Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: My $59 problems/tuning a turbo camaro

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
    @ Six shooter, Ill look into those silenoid boost controlers, I did see the boost settings in the mask but was unsure which Pin I would use to wire in the controler, I might just get a better (ceramic) boost controler for now then when I can afford the silenoid and a emulator(this spring) Ill make those purchases. 18* of timing retard??? Really? Wow. I stoped looking at the knock count as it doesnt like to reset the #' and the knock retard is a instant result if knock is present and the ECU is pulling timing out.
    Rbob just posted some part numbers on TGO for you.

Yes, 18 degrees, I took care of it rather quickly.

I also have other contributing factors that for me "knock" will never go away, my valve train is completely mechanical and VERY noisy, so I suspect a lot of my "knock" comes from that. I also suspect that some of what the KS was picking was due to the tranny, since it was always at the same RPM in each gear. I've fixed my tranny now, so I'm hoping that any bits that were floating around in the tranny won't be picked up now. That is the difficult thing about looking at knock reporting on a laptop screen, the KS doesn't know if it's really knock, or just a sound in the same frequency range as knock. You have to determine for yourself, just what is and is not really knock.

Another copy/paste:

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
    Go to the wreckers and look at mid '80s to mid '90s GM cars and trucks for the EGR solenoid that looks like the solenoid I posted above. Grab it and the plug. The ECM pin is the same one that the '7749 uses, which I don't recall the pin off hand. The solenoid is simply wired on one side to 12V ignition, the other side to the ECM pin.

I can't help you on the TCC stuff, I run a manual tranny, sorry. I know there has been discussion on it at c59.org, so check there.

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

The last adx I saw you had shows the knock history table to show knock counts, what I did on my LT1 was change it to show knock retard, this is only possible when the ALDL data has the knock retard amount in the data flow with knock counts. This will give you degrees on advance taken out in each cell, not just that knock counts increased in that cell.

My experiance with narrow band simulaters has been a let down... was better to tune open loop and wide band which is pretty fast with an Emulater...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    My experiance with narrow band simulaters has been a let down... was better to tune open loop and wide band which is pretty fast with an Emulater...
    +1^, my experience as well.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    +1^, my experience as well.
    Well i got the wide band and always am in open loop, the non-boost(under 100kpa) tables are great, so is idle as im concened but the WOT needs work. I just need to learn a faster way to tune using the chip method that im stuck with for now.
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Rbob just posted some part numbers on TGO for you.

Yes, 18 degrees, I took care of it rather quickly.

I also have other contributing factors that for me "knock" will never go away, my valve train is completely mechanical and VERY noisy, so I suspect a lot of my "knock" comes from that. I also suspect that some of what the KS was picking was due to the tranny, since it was always at the same RPM in each gear. I've fixed my tranny now, so I'm hoping that any bits that were floating around in the tranny won't be picked up now. That is the difficult thing about looking at knock reporting on a laptop screen, the KS doesn't know if it's really knock, or just a sound in the same frequency range as knock. You have to determine for yourself, just what is and is not really knock.

Another copy/paste:

Thanks sixshooter, ill look for one at a j/y but they are scarse arround here, Ill probly just get one off the net if I can fine one at a decent price.

I was at the wreckers today, and the '93 (maybe earlier) to '95 full size TBI GM trucks had a EGR solenoid that looks like it would also work for controlling boost.

If you can't find one, let me know, I'll grab one for you.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I was at the wreckers today, and the '93 (maybe earlier) to '95 full size TBI GM trucks had a EGR solenoid that looks like it would also work for controlling boost.

If you can't find one, let me know, I'll grab one for you.
    If you can find one and you know where its at, can you just pick it up and ill paypal ya some $$ just let me know? The closest j/y is 30 miles from here and there horrible ones....

Administrator
    EGR solenoids operate in reverse from boost control solenoids. The boost solenoids connect the supply line to the turbo when they are off. It's a safety in case the ECM or the EGR fails so the system won't overboost. Most EGR solenoids connect the source line to vent to disable EGR operation unless commanded otherwise. Again, a default value thing so the EGR doesn't apply whenever vacuum is applied.

I only know because I needed to buy the boost solenoid when I put the Toyota together. I was sooo happy when I managed to dig out an EGR solenoid then I realized that it wasn't going to work after going through all those boxes...

Would this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-214-...728#vi-content and http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Boost-con...item1c1baf06fa this be fine. Also I know one wire goes to F2 on the ecu... whats the other wire go to... ground right???LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
    Would this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-214-...728#vi-content and http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Boost-con...item1c1baf06fa this be fine. Also I know one wire goes to F2 on the ecu... whats the other wire go to... ground right???LOL
    Yep, that'll work.

The other side goes to 12v ignition.

The EGR solenoids I have found work just like the boost control solenoid.

EGR is just a solenoid that connects one port to either vacuum or atmosphere, wastegate is held closed by spring and opened by vacuum so just modulating the vacuum passed on to the wastegate should work. Good idea.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Yep, that'll work.

The other side goes to 12v ignition.

Well im just gonna go ahead and order them an hope the get here soon so i can tune better. So one goes to 12vt ignition and the other the F2 pin. Sounds easy.. That on the F70/F71 tables only to control right?? Thank again sixshooter!!!!

F2 is the air select valve control on my 7730ecu.. Does that sound right for a pinout for the boost silenoid? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok well the silenoid is shipped.. thankfully. Im dying to turn the boost to 10psi and tune. Stuffs addictive!!!!!!

Boost is very addictive.