Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSD Ignition

Ya know, after watching that vid mark posted about the optispark, and reading this, I am almost tempted to add a vaccume line ent to the distributor cap on my wrangler. I have a aftermarket coil on it and use the BWD brass terminal cap/rotor, and every time I change it, there is always this thick golden brown film on the inside of the cap. I'm about due for a change, I might try this. Anyone know of a orifice I could install in a vac line? I doubt I need a full open vac line, probably too much of a vac leak.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    No problem here with the ignition boxes, but I will never own another MSD distributor. Lots of moisture and corrosion, went to start it one rainy day and the darn thing jumped spark so bad that the engine kicked back so hard that it broke the starter drive.

Administrator
    Anyone know of a orifice I could install in a vac line? I doubt I need a full open vac line, probably too much of a vac leak.
    What I've been doing lately is using a 90 degree elbow for 1/8" vacuum / washer hose. I put a paper clip or small wire in one end, mix up a little epoxy and fill the fitting around the wire, and as the epoxy is hardening I pull wire out. Give a .020" - .040" orifice.

I was thinking about putting a fitting in base of the distributor, run a small hose to a check valve and then over to the valve cover opposite the PCV. So that all air that gets sucked into the crankcase comes from the distributor cap. Any problems with this thought?
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

that's not going to be near enough air on it's own...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    So that all air that gets sucked into the crankcase comes from the distributor cap. Any problems with this thought?
    Possible problem if the check valve fails and lets crankcase vapors back into the cap under pressure. Could make a mess or worse.

You should have plenty of left over ported vacuum ports on those 2 TBI units!

I haven't had time to search yet for a simple one way valve or one way valve with filter or just filter for vacuum line. There should be plenty of options from conglomerations of vacuum lines, valves, switches from carburetors cars around 1986 down before EFI. Remember what a mess they were? Well there's the parts we need!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    What I've been doing lately is using a 90 degree elbow for 1/8" vacuum / washer hose. I put a paper clip or small wire in one end, mix up a little epoxy and fill the fitting around the wire, and as the epoxy is hardening I pull wire out. Give a .020" - .040" orifice.
    That sounds like a good idea, I may just give that a try!
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You should have plenty of left over ported vacuum ports on those 2 TBI units!

I haven't had time to search yet for a simple one way valve or one way valve with filter or just filter for vacuum line. There should be plenty of options from conglomerations of vacuum lines, valves, switches from carburetors cars around 1986 down before EFI. Remember what a mess they were? Well there's the parts we need!
    Windshield washer hoses often have a check valve. 96+ Chrysler Co. minivans are one option but they're under the cover under the wiper arms. S10 Blazers usually have them in the hose to the rear washer somewhere near the washer bottle. These valves usually have a stainless checkball and spring because washer solvent is Methanol and very corrosive. But I can't tell you how much vacuum it takes to open one 'cause this is a whole new application. :)

Good idea! Wouldn't have even looked there cause there's so much stuff available from vacuum side of those diaster engines of that period. Your idea may be cheaper, easier to find in JY.

But back to Opti Vented it is specifically a filter first coming from distributor going to vacuum, I do not know if it's a one way also, One way may be thing in vacuum line to distributor?

Just have to find time to research it and the perfect parts will come together.

-= =-