Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any an all advice is appreciated!

Fuel Injected!

Question Any an all advice is appreciated!

So, I bought myself a vehicle with a GM 350 TBI conversion and what I was told is a 460le transmission. Looks like it came off a donor vehicle (not an aftermarket TBI).

The previous owner screwed with it by removing some of the "excess" wiring harness from the vehicle it was transplanted into until it lost spark and fuel. There may also have been some improperly secured wires on the TBI harness that grounded out (he said there were some sparks from the box it the ECM and fuse blocks were put into) while he was "improvimenting" it.

I am new to working on TBI (have a very similar setup in my K1500, but never had to work on it!).

I tried to used the BCC pin find utility here http://gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/ but it appears to be busted. The blue cover on the ECM says AMTT, I was hoping I could identify which ECM it is so I could identify pinouts and get it wired up properly.

I hotwired the coil (jumper wire) to power it and it fired on starting fluid, so it appears I have spark (I will verify this). Have not had time to attempt to hotwire the fuel relay and check for fuel yet.

I realize I may have to go to a junkyard and grab a whole 'nother ECM and harness to make this run again, but it would be nice to see if I can rescue it, as it was running previous to the "improvimentations".

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Fuel Injected!
    Just a little bit of help. Since it controls the transmission as well, a 4L60e, it should be a PCM from 94-95 the wiring for this is close amongst the different PCMs that year with a few differences. 16197427 is the most popular and should get you going if you search for a wiring diagram for it.

Recheck the BCC.

That BCC comes back as a 1227747 ECM, which does not control the transmission shifting. It will however control the TCC, as long as a correct VSS is connected.

Posting pictures of the ECM, with the MEMCAL/PROM cover removed will help identify it as well.

Is it possible that it's a 4L60, which is just a later non electronic version of the 700R4? Maybe the seller was trying to make it sound like something more or newer than it really is.

A 4L60E will have a rather large electrical connector on the passenger side of the case with the connector point up. A 700R4/4L60 will have a small 4 pin connector on the driver side about mid way along the length of the case also pointing up.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks, but I don't think that's my ECM. The plugs don't look like the one here:

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/...FVhahgodftsFrg

Mine are two different sizes, I'm guessing 24 and 32.

Can verify this tomorrow.

Appreciate the help!

A '7747 has two different sized plugs, 24 and 32 pin. So it sounds like you either have a '7747, which is most likely from the BCC you posted earlier or a 16147060, that also has 24 and 32 pin connectors but the connectors are brown. This trans was also paired with a 4L80E trans, not the 4L60E.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Wow, you guys are great. Seriously!

I'll pop the cover of that chip and take photos tomorrow, and also see if I can identify the transmission. In the meantime, this is the only thing with the system that had a legible label left (the one on the ECM was worn off)

Attachment 10546
    Also, I'm a noob to TBI - I assume VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor, but what does BCC stand for?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by dnarby; 05-29-2016 at 05:39 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Also, 16127487 was stamped on the inside of the ECM cover.

Quote Originally Posted by dnarby View Post
    Wow, you guys are great. Seriously!

I'll pop the cover of that chip and take photos tomorrow, and also see if I can identify the transmission. In the meantime, this is the only thing with the system that had a legible label left (the one on the ECM was worn off)

Attachment 10546
    Also, I'm a noob to TBI - I assume VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor, but what does BCC stand for?

Thanks!!!
    Yes VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor.

That oart you have pictured is called a DRAC (Digital Ratio Adapter Controller I believe the acronym stands for. It's what takes the VSS signal that is a magnetic 2 wire deal (AKA VR - Variable Reluctor, not Virtual Reality LOL), and converts it to a single wire pulsed output. The fact that this is there is a good sign that there likely is a functional VSS in the vehicle.

Yes get those pictures and we can guide you better.

Fuel Injected!

OK, here's some more info. I was told the donor motor came from a Silverado. Here's pix of some partz:

ECM plugs
    Attachment 10549

ECM Chip with cover off
    Attachment 10550

Modules and/or Flux Capacitors on the left side of TBI
    Attachment 10551

Distributor and coil
    Attachment 10552

Driver's side transmission pan. Yellow/Gray wire pair goes back to the DRAC.
    Attachment 10553

I didn't have time to jack it up a bit to get a better look at the transmission, can do this later to identify.

Many advance thanks!

That's a 16147060 PCM.

You transposed the BCC (BroadCast Code) incorrectly, AWTT makes more sense as it is for the '7060, which does control an electronic trans, my notes are saying it was originally used with a 4L80E, but the picture of your trans pan does really look like a 4L80E. I also have not come across an application that used a '7060 with any trans other than a 4L80E. It might be possible for that combo to work, but IIRC there are some differences in how an 4L60E and 4l80E are controlled. The bin is also for a 5.7L. Getting better pictures of the trans and the connections to it will help identify what you have more easily.

IIRC the "flux capacitor" is the EGR control solenoid. There should be a tube going from it to that valve located behind it in the picture.

Fuel Injected!
    Whoops, I must have tried to read that BCC code upside down from the picture, thanks for catching that.

It's really tight under there, so trying to get a good look is challenging.

BUT, the 4L80(e) seems to have 17 pan bolts... And the 4L60(e) has 16... So I'll get a chance to jack it up Wednesday, count the bolts and hopefully get some better pictures.

What other connections would you like me to get pictures of?

Many thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    Some more observations and pics. First, the pan has 17 bolts.

Pan pic:
    Attachment 10557

Passenger side label pic:
    Attachment 10558

Driver side connector pic, purple/black twisted wire spliced into a yellow/gray pair and goes back to ECM
    Attachment 10559

Pic of serial # on driver side near rear of transmission:
    Attachment 10560

No electrical connections observed on passenger side, only driver side, and only that one plug.

Will be back this afternoon. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dnarby; 06-01-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Derp

Fuel Injected!
    Everything matches the transmission here (ID tag is in the same place, same for electrical connectors, 17 pan bolts) http://www.moveras.com/TechnicalSupp...pecs4L80E.aspx

So it looks like I lucked out and got the better transmission!

It looks like it could be a 4L80E from that pan picture. There needs to be a rather large electrical connector on the driver side, as shown in the pictures in the link you posted. That's what controls actual shifting.

The connector you have a picture of looks like one of the shaft speed sensors.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 06-02-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Based on the number of pan bolts, the position of the connector, and the location of the ID tag, I'm pretty sure it's a 4L80E. Circle on the bottom of the pan matches similar pans found in a web image search (some aren't flat, others are and they have that circle indent near the back).