Thread: $5BV5.adx Issues - Need some help!

$5BV5.adx Issues - Need some help!

Need some serious help from the TunerproRT experts. I've gone about as far as I can go with this one. One poster even suggested I just replace the Engine, Trans, Exhaust, Wiring, PCM and programming to resolve the issue
    This is sort of a duplicate post from one i started a few days ago in the GM EFI forum, but think it is better suited here. Car is an '87 Fiero with '95 L67 3800SC Engine, 4t60e trans, 16183247 PCM, $5bV5.xdf, $5bV5.adx.
    Car has been running fine, no real issues. This problem came on after about 100 miles of road tests.

Here's the screwy part. When I start the car, rev's immediately jump to 2300 and stay there. There is no voltage on the "L" alternator wire. As soon as I "connect" TunerPro, Rev's drop to normal ( 900), and the voltage on the "L" wire goes to 12+v ( normal). I also get a MIL light, with Error code 325 ( ESC). Coolant temps consistently read about 40 degrees below actual. I checked the formula in Values, and it is correct per DS A221. Disconnect Tunerpro, and rev's stay low, but "L" wire goes back to 0 and the MIL light goes away. Very repeatable, over and over again. If I shut the car off and restart without TunerPro connected, revs go right back to 2300.

I found a good Thread on "modes" http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rstanding+MODE . This really helped me better understand the mode commands. I went into the ADX editor, and played around with some settings. I finally settled on 45 msec for a Silence time. These are the commands I am using for Connection and Monitoring. I found that these work the best ( stable COnnection), but I still have some data bouncing around, and some data value issues
    For Connection Command

I use Connection Macro
    ...Mode 8 Disable Comms Macro
    .....Mode 8 ( Disable Comms) Send
    .... Mode 8 ( Disable Comms) Reply
    ..Listen For Silence ( Repeat 3 times)
    ..Mode 1 Message 0 ( data ) Macro
    ....Mode 1 message 0 (Data) Send
    ....Mode 1 message 0 ( Data) reply
    ....Listen for silence (45 Msec) (Repeat 3 times)

For Monitor Command
    Mode 1 Message 0 ( data ) Macro
    ...Mode 1 message 0 (Data) Send
    ...Mode 1 message 0 ( Data) reply
    ...Listen for silence (45 Msec) (Repeat 3 times)

With these settings, I get a good, stable connection- although the data still bounces a little ( like Coolant Temp bouncing between 140-137F, about 1 time per sec). Coolant temp is also about 40 Degrees too cool.

Here's the screwy part. When I start the car, rev's immediately jump to 2300 and stay there. There is no voltage on the "L" alternator wire, so no charging. Voltage gauge shows about 12v. As soon as I "connect" TunerPro, Rev's drop to normal ( 900), and the voltage on the "L" wire goes to 12+v ( normal). I also get a MIL light, with Error code 325 ( ESC). Coolant temps consistently read about 40 degrees below actual. I checked the formula in Values, and it is correct per DS A221. Disconnect Tunerpro, and rev's stay low, but "L" wire goes back to 0 volts, no charging, and the MIL light goes away. Very repeatable, over and over again. If I shut the car off and restart without TunerPro connected, revs go right back to 2300.

More digging revealed that I might be able to send some codes with Tunerpro, even while not monitoring ( Mode 10, for example- code refresh). I thought maybe the connection codes might have something to do with my anomaly , so I sent Mode 8 Disable Comms Macro when the car was revving at 2300, Tunerpro not connected, and immediately revs dropped to normal. No MIL light, but no voltage on "L" wire either. Tried sending Mode 9 ( Enable Comms) macro, but no difference. Sending Code 8 Enable Macro was repeatable as far as getting the revs to normal. However, every time I stop the car and restart, I'm back to high revs.

I've tried replacing the PCM ( x3), Different Proms, Different Memcals, Traced all ground and power connections. No Vacuum leaks, IAC working fine ( just driven to high rpm's for some reason until Disable Comms mode is sent). There are no devices on the "data" net except the PCM. All other devices ( HVAC Programmer, ABS computer, BCM, etc, have been removed.

Does any of this "trigger" a thought with you guys? Is my setup for Connection and Monitoring OK? Why would the Diasble Comms Macro lower the RPM's?

'85 SS El Camino, Gm Crate 350 L31, Vortec heads,TPI.
    https://sites.google.com/site/darbyselky/home

I know this is a tough one, but I could really use some help here. Just need to know if the ADX commands I am using are correct enough to keep going, or if there is another thread that can give me more info on ADX files.

Thanks

Administrator
    Wish I could help, but I don't do much with TP. Steveo's EE tool thread may have some clues, but it's looooong.

Just closing this thread out ( I hate "dangling" threads). Could not discover the problem, but got lucky and was able to return the engine for refund. Now starting an install of a newer 3800SC series II that is OBDII. Hopefully, better results.