentioned are done I would like to get volunteers to work on each mask XDF and ADX file for latest edition!

We are just now doing a topic of week to gather information on each subject. Maybe down the road we can do Mask ID file of the week too.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    maybe I could pitch it another way: A list of programming how to's stating clearly which parameters to set (by address) to what settings (by hex). For example: setting idle, setting open loop idle, dealing with common idle issues, PE mode, Decel Fuel C/O or enleanment, Better fuel economy, better performance, Hiway Mode, etc. I know there have been posts on all of these on this and many good sites, but put together in one place and a final summary for each rather than picking info out of conversations would be awesome! I have a 7747 w/ $42 mask, this seems to be the most common by far, but yet discussions on even the best sites, with the most helpful folks (Bill at BP, y'all, 3rd gen, IFSJ, etc) can be confusing because sometimes they refer to TunerCats, sometimes TunerPro, and everyone has their own definition files so parameters are called different things. I've seen the same parameter referred to as a "max" value in one .xdf and a min value in another! Yes, 1project2many this could be a "how to tune".

Once upon a time Custom EFI's started a tuning handbook that attempted this. I have an early copy so it's largely incomplete and in most cases refers to parameters by name as per his TunerCats .ecu file....

Electronic Ignition!
    For that type of documentation, might a Wiki be a good solution? I'm not the biggest fan of Wikis, but they do have their place, and used correctly they can be pretty good.

- Frank

That would be our job to create such a page...

But we all need to work on this!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-(beta-version)

-= =-