Thread: MSD 6L installation help

MSD 6L installation help

What I’m looking to do is install a MSD 6L ignition box. I know there has to be posts on this but the search doesn’t find anything. Strange

What I’m looking for is the info that tells me if I bypass the ignition module and how or do I just put the MSD between the distributor and the ignition module.

More info that may or not be needed, Jeep V8, MDS distributor, 8 pin ignition module, 16197427 ECM

Thanks in advance
    Steve

The MSD installation instructions have everything you need to know about how to install it in your vehicle.

IIRC there's a section specifically for GM/HEI computer controlled type ignitions.

If you bought it used you can find the instructions on the MSD website.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Yes I got it used.

Thanks

Here the issue I’m having, during cranking the injectors are not firing. If I disconnect the magnetic pickup connector to the MDS box and the injector fire during engine cranking. I can then reconnect the MSD box and the engine will start since the engine has been primed and the injector start firing once the engine starts.

My system is cross between a Ford DuraSpark and the TBI system I have from CustomEFIS.

It seems to me that I should have the “power during cranking” connected to B2 on my 7427 ECM. I can’t figure out what B2 is connected to since most of the wires are red or black after leaving the ECU.

I attached the why I wired the MSD into my system.

Why are you connecting any magnetic trigger to the MSD box?

The diagram you attached bypass any timing control the ECM would have.

Connect it like a points system, where the original coil negative (trigger) triggers the MSD box then the MSD box triggers the coil.

If by "power during cranking" you are referring to the small red wire from the MSD box, that attaches to an ignition source. Often you can use the ignition wire that was connected to the coil for this.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 06-15-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Why are you connecting any magnetic trigger to the MSD box?

The diagram you attached bypass any timing control the ECM would have.

Connect it like a points system, where the original coil negative (trigger) triggers the MSD box then the MSD box triggers the coil.

If by "power during cranking" you are referring to the small red wire from the MSD box, that attaches to an ignition source. Often you can use the ignition wire that was connected to the coil for this.
    I have an MSD distributor and that just what MSD calls it. I thought I was connecting it just as the MSD installation guide shows I think...