Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 c1500 with 7427 ECU newbie help

Electronic Ignition!

1995 c1500 with 7427 ECU newbie help

Hello,

I'm new at this and willing to learn, trying to figure out how to use this tuner pro. I'll start out with what I working on, I have a 1995 chevy C1500, the truck started out as a 4.3 with a 4L60E. then at some point it got converted to a 350 and it ran fine with a new chip. After several years the 350 gained a crack in the lifter galley and the block was junk. We put a running .030 over 454 that came out of another truck. We put a TBI adapter on the intake and put a 7.4 TBI body on. It ran great when it had a HEI and Carb. Now we can't get this motor to run with the TBI. It will start and rev up but it back fires a lot and will not idle at all. The motor does have a mild cam in it but nothing extreme. My buddy put all new sensors on it and we got all the codes cleared off so there no issue. I assume our main problem is with the cam being the vacuum isn't the same as a stock cam. I measured 14-15 hg of vacuum and good fuel pressue.

Now here we go with the tuner pro side of the story. I brought a APU1 from Moates and a G1 chip adapter, the computer in the truck is a 7427. I finally got around to installing everything today and unsure if I did everything right. I followed the stickeys the best I could to set it up but seems like I wasn't getting anywhere and getting more confused. I have the tuner pro RT. I down loaded both 1993_Chevy_7.4L_Stage_1.bin and BJYL 350 TBI 700r4.zip
    bins. I tried the 7.4 being it was the only 7.4 file I saw, and the BYJL being that was was the chip that it had in it. then I installed Advanced $0D TP5 v251.xdf and the A218 Trans2 $0D TP5 v250.adx files, and uploaded all 3 into tuner pro like the newbie page told me. Then I took my lap top out to the truck and plugged everything in to the apu1 (computer to apu1, apu1 into OB1 port, and also apu1 into the G1 on the ECU) I believe I had everything set up right, the tuner pro found the aup1 in com 3. I was trying to run the truck off the tuner pro but it wouldn't start so I'm not sure where I went wrong. Did I download the wrong files? I assume that it's user error on my part. Also as I looked into the files, there so much in there, and I'm not sure where to start on adjusting timing and the map sensor. Is there any pages that someone could direct me to to help me understand what files I need to fix and what files I need to stay out of? I was looking at youtube and other sites and their stuff looks different than what I was looking at. Which I would assume it the differences in the Bin.

Thanks
    Jim

Use $0E for a 454. The $0D code is for a 350, not much would work right. Spark and fuel way different. Also, your 4l60e won't last very long behind a 454, so be prepared to change that.

EDIT... I did find a $0D 454 bin, but given that the 4l60e won't last I would go straight to $0E and an appropriate bin in your apu to start.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 08-15-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    I might not be reading you correctly but data logging has obd1 port to apu to computer. Eulating has computer to apu to ecm. Also switches in back of apu depending on what you are doing. Moates has a pic direction on their site.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks, I'll check into that more. this isn't my truck, My buddy that I'm helping said this trans is built up and stuff done to it, we will see what he ends up doing. I'm just trying to get it to run for him.

Maybe I misunderstood the directions somewhere I'll check into that, I had both hooked up. Thanks

You are also using the wrong adx, that is for transmission definitions. Use a217 definition for tuning
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for letting me know that, I really appreciate it.

Fuel Injected!
    Although you can wreck both motors and transmission with bad tunes it is way easier to wreck a trans and not see it coming than a motor. If I were fooling with your system I would use the tune that ran well with the 4l60e as a starter. Then find a $OE 7.4 tune from a motor similar to what you now have and transpose the engine parameters to your original 350/4l60 chip and that should get you started so you can do some data logging and and be as kind as possible to your 4l60e. As pointed out if you wail on the 454 the 60e will not like it.

Electronic Ignition!
    that sounds like a really good idea, I told him he would need a trans change but it his truck. He does all my body work/ paint work on my cars and truck so we bartered a deal where he would do body work if I get his truck going with the TBI. Not only I'm doing this for him, I'm also trying to get my feet wet when I do a LS conversion on a 1955 chevy pick up so this will help me understand better. I used to work at a Carb shop called APD so I have a general understanding on motors but don't know much with EFI thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a good way to go until he nukes it

Fuel Injected!
    One other thing you might not be aware of is there are two different 454 tbi setups. One is dsigned for 12-13 fuel pressure and one for 28-30 fuel pressure.

Electronic Ignition!
    I think this has the 30psi system being it's a 1995.

so If I'm reading this correct I would need a $OE 7.4 Bin, with a A217 $0D TP5 v250.adx and Advanced $0D TP5 v251.xdf files from the 7427 $0D section on this site? I'm currently trying to upload the files from the current chip but I'm still working on figuring how to view it. once I get past this learning curve it should get easier

Electronic Ignition!
    nevermind, I was able to save the bin from the chip and used the a217 adx file and the xdf file above and now I can see data, at least I hope i did it right

Fuel Injected!
    I don't know about the 4.3 trucks but trucks that came with a 350 had low pressure pumps (12-13) and only if it came with a 7.4 would it have the high pressure pump and being as it is a 1500 which never came with a 7.4 in 95 I would say it has the low pressure pump. You can either install a higher pump or find 7.4 injector from a pre 94. You need OD adx to read and change your chip. You need OE to read a 7.4 bin to find the numbers such as spark, ve and settings. It is possible the OD would read the OE engine paramaters-- don't know but the other way would be the safest.

Electronic Ignition!
    Oh ok, yea I see what you're saying now, I was able to check the pressure today and put a adjustable reg on it, after adjusting it I got 18psi of pressure, so that makes sense now being it was a 4.3/5.7 truck, I talked to my buddy and he thought he put a 2500 pump in it but maybe he brought a 5.7 low pressure pump, we will change it out. I would think it would still idle at 18psi, just be lean on the top end until we get it fixed with the right pump.

I also starting to understand the tuner pro better now with what you posted, I gotta download the OD adx and xdf files to read the 5.7 bin that came with the truck, then I also need to download the OE files for a 6395 ECM for the 7.4 bin, adx and xdf files so I can read the 7.4 bin, then I can compare the engine data and make the changes I need to make.

Thanks for the help, I don't want to become that annoying guy that keep asking stuff. I been reading several topics trying to learn this. I just printed off eaglemark programming 101 post to help me do any changes

Fuel Injected!
    Just to keep the curves coming, if you elect to keep the low pressure system and get some pre 94 injectors they will have from something earlier which might be for instance 7060 which used a $85 adx. You would need that to read the injector flow to put into your OD bn.

Electronic Ignition!
    oh there a possibility, I'll have to see what he wants to do, this stuff is starting to make sense now,

Do you know of a form on here or a site I can reference, that list what tables we use to do the adjusting and what tables we leave alone? Looking at the bin I see there several tables under spark advance, I wasn't sure if I should take the time to change all the tables so that they are the same as the 7.4 or if I only need to change certain ones and the other tables will update automatically. I hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question to ask. Being there are 396 treads on here, I didn't know if I overlooked a important tread, the programming 101 is the only one I printed off so far, but I'm still looking through treads when I get time away from the Railroad.

Thanks