Thread: ADX file format?

Fuel Injected!

ADX file format?

I am sure this information must be somewhere but I simply cannot find it. Where is the format description for the ADX (or ADS even) files for TunerPro RT. Surely there must be some documentation on this. Or is everyone just using copies of the first "golden" file to modify to their own uses? What if someone want to write a file from scratch? What guide does he/she use?
    Thanks
    ~~Gary~~
    1998 Trans Am, Stock, driven daily, original owner

Administrator
    They can be opened as a text file but I believe there is a tool in Tunerpro to allow one to define data items & etc.

Here are the first few lines of an adx:

<ADXFORMAT version="1.01">
    <!-- Written 12/14/2014 13:44:25 -->
    <ADXHEADER>
    <guid>d32320b3-f112-4e87-9847-4faad0f964a6</guid>
    <flags>0x10001</flags>
    <objectcount>117</objectcount>
    <userversion>$8D-1227730-V1.1</userversion>

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks but I know they are just text files and I know how they look. What I am asking is where is the detailed description of the format for each line in the files? How did someone write the first file?

Other than the procedure in TunerPro RT for creating a file, is there no written format for each entry?
    Last edited by GaryDoug; 08-17-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    ~~Gary~~

Administrator
    How did someone write the first file?
    .ADX and .ADS files are built from .ds text files. The .ds files, which are attributed to someone with a GM connection, magically appeared on diy-efi.org many years ago. They contain information to decode each byte of the datastream.

Here is a thread with more info:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...m-ALDL-DS-file

The ftp site at diy-efi.org has been down for years but the .DS files and a .zip of the directory contents can be found here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/aldl/

Fuel Injected!
    None of those answer my question. They are all about the data-stream definitions, which I understand is GM-proprietary and not officially published anywhere.
    What I am asking is about the format for the structure of the adx files, not the data-stream information. As it is now, the structure is buried in the TunerPro RT exe file. You plug in values to the tables for each operation and TunerPro RT translates them into the adx text file. But I must assume the format is not given anywhere readable, perhaps lest someone copies it and makes their own file generator?
    For example, one of the files I use has this in the first line: ADXFORMAT version="0.80"
    So the version 0.80 release and descriptions and revisions are where?
    The programmer guide would describe the line and section format, for example having to start a line with a "<" and end with a ">". The significance of the character "/". The description of the keywords, like "guid", "Objectcount", "Nodes", etc...
    Please don't bother telling me what each of the above means. I want to see the guide that explains them all. In most languages, this would be called the "Programmer's Guide" or "Format Guide", or...
    Should I assume nothing like that exists?
    ~~Gary~~

Administrator
    There is no need to get aggressive about this. I am not being obtuse.

IMO the question has changed slightly each time. If you feel I have gone around the answer then maybe it is because I have not had the insight to do otherwise. Maybe it was because you asked "is everyone just using copies of the first "golden" file to modify to their own uses?" and "What if someone wants to write a file from scratch?" In order to help I provided links and information that answered how people are creating files "from scratch" using datastream information and Tunerpro, and even showed a thread with posts by someone who actually used TP to make a definition. If you had left the question at the documentation portion then I would have remained silent.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    There is no need to get aggressive about this. I am not being obtuse.

IMO the question has changed slightly each time. If you feel I have gone around the answer then maybe it is because I have not had the insight to do otherwise. Maybe it was because you asked "is everyone just using copies of the first "golden" file to modify to their own uses?" and "What if someone wants to write a file from scratch?" In order to help I provided links and information that answered how people are creating files "from scratch" using datastream information and Tunerpro, and even showed a thread with posts by someone who actually used TP to make a definition. If you had left the question at the documentation portion then I would have remained silent.
    Why are you calling me out about this and what is this about being "aggressive"? It is a simple question. If you don't want me asking a question, just say so and I will leave and try elsewhere.
    ~~Gary~~

1project2many has answered the question, but to be a bit more to the point...

There is no official layout, or specifics to the file.

The version number you use as an example has zero to do with the actual ADX and everything to do with how the author of that particular ADX wished to lay it out and make comments/notes within the file.

The actual language seems to be very much like one of the common programmers languages I want to say similar to Python, but being more of a fan of C/C++ I don't recall the specifics of Python to be sure.

There is no official ADX programmers guide, only Mark Mansur knows all of the specifics and he, while not hiding anything about the ADX format has not made an official programmer's guide for people that want to create an ADX.

An ADX can be created from scratch without ever knowing any program languages, which is likely why Mark hasn't felt the need to create such a guide. As long as you can read a text file saved as a ".ds" file then an ADX can be created from within Tuner Pro RT.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi all. I haven't looked inside an adx file recently, but my recollection made me think they might be some kind of xml.

@GaryDoug: Are you planning to expand your Scan Application? Kudos for the hard work you put into that!

Administrator
    GaryDoug, are you hoping to convert ADX to another format? Are you hoping to use ADX with your tool?

Helpful suggestions may be available.