We are currently stuck in limp mode in Raton, NM. I think either my memcal or my chip are bad, or both.

This morning I made some changes to my .bin; VE table, spark advance, and deceleration enleanment. Burned the bin to my chip, verified it, and put it back in the PCM. Immediately upon starting I had a check engine light. I tried connecting the apu1 to read the error code, but it wouldn't connect. I have all the ports and setting and files correct. I tried switching to my spare PCM, no connection. I tried doiong a jumper wire in the obd1 port to read error codes, no connection, CEL solid on. I swapped out my memcal for one I have from the spare computer, and was able to connect using the jumper and using the apu1, got a code 12. I have tried every combination of memcal, PCM, and chip. I can only connect when it has just the memcal from the 4l60e vehicle. If I put the G1 adaptor with the good memcal, I can't connect the apu1 and it never goes into closed loop. I can run the known good memcal and it goes into closed loop but it won't shift into 2nd since that memcal is from a 4l60e.

Another thing that happened was during troubleshooting, I took the chip and put it in the apu1 and tried to verify the file. It said not verified a few times. I then noticed that the chip was getting hot, quite hot! Everything was plugged in correctly. I disconnected and restarted everything and was able to get the chip to burn again and verify, but I strill have no connectivity.

We are in sort of a bad way here. We are attempting a family vacation to Colorado and are stuck 536 miles from home. We have a small tow vehicle that I can drive to get parts, and we can drive this van in limp mode, but it runs very rich and I'm afraid of damaging something.

What should I do? Is it probably a bad memcal, or a bad chip, or both? Why did this happen? How screwed are we?