Thread: Starting a 2008 Corvette stolen recovery..(VATS- On-Star etc)

Starting a 2008 Corvette stolen recovery..(VATS- On-Star etc)

A buddy just picked up a stolen recovery 2008 Corvette. The car was stripped including the drive-line. The engine was replaced with another LS engine guessing in the 2007 range. The car has the key-less FOB system.

When he first got it it would start and run for a few seconds then shut down, recently the car does not respond when the start button is pushed, nothing, no dash lights, start button glows orange then goes back to green after a period (battery is full).

Would like to begin with scanning the car for codes, VIN etc but can't since the car won't enter the on/run mode can't read any data.

My goal would be to just get the car running so it can moved around his shop on it's own power if possible...but this system is new to me.

Some thoughts relate to VATS, On-Star may have shut the car down, could I get the 12612384 pcm flashed with a basic run condition to begin with or does it need to link up with the BCM for other functions?

Any suggestions....

Thanks

I wonder if flashing the E38 ECM like it was an engine transplant would be an option. I'm thinking if you disabled VATS and disabled all the CAN 2 communications, the Vette should be able to drive.

dave w

Thanks Dave

Was just thinking, he has the windows open because the keyless power locks won't work with the fob or buttons. The only way to open the door is with the manual emergency lever on the floor.

Fuel Injected!
    You will not be able to turn-on the power in the car unless you get the BCM working. To bypass the BCM you'd have to jumper out the BCM ignition power switching as well as provide a pushbutton to engage the starter. Besides programming the PCM to eliminate the VATS.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    You will not be able to turn-on the power in the car unless you get the BCM working. To bypass the BCM you'd have to jumper out the BCM ignition power switching as well as provide a pushbutton to engage the starter. Besides programming the PCM to eliminate the VATS.
    OK that makes sense..I try to locate a schematic for it..

Thanks