Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing ...help!! 94 k1500, 5.7, $OD, 7427

Carb and Points!
    I don't think it would hurt to replace the dizzy. Get a D.U.I. unit if you do. Also, what shape is your AC compressor in? I had false knock all over my spark map years ago and couldn't figure it out. Ended up being a bearing going out in my AC compressor. Took care of it, false knock went away.
    1995 Chevy ECSB C1500: Holley Stealth Ram 406, 7427 in MPFI mode, NV4500, 14 Bolt FF Rear, Custom Beam Axle Front, 4.56 Gears, Detroit Locker

Fuel Injected!
    My vortec distributor (1998 4.3l v6)can't be turned either way but are u sure distributor is installed correctly? like its not advanced a tooth or something similar?

Big...I've checked my timing at least a handful of times just to be sure, so I think it's good but I am going to pull my dizzy out tomorrow to check shaft end play. Read a few great threads on a different forums tonight about this topic...mine has to have about 1/4" vertical play in it. Opinions vary but the majority from what I read tonight feel the correct spec is 0.012" - 0.015". Even if it isn't my knock issue it can't be helping my timing.

AxisT6 - Never thought about the ac compressor...worth a look. Also can't say i had heard of a DUI distributor. If i end up going that way, I'll definitely look into these.

Thanks.

I checked my distributor, I guess I over exaggerated a little. 0.055" vertical play and 0.005" side to side. I don't believe either is really bad enough to contribute to spark scatter. I'll shim out the vertical play and reinstall it for now. Maybe down the road I'll replace it.

Another thing I keep going back to in my head...Was eliminating the EGR a mistake? Has anyone ever had this knocking issue because they eliminated the EGR or cured knocks because they reinstalled it? I eliminated it just because it was easier than buying the tube and messing around with plumbing it in. Not to mention I'm not certain the EGR will fit under the bracket coming off of the AC compressor to the intake. Any thoughts?

Fuel Injected!
    did you acutaly disable the egr,or just the part to keep the check engine light off?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dispoejoe95 View Post
    Another thing I keep going back to in my head...Was eliminating the EGR a mistake? Has anyone ever had this knocking issue because they eliminated the EGR or cured knocks because they reinstalled it? I eliminated it just because it was easier than buying the tube and messing around with plumbing it in. Not to mention I'm not certain the EGR will fit under the bracket coming off of the AC compressor to the intake. Any thoughts?
    I deleted my EGR with the 0411 intake and then removed the valve and pipe when the Marine intake went on. EGR has its on spark adder tables it uses when it turns on.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    did you acutaly disable the egr,or just the part to keep the check engine light off?
    No, I've definitely done more that just disable the error code 32. Over time, in desperation i guess, I started adjusted things just to see what it would do, if anything. Here is the list of EGR related changes I've made.

1) SCALERS - MINIMUM EGR TEMP ADJUSTED TO 151° C
    2) FLAGS - SINGLE PASS EGR TEST - UNCHECKED
    3) EGR CODE 32 - UNCHECKED
    4) Desired EGR vs RPM vs Vacuum - Table set to zeros
    5) SCALERS - Minimum Speed for EGR maxed out
    6) Scalers - Max TPS for EGR enable from 64.8% to 0%
    7) EGR Spark Correction vs. RPM vs Vacuum to 0
    8) Desired EGR Gain Factor vs Temp to 0
    9) egr fuel reduction vs RPM vs Vacuum set to 0's
    10) Backpressure EGR - not set
    11) Altitude spark bias adjusted to zero
    12) EGR start up temp from 14.8° C to 151° C
    Last edited by dispoejoe95; 08-07-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I deleted my EGR with the 0411 intake and then removed the valve and pipe when the Marine intake went on. EGR has its on spark adder tables it uses when it turns on.
    Would this be the "EGR Spark Correction vs. RPM vs Vacuum" in the $0D mask?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dispoejoe95 View Post
    Would this be the "EGR Spark Correction vs. RPM vs Vacuum" in the $0D mask?
    That would be the one, should not be in use with the EGR temp constants changed to disable it however. I always Zero it out anyway.

Fuel Injected!
    on older ecms the egr leans the mixture out as it adds timming that is proble what adds to more mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    on older ecms the egr leans the mixture out as it adds timming that is proble what adds to more mpg.
    Interesting, I hadn't thought about that. To offset the "used" up exhaust gases being introduced into the combustion chamber. Controlled by "EGR fuel reduction vs RPM vs Vacuum"... right? I have set to Ø so I think I have this taken care of and my mixture shouldn't be leaning out. Looking at my WB02, it doesn't appear to be lean at all. Hard on the throttle average AFR is 11.5 to 12.5. If anything, maybe it's a little too rich.

Fuel Injected!
    on the ecm files I have messed with example the bpw is 181, when the computer calls for the egr it changes the bpw to 164 and adds timming but if the egr opens then you have a vacuum leak and the map rises putting in more fuel. playing with egr %,or correction or bpw when the egr is called for is how I tunned my egr but I don't have a wide band o2sensor just the blms and the set of my pants.this sounds funny but I smoothed them 3 tables when I tought it was correct and it seamed to smooth it out.