Hi boys,

I have been thinking and researching my new motor, been bouncing between an ls 6.0 with a turbo or a 400 with a turbo and a tbi top. I pulled parts for an ls motor build and I have gone well over 7 grand just building the bottom half. That's it I think it's time for a decision to roll out with the 400. My question is really technical more then anything else but it's still bouncing between my ears continuously during the day. I have searched for an answer or at least something close to it to satify the bagering that is happening inside my head. So here it is, can a turbo be turned on and off as wanted? If I am running a motor and don't need the boost, just leave it off, but if I'm pulling a heavy load of wood and I'm getting on the highway or driving in stop and go traffic can I turn it on? I'm sure that I can do the tubing, it will be a pita, but doable, what about the programming side of it? Can a tbi unit handle the load? I'm reasonably sure that a stock unit from a 350 would limit the system, but a 454 would be an overkill, or at least be counterproductive of having the turbo switchable. I am thinking of having the turbo off for driving to work and doing errands, but if I have a load to pull, or what to play in traffic, just turn it on. Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole turbo thing and just need to run it all of the time. I really want to have this as my daily driver, and want to be able to pull a reliable 20 mpg all the time, or at least when I'm not playing. So is this just a wild notion or what?