I own a '93 f-150 4.9L. It's coming up to 230K and really needs a complete rebuild. No time and No money for it right now. But,Now what I've done is went a bought the Grandson a '97 f150 V-6 4.2L that needs a engine, I mean this thing had a broken crankshaft, yes, in two pieces (have not seen that before). I got a chance to buy a used wrecking yard engine that was suppose to only have 35000 miles on it for $350 and there are extenuating circumstances with it. If I bought it I would really like to put it on a test stand and run it before installing. After much online research the consensus is "NO" don't try to run a EFI engiine outside the body as it will cause you to have to go join a Twelve Step Program somewhere. Now, I did find Ford v-6 industrial EFI engines advertised and also marine EFI engines. Where I'm goin' with this is that there must be Engine Control Modules "out there" that don't have to have all the sensors just to start and run like for a test. Has anyone ever been able to "Jury Rig" a test stand to breakin or test run a engine. bjr