Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Z71 5.7 EFI->Vortec heads-CFSI-BlackBox PCM conversion. Trans wiring problem((

Fuel Injected!

Chevy Z71 5.7 EFI->Vortec heads-CFSI-BlackBox PCM conversion. Trans wiring problem((

Hi there everyone,

So I have now a problem with hocking up my automatic transmission 4L60E I believe, on my 1990 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 EFI, to my new setup of Vortec conversion withe vortec manifold and CSFI spider injector system and BlackBox PCM. The thing is, my transmission has only one 4 pin connector with 3 wires (one empty), out of the case. And a speed sensor in transfer case (since it is a 4wd vehicle).

So i have a wiring diagram for 1990 Chevy pickup K1500, ECM unit pinout chart for it as well.

I as well have pinout chart for 1996-1999 Vortec BlackBox PCM, Tahoe 5.7 Vortec wiring diagram. (it if the donor I used for my conversion).

Still cannot really be sure, where I should connect the 3 wires from the trans case to. In addition, the 2 wire from the speed sensor, since originally the go to the digital ration adapter.

If anyone has such experience or knowledge, please help and share. Thank you guys, I have been building up this project for three years now, has a lot more to do on it, but at least now the track is ready to run, can’t wait to finally take it out to the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    I dont have all the answers (or any for that matter) but it seems when i had a vortec in my el camino (with black box) i still had to use a drac (vss buffer)...(had third gen camaro guages so i used the buffer box behind the speedo) IIRC i took the parking pawl from a late 4l60 and swapped into my 700r4 in order to use the prndl switch from a 98 4l60e .....(maybe you don't need it?) i believe you would want to use the speed sensor in the transfer case (final drive and all) the four pin connector on the trans will be converter lockup control, there may be better ways now,but we just left the lockup control mechanical, wired through the brake switch and a vacuum switch. had to turn off a couple trans codes too ........ (the black box puts out a pwm signal for lockup, no good with 700r4 converter), im sure more knowledgable folks will chime in soon... Good luck, sounds like a fun project.
    Last edited by skandolis; 06-24-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksl View Post
    my automatic transmission 4L60E I believe, on my 1990 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 EFI, to my new setup of Vortec conversion with ... BlackBox PCM. The thing is, my transmission has only one 4 pin connector with 3 wires (one empty), out of the case. And a speed sensor in transfer case (since it is a 4wd vehicle) ... where I should connect the 3 wires from the trans case to. In addition, the 2 wire from the speed sensor, since originally the go to the digital ration adapter
    The transmission is a 700R4, not a 4L60E. The 4 pin connector (with only 3 pins used) was for the TCC Lockup. A 4L60E has a 20 pin connector (with 13 pins used). The Blackbox PCM won't control just the TCC Lockup. You either need to install an actual 4L60E transmission, or for the purposes of the PCM, treat the current transmission as if it were a manual transmission.

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you both, for a quick reply. And thank you for correcting and specifying the transmission model, i could not find this info.

- Ok, so let me clear out a few things, and get a more clear support from your side. Now when i am in driving mode "D" and i have my brackes pressed, the PCM doesn`t see that I`m in "D", so the car whants to roll, but since I`m pushing brackes and don`t let it roll, the engine is allmost shuting of, lowering and puting up the rpm, so the rpm is unstable. I thought is becouse of speed sensor not connected and transmission, now as I understand it has nothing to do with that, i gues i have to connect something from the dash (gear shifting mechanism neer the dash) to the PCM to fix that, do you know something about it, can you give an advice or some info?

- Ok, you made it clear for me that the blackBox PCM can not only controll my TCC Lockup, and that i can treat the current transmissiom as a manual one. So i have a couple of questions:
    1. I don`t realy have a clear picture of what TCC Lockup does, do i need it in normal driving for automatic transmission to make correct gear shifting up or down, or is it used to transfer torque or power to the front axis when i put 4wd. If i only need it for 4wd, than i`m fine with that, just then were do i need to plug it for power, and from wich wires do i need to make a switch for it to work?
    2. The speed sensor from the trans case, shall i conect that somewhere, since the all af the transmission generations have that, so i gues i shoul not let it out, and plug it as well, but the question is, should i plug it directly to the PCM (BlackBox), or through the digital ration adapter, as on my wiring diagram? and in eathe way, what wires should go where? ))

Thank you in advance!

Fuel Injected!
    Skandolis - i just understood what drac is, could you please specify what IIRC is please?

Fuel Injected!
    IIRC is "If I Recall Correctly." i.e. something remembered.

Programming your black box PCM, you want the PCM to ignore the auto transmission, as if there were a manual transmission installed. GM cars that have auto/manual versions have programming provisions for both, but with a manual, the only PCM interaction with the transmission is with the VSS in the tailshaft. An example is the F-Body car line from 1993-2002. I have 2 94 F-Bodies; one manual, one auto. They both have provisioning for auto trans features in the PCM's programming. The manual only sends output shaft rotations as electrical pulses which the PCM calculates against the wheel rotations per mile for vehicle speed.

It is not uncommon to do a manual lockup switch for the torque converter/ TCC lockup solenoid. Your 3 pins to your transmission I'm guessing are power, ground, ECM (PCM) signal.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, thank you for info
    Now it starts to get more clear. So for the truck and pcm to stay still when I apply brakes, an have stable engine running I need to install the rrndl from a later model with 4l60e.
    And connect the speed sensor through the drac to pcm, just need to know which plug and pin.
    If I got it all right, if not please correct.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Aksl; 06-25-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi again everyone, thank you for your help once again!

Now I have a question of recommendation, what would you recommend me for my truck, should I live the 700R4/4l60 transmission and make all the changes for it to function, or should I install the 4l60E transmission in ?

Fuel Injected!
    Have another issue, may be someone can help:

When just starting the car, it should rise the idle/rpm, until it warms, and then drop automatically, well my doesn't bring the rpm up, it is not any sensors, because they have all been checked, and no fault code. The question is, from where the pcm takes the info to rise rpm at cold start?

Fuel Injected!
    What tuning software are you using ? Post the calibration from the PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi, well, I did not flash it myself, a programmer did it for me via EEPROM device. On Monday I will ask him to send it to me. I would like to learn how to do it myself, but I can't yet figure it all out yet, have a lot of questions.. (and in the net could not find a step by step how to explanation).
    Last edited by Aksl; 06-25-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Fuel Injected!

Calibration .bin from my PCM.

Finally i managed to gain my .bin, now understood my fault, so i do not have xdf file made from my bin, and now trying to figure out how to extract it. have alot of reading to do. Since i`m a newbe and onli have my bin.((
    Last edited by Aksl; 06-30-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Fuel Injected!

Need some help falks..

Is there anyone who can have a look at my .bin file, and help me out or guide me with what i have to do next to read it corectly or extract or make an .xdf file from it, and give some info on what i have to do next, at least to give me some links to read and learn how and what to do, for me to escape or at least to minimize all mistakes i can make by finding this all out myself as a newbe ???

because now i`m a bit lost with all bunch of info i find on this mater...(((

Thank you all in advace!
    Last edited by Aksl; 07-01-2016 at 12:38 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    To recap ....

You have a 5.7L L31 engine and a 700R4 transmission in a 1990 Silverado. Your PCM (Blackbox) and calibration is for a 1999 4x4 5.7L L31 engine with a 4L60E transmission (OS 9365085).

You mentioned having issues with an unstable Idle when in "D", with the brakes applied. The PCM will not detect the 700R4 transmission as being present, and without a VSS signal the PCM won't be able to differentiate stationary from moving conditions. Do you have a Brake Switch signal wired to C4 (Black) pin 10 ?

You mentioned that the Idle does not increase from a cold start, and then decrease as it warms up. The Idle speed table does not cause a significant increase in Idle RPM until the ECT (engine coolant temperature) is less than 10 degrees Celsius, which it likely never will be during the summer months. The startup "adder" table will increase the Idle RPM between 15 RPM and 75 RPM (based on ECT), so this additional RPM will not really be noticeable.

You mentioned wanting to make an XDF file from the BIN file - it doesn't work that way. Creating an XDF file is a huge undertaking, and one that most people do not have the skills or equipment to accomplish.

The BIN you posted has been significantly modified. Many diagnostics have been needlessly disabled - Knock sensor, Misfire detection, TPS, CKP, CMP, and more. The base AFR for stoichiometry has been increased (leaned out), PE has been significantly altered, and Torque Management has been disabled - just to name a few of the many changes.

Lastly, you asked for guidance on what to do next. As stated in post #3, either install an actual 4L60E transmission and connect it to the PCM, or have the calibration reworked to essentially treat the 700R4 transmission as a manual. Either way, make sure that you have VSS and Brake inputs connected to the PCM. Once you get that far, then additional fine tuning could occur.

Fuel Injected!
    Wow, LRT, thank you very much for such a helpful and unambiguous explanation, point to point, step by step! It is very helpful, i really appreciate.

Will check if my vss is connected to my pcm and that my brake sensor is as well connected.

About the transmission, will install the parking pawl inside the transmission from a later 4L60E, with a longer axle sticking out, to install the prndl switch (already got one and the parking pawl), so I will connect it via original 1999 wiring (didn’t cut any wires of it, icase i would need to connect something in future).

I wonder if i did the right thing, leaving my old transmission, and not switching the electronic one.

I still want to learn how to make an xdf, and in future would like to install marine manifold and convert to 411 pcm.

Once again, thank you very much, for taking some time to reply on my issue!
    Last edited by Aksl; 07-02-2016 at 01:30 AM.