Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSS from Speedo to ECM or DRAC/VSSB 4L60E

Fuel Injected!

VSS from Speedo to ECM or DRAC/VSSB 4L60E

On my S10 pickup '7427 conversion , I used the VSS behind the dash cluster and inputed it to the '7427 via F13 , Everything worked fine . it is a stick box however.

So I guess my question , is do I have to run a VSSB/DRAC to control a 4L60E ? Or will the input at F13 be OK for a speed siginal for the 4L60E ?

Sorry for the thread Jack Mark :)

TOM

We're used to hijacked threads around here, but that's a good question and I think I'm going to make a topic out of it... It would boil down to what signal comes from VSS behind speedo, most all I know of went to DRAC/VSSB

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Cool , Thanks Mark

The output from the cluster mount optical VSS is 2000PPM that I inputed into F13 , it is what the PCM wanted to see there so all works well.

I just have to wonder if all of the '60e controls will work with just that input ....

TOM

You must use the VSS in the tranny through a DRAC, for tranny control. The 40 PPR pulse is what is needed for proper tranny function. I don't recall which pin that is on, but using only the F13 pin will not control the tranny.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    You must use the VSS in the tranny through a DRAC, for tranny control. The 40 PPR pulse is what is needed for proper tranny function. I don't recall which pin that is on, but using only the F13 pin will not control the tranny.
    Damnit :(

Alas , I cannot use the factory speed sensor ...... Oh well :(

TOM

Why not? The 4L60E will have the VSS already installed.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm mating a 4wd 4L60E to a 205/203 doubler setup in my '84 S10 Blazer . The 205 only has a cable speedo provision.

I need the cable output on the 205 for my speedo , guess I could run an aftermarket VSS and wire in a DRAC/VSSB though .....

If I can be dumb , why did I only need the 2000 ppm input on my 92 TBI truck with a 5 speed , is there another input to the PCM that it needs to see to control an electronic trans ?

TOM

I think you missed what Six Shooter was telling you. 4L60E has a VSS in it, use it to DRAC/VSSB then to transmission. You should get your VSSB from same PCM/vehicle.

DRAC/VSSB does a few things, major issue is taking the AC or DC sine wave and buffering to square wave, some ECM/PCM do this, others do not. It also adjusts signal to speedometer, cruise control and Anti Lock brakes. I know the 1227747 can not make these adjustments for gear change and has to be done in DRAC, I think that is the same with 16197427 PCM type. Where as my LT1 I can adjust bin for these changes and know of no DRAC/VSSB in car so it must be part of newer PCM.

Technical I don't know why 4L80E wiring diagram shows VSS is wired into PCM with no DRAC/VSSB then wires to transmission. In $OE which is designed for 4L80E there is a bitmask to check/unchecked for "Output Speed Not from DRAC" There is no option in $OD designed for 4l60E.

Which brings up another point I had made about 16197427 being latest of that family of PCM being able to handle everything in one PCM. I have a 16197427 which is thought to or originally came with 4L60E and $OD but mine came with $OE and 4l80E bin.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    On a 4X4 4L60E there is no speed sensor provision , it is on the transfer case . On the t case setup I am using a 40 tooth ring and VSS is not an option.

In $0D on a manual transmission application , the factory optical (2000 ppm) cluster mount VSS can be inputed to the '7427 on pin F13 , works fine , I run it on 2 of my trucks as of now.

TOM

E tranny control requires an additional input, hensevtye need to use the 40 tooth tone ring and DRAC for tranny control.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    E tranny control requires an additional input, hensevtye need to use the 40 tooth tone ring and DRAC for tranny control.
    Thank you

TOM

Poof! Done! Jaqs that run 40 tooth bolt on VSS. Although for an off roader I'd put it up on transfer case end...

Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    why is the 40 tooth tone ring for 205 not an option? '90-91 one tons used them, I have one installed in mine. Wired to DRAC, feeds the electric speedo and ECM.

Granted, fairly rare pieces, but they are out there. Far simpler to use than the aftermarket options out there, although the bolt on Mark showed is pretty simple, still something to get a branch or rock thrown into.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dyeager535 View Post
    why is the 40 tooth tone ring for 205 not an option? '90-91 one tons used them, I have one installed in mine. Wired to DRAC, feeds the electric speedo and ECM.

Granted, fairly rare pieces, but they are out there. Far simpler to use than the aftermarket options out there, although the bolt on Mark showed is pretty simple, still something to get a branch or rock thrown into.
    I have a few of those also , and could use it if need be. At this point I still need the cable for the speedo in the dash , and I cannot swap to a later dash as the 83-84 were specific and not interchangable to the later years.....

Might just make it simple and go to aftermarket gauges ....

Thanks for the thought though .

TOM

A slight hi-jack if I may...

How do I calibrate my 7427/$0D/4l60e speedometer after a tire size change? I swapped in a 5spd and checked the manual trans box in the BIN, so is there a place to adjust the speedo in the BIN, or is it done by the DRAC even though it's not controlling an auto trans?