Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: My $59 problems/tuning a turbo camaro

Yea, watching your video and hearing the turbo makes me want one!
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Boost is very addictive.
    Yes im learning that now..Its hard to drive the car normally....
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
    Yes im learning that now..Its hard to drive the car normally....
    I tend to lie to myself and say that eventually you'll drive it nicely after a while, but you never get to that point, even when you're trying to be a nice driver, you can't help but watch that boost gauge wrap deep into the positive pressure side every now and then...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Got to drive the car today..50 and sunny in ohio???? Weird but i am NOT complaining. I added 1-4* of timing in the 0-6psi area since thats what I was pushing today. The added timing helped alot!!! Faster, more responsive, and else then one pull with less then 1* of retard, I never had any knock retard(and I had about 6-9 pulls on boost,IIRC) I added the log if anyone wants to look at it in excel.

One question though(sixshooter can ya help me here?)For the boost sileniod, Do i just hook the vac line from the turbo into the sileniod and the output on the sileniod goes to the wastegate????
    Also out of the four F70/71 tables, which ones should I set up for desired boost, as code59 confused me... Sorry im such a newbe sometimes!!Do I use them all or just two of them, and are there any other tables that need modded to work for my application of boost control?? Thanks!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, look at the pictures I posted, I believe they show which port goes to which.

There are really only two pairs of tables. What you will find is that the desired boost VS TPS (F70) and the Desired boost VS MPH (F70_MPH) are actually the same table, just in the stock $58 code, there was only the VS TPS table, $59 added or rather changed it to the VS MPH table. it is selectable which one actually gets used in the flags. The wastegate duty cycle tables (F71, F71_MPH) are there in the same way, one was a stock table, the other was added by $59. Don't worry too much about the duty cycle tables to start with, they are used as an initial DC for controlling boost, they can be used to reduce spiking or under achieving set boost pressure.
    Just make sure the proper flags are set for the tables you want to use.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

OK thanks on the tips sixshooter,
    (MPH_ F70 for desired boost F70) and use (MPH_F70 for boost initial cycle duty F71) These are the flags I have checked. That definitly makes sence! Thank you!

One last Question and ill stop beiing innoying

On the tables themselves, I had 22.3 in all the boxes, I know i need to change those values but I dont quite understand what the top values are on the table?? MPH? TPS?? It goes from 30 up to 80 On the desired boost.
    And on the wastegate table it goes from 0-80??? If that value is in TPS signal, does the value number of 80 continue to 100TPS%??....... If I wanted 10psi of boost couldnt I just fill that whole table up with that value on the desired boost?
    Last edited by fasteddi; 02-23-2012 at 01:54 AM.

The top value is MPH for the MPH table, TPS for the TPS table. The lowest setting is 30 MPH. IIRC, what ever is in the 30 MPH cells will be used below 30 MPH.

The top value is MPH for the MPH table, TPS for the TPS table. The lowest setting is 30 MPH. IIRC, what ever is in the 30 MPH cells will be used below 30 MPH.
    Ok then Im gonna use the MPH table for desired boost and just input the same value for the whole table as that would control the wastegate no matter how fast im going. It was set at 22.3 PSI wow!!! Thats a accident waiting to happen for a newbe like me..LOL But I wouldnt do that, I watch that laptop more then the road... Just hope a deer doesnt run out in front of me(I live out in the sticks)

The duty cycle_MPH is all over the place. I know you said dont worrie about it but wont it affect my concept for controling boost through the silenoid?

Yes, it will effect boost control, but it's a fine tuning thing. There's no way to set or adjust it before actually driving the car. It's a reactive to set table, where you have to see what actually happens before you can actually adjust it. It may not need any adjustment.

Ok thank you!

Ok I got the boost silenoid, im wireing it up and when i ran the Vac lines, I just ran the turbo boost outlet to the sileniod and the one vac line out of the controler to the side of the wastegate?? Is that sound right? I have a external WG with a port on top and one on the bottom side, and that sileniod controler has one port in and 2 ports out, although one of the outgoing ports has a filter cover over it. Im sure ill figure it out when im done wireing but thought I see if that sounds right?? Thanks!!

Six shooter, you said wire the one to F2 and the other to a switched ignition????? No ground anywhere?? I dont wana fry the silenoild

Having issues getting this thing to work... I have the vac lines t-ed off the turbo boost port, one goes to the inlet of the silenoid the other to the lower port on the WG. Then the output side of the silenoid I have a hose ran to the top port of the wastegate.

Wired into F2 on the ECU and other wire is grounded. No dice. the sileniod does read a small amount of vts with the ignition on. .5-1Vts.

Ok im giving up for the night.... F2 is suppose to output vts when the ignition is on and its not!!! Driving me nuts. Its 0 vts on my meter.. What am I doing wrong! Im literly banging my head right now!

Oh crap..Is the ground through the ECU pulse width mod?? And the switched power is the 12vts to the solenoid?? Then the thing was wired backwards when i wired it(it had 2 grounds) Was that my Problem??

Heres the soleniod, the blue hose is t-ed to the wastegate reference, the turbo boost port, and obvously into the solenoid. The (left hose) is ran out to the top port on the Wastegate. I think that is all ran ok. Its just the wiring that is driving me up a wall!

Heres where I put the output hose from the solenoid... top port of WG

The only thing I accomplished on my day off was that the piping doesnt looked so rigged, as I painted it with some heat paint and mounted a good anough air filter for now.

Last edited by fasteddi; 02-25-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Yes, it will effect boost control, but it's a fine tuning thing. There's no way to set or adjust it before actually driving the car. It's a reactive to set table, where you have to see what actually happens before you can actually adjust it. It may not need any adjustment.
    With that said is it supposed to anything if not commanded to? Does it give power when commanded to open wastegate? If so there would be no power key on or at idle, only when commannded to during boost. What does that table say?

What did F2 do before on your wiring diagrams? Looking at other diagrams for soliniod it has power going in and ECM is ground, other soliniods have power, ground and a wire into ECM.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-