Thread: 454 tbi questions

Carb and Points!

454 tbi questions

I have a 454 tbi 4l80e, suburban.

Looking to take a perfectly running engine and destroy it. I know that there is a small hiccup for gen 5 motors with the coolant passages. I have read that using a specific gasket remedies this but also have read you are simply limited to 300-400 hp because of this. Now Im sure that hasn't stopped others from making more.

I am basically looking around for a decent setup to net me around 650-700 flywheel so I can get around 500rwhp. I am planning on running a 395 tire thus the desire for around 500wheel hp. However I don't want to build an engine and then have to switch to carb because no one can actually tune it.

So if a tuner has a solid tune for a engine in that 650-700 ball park and has a build list that'd be awesome. I realize a lot will get changed out but that doesn't scare me, what scares me is hours and hours of work being wasted when I am forced to run a carb. Carbs are great but here in florida I have had endless issues trying to drive carb cars in 2+ hour traffic in 100+ heat. Also everything works perfect in this truck and its absolutely mint soooooo its a super candidate to build me dream walmart crawler.

Have seen endless threads on heads only common denominator is to get rid of the peanut ports. I was looking at a 502/540/572 stroker kit in, some decent cam and intake. I mostly plan to take the truck camping, to the beach, and some mudhole fuckery, I wont crawl with it, and I honestly probably wont tow shit with it.
    Last edited by TRICKy; 07-01-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Have you considered a Crate 572?

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...z-572-620.html

dave w

Maybe the LSX 454R Crate Engine will fit your needs?

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...lsx-454-r.html

dave w

Carb and Points!
    You know I have, but the cost considering I have a solid low miles engine I dont see a point. I am an LS guy made the move from bbp's a while ago. I just have noticed how hard it sometimes is to get a quality tune on these. I end up going carb ill probably just put a ls3 in. I have a brand new 4.8 sitting in my garage that I have toy'd hooking up to the 4l80e but again id like to keep the 454.

If you want an honest 650+ FWHP ditch the idea of throttle body and go to MPFI. A (stock) 2bbl TBI just won't get you there. also with the amount of fuel needed fuel distribution will be ok at best, where as MPFI will make sure that there is an adequate supply of fuel to each cylinder.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Well at those prices I might as well go carb. I was hoping to get the throttle body injection worked.

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKy View Post
    Well at those prices I might as well go carb. I was hoping to get the throttle body injection worked.
    Maybe an EBL system running 2 TBI throttle bodies? http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Choice.php
    Maybe use a BBC dual carburetor intake with TBI adapter plates?

dave w