Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member swapping 4.3 for 5.7 tbi

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The wiring schematics I have access to show the V8 uses One Knock Sensor, and the V6 uses Two Knock Sensors. When you install the V8 Memcal / Chip, you might need to unplug one of the knock sensors.

dave w
    Will it be ok to just tape up the plug or will I need to put in a resistor?

The truck seems to be running better since getting rid of the code 43. I should have the chip installed this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by gar925 View Post
    Will it be ok to just tape up the plug or will I need to put in a resistor?
    Good question, lets see what happens with the new chip. Maybe the new chip will be OK with two knock sensors? I would think with two knock sensors, the new chip will set a code 43? I would think if you get a code 43 with the new chip, unplugging one of the two knock sensors would clear the 43? My thinking is the more "Original Factory Parts / Original Factory Wiring" you have, it's less likely there will be an error code or other issues.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 06-17-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Good question, lets see what happens with the new chip. Maybe the new chip will be OK with two knock sensors? I would think with two knock sensors, the new chip will set a code 43? I would think if you get a code 43 with the new chip, unplugging one of the two knock sensors would clear the 43? My thinking is the more "Original Factory Parts / Original Factory Wiring" you have, it's less likely there will be an error code or other issues.

dave w
    I installed the new chip as soon as I got home from work today. The truck starts strong, but searches for idle speed and stalls within a minute. No codes.

Allow me to add the sources for the information I posted, see link and attached pics. Seemingly all good sources, Moates website, Moates BCC Lookup Excel Spreadsheet, and TunerCats CAL Data.

Moates website copy / paste: "These ECMs are largely interchangeable – as a rule of thumb, any of the 4 hardware boxes ( 16197427, 16196395, 16156930, 16168625 ) can run any of the 4 main masks ( $0D, $0E, $31 or $E6 ) BUT you will have issues using a V6 memcal for a V8 application or vise versa. Your memcal MUST be from a vehicle that has the same number of cylinders as the engine you are trying to run."

dave w

http://support.moates.net/92-95-4l60e-4l80e-tbi-trucks/

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if the wiring harness would be different from the '94 4.3 to the '95 5.7?

Fuel Injected!
    My understanding was that on the 4.3L with dual knock sensors, the sensors were 8k ohms each while the single sensors on the 5.7L were 4k ohms. The dual sensors were just wired in parallel. So in theory, the 2 x 8k sensors or 1 x 4k sensor should interchange without throwing a code for being the wrong resistance.

The manual transmission knock sensor was likely 100k ohms which would explain why it didn't work. You likely could have added a resistor to it to make it work.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    My understanding was that on the 4.3L with dual knock sensors, the sensors were 8k ohms each while the single sensors on the 5.7L were 4k ohms. The dual sensors were just wired in parallel. So in theory, the 2 x 8k sensors or 1 x 4k sensor should interchange without throwing a code for being the wrong resistance.

The manual transmission knock sensor was likely 100k ohms which would explain why it didn't work. You likely could have added a resistor to it to make it work.
    Hopefully, the knock sensors will work out with the BPSA memcal I ordered.

Fuel Injected!
    It should, the resistance required would only change with a different PCM.

Electronic Ignition!
    When I installed the BPSA memcal from a '95 5.7 tbi van, the truck started fine but surged. I reset the IAC with no changes. I didn't get a light. Not sure if it's the chip, wiring harness, or if it just needs to relearn. The truck seams to run fine other than low idle with the original memcal (BJFD).

I think we'll have this figured out and completed soon.

Fuel Injected!
    Any progress? I have an 89 S10 I did basically the same swap and am watching this thread closely.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89S10_Project View Post
    Any progress? I have an 89 S10 I did basically the same swap and am watching this thread closely.
    It turns out the BPSA memcal was programmed for an auto tranny and 5.7 injectors. I sent the chip off to have it checked out and reprogrammed since I have a 5-spd and was using the 4.3 injectors. The chip was cleared and programmed for 61 lb/hr injectors and everything fixed for the 5-spd.

I received the memcal back this week, but haven't had a chance to try it out or install the correct injectors. I was unexpectedly sent out of town on a business trip this week and with the holiday, I probably won't get a chance to work on it until next week. I should have the correct injectors this weekend. I'll keep you all posted.

Fuel Injected!
    I am not an EFI engineer, buuut:

The engineer in me says that the 4.3 injectors, while they may be made to work with a longer "ON" time, are going to be overworked and thus have their functional life shortened. Seems like it would be much smarter to go with the proper 5.7 injectors, especially given that they exist, are the same form factor, and will bolt right in place of the 4.3 units. (In fact, this is exactly what I did on my build, and why).

This may not be borne out by folks with much more experience in this area than myself, in which case I'll just file it away for future reference.

Pardon if this has already been covered - my head is awash with GMEFI stuff and it's all running together- is your truck's configuration somehow rare? If not, what's wrong with picking up a factory ECM for your engine/transmission off of Ebay, car-parts.com or a local salvage yard? I've never paid more than $50 for an ECM, and that was shipped to my door. Just seems like a really easy, cheap and simple solution, especially if you're resorting to having folks burn PROMs.

Electronic Ignition!
    I am not an EFI engineer, buuut:
    The engineer in me says that the 4.3 injectors, while they may be made to work with a longer "ON" time, are going to be overworked and thus have their functional life shortened. Seems like it would be much smarter to go with the proper 5.7 injectors, especially given that they exist, are the same form factor, and will bolt right in place of the 4.3 units. (In fact, this is exactly what I did on my build, and why).
    The 61 lb/hr injectors that I'm getting are for a 5.7.

Pardon if this has already been covered - my head is awash with GMEFI stuff and it's all running together- is your truck's configuration somehow rare? If not, what's wrong with picking up a factory ECM for your engine/transmission off of Ebay, car-parts.com or a local salvage yard?
    My K1500 5-spd came with a 4.3 and I swapped in a 5.7 reusing my original wiring harness, ECM, , TBI, and everything on the front of the engine. I thought all I needed was a memcal for my 16197427 ECM to finish it up and fix the low idle and low rev-limit issue I was having. Apparently, there was not a 5-spd 5.7 k1500 made with my ECM. Changing to the stock ECM for my truck and engine would likely not work with my harness and sensors.

The BPSA memcal from a 5.7 van was available for cheap on ebay and was compatible with my ECM. When I tried it, the truck surged at idle. Everyone (before I joined this forum) told me that the 4.3 injectors would work fine. This was probably the cause for my surging issue. Because I bought it used from ebay, I thought it would be a good idea for someone who knows what they're doing to make sure the memcal was in working order and to make sure it would work in my application.

That's when I found out that the BPSA would not work with my 4.3 injectors and that the tranny needed to be changed from auto to manual in the program. I'm not an EFI engineer either and just getting started learning the terminology on here. Maybe soon I can figure out how to make my own changes.

Fuel Injected!
    Gotcha, and now I recall all of this. Sorry for making you repeat yourself.

Yeah, I'm right there with you, and totally agree on your approach. I hope it works out soon!

Fuel Injected!
    i also been looking at this to BPSA and getting conflicting answer about the what Tranny it is a Manual or 4l60E ???
    when I use Scotts BCC look up PDF I get 1995 34734 6930 G2 LO5 5.7 Man GU6 3.42 gears
    and need a manual >bin for my 4speed M-20 5.7 350 with 3.73 gears .and though this bin BPSA be a good start.Thanks