Thread: grrrrrrr

grrrrrrr

I thought I would post this just because this is what it seems like I deal with on a daily basis.....late model neon came into the shop the other day from a local body shop ,I got it in this morning and have spent all day until now on it. In this series of events I found out that 1 it is a rebuilt salvage car 2hackkkkkkkkkk job and 3 you just cant repair stupid...
    the whole wiring harness under the core support look like it was attacked by a alligator.This car came in not shifting and no speedo so lucky me got the job.So I spent 6 hours fixing the harness tying it up and checking everything to realize I still had 1 wire at the tcm that had no power that should have.Hmmm so I traced it back to the ign switch pulled off the column covers and hello mr past time has been here before and more hacking lol......just wanted to rant this somewhere ,why cant some people leave well enough alone sometimes.. I just thought it was funny because this was just supposed to be a speed sensor when it came in,I wonder if that shop is gonna have a stroke when they get this 600 dollar bill lol
    Wise man once said,better to stay silent and let others assume your and idiot than to open your mouth and prove it........and yes im an idiot lol

I feel your pain! Some people think they can repair quicker then proper?

I've gained a reputation in town I wish I didn't have of being able to fix anything... fixed a few salvage cars that were 2 cars put together, they had all the parts but spliced instead, dealers even call me on old OBDI stuff they forgot how to fix. Hourly rate applies. I do stick to GM though... I'm amazed at todays ASE certified mechanics can't use there knowledge and skills to fix stuff simpler older stuff?

I have given up on carburated cars though. Can't get a good rebuilt anymore, can't rebuild them as housing is worn out like accelerator pump chamber, so how is a new pump going to help if it is round and chamber is oval... last one I did went through 3, took all week to get and return them and order others, then finally found a new one that worked great, most can't even find a new carb anymore and when you do it's worth more then car?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

yeah I was a master tech by age 19 and have also gained a rep around here and mostly good but those who wouldnt pay run around and run there mouths a little but I also have dealers call me for alot of electrical stuff as well as multiple other shops,I wished I could just do elec all day everyday .....just thought I would share this crap I had today thought some of you would like that.As for me and carbs lol nonononononononononononooooooooooooooooooooooo lmao
    Wise man once said,better to stay silent and let others assume your and idiot than to open your mouth and prove it........and yes im an idiot lol

HAHAHAHA. Come to work with me sometime if you think people jerry rig cars, or do poor maintience on them.
    I am a lawn mower service tech for the local john deere dealer. The mowers that people bring in are sometimes unbelieveable.
    Oh the stories I could tell.....
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

it always blows my mind how people will pay someone 10 grand to do something for them to trash it and then the people want me to fix it for free .............really pisses me off sometimes

Its crazy the things people do with these mowers. They bring them in looking like they have been through WWII 3 times and expect you to fix it and get it running like new for just a few bucks.
    They think you can run them forever without changing the oil, and then wonder why the engine is knocking, or burning oil.
    I just quoted a guy a new engine the other day, his old one was burning oil and had low compression, oil was so dark and black it was crazy. I dont think it had ever been changed. I estimated around $1300 for a new engine. Now this mower is probably almost 10 years old. He asks me if I think warrenty would do anything for him since he only has about "50" hours on it.
    You will have mowers barely 6 months old come in looking like hell and beat to peices, and then mowers 15 years old looking like you could just about put them back on the showroom. Its real easy to see who does and who doesnt take care of their equipment.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

dam cheap lawn mowers... I bought mine new from sears 19 years ago, changed oil, sharpened blade and new air filter every year till I couldn't get air filter anymore then just started cleaning it about 6 years ago. Motor was going south and puking oil this summer but made the last cut before loud motor noises and stopped running...

-= =-

If anyone ever wants advice on JD mowers, let me know. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Dont buy one from lowes or home depot. Go to a dealer and get a X series.
    Good series (in order of age)
    LX
    GT
    X
    Cheap ones:
    L
    LT
    LA
    D

i work on industrial equipment. i can tell you for doing it 25 years now. i have seen my share of chop jobs. and have been asked to try to repair a lot of it. its amazing what people think can be done with stuff.

yeah I get tired of it I had another funny one today,a 90 chevy c 1500 people have been hunting an intermittant converter lock up issue....they have replace temp switch ,lock up sol,pressure switch, ecm, and choped up wires in the trans pan lol so I replaced wire harness in trans since it was butchered and went on to sort out the problem took about 45 mins and I also serviced the trans while we had it and the bill was 150 dollars and they acted like we was raping them.....I think Im gonna get a new customer base,people get a little money at tax season and think they are high rollers all the sudden and can do as they please lol

Dam it's $150 here for trans service with no repair? Maybe start charging double, then give them a 40% discount cause they had such a mess and you feel sorry for them... so now your up 10% and they feel good?

-= =-

that was just it hell they got a huge break cuz i felt sorry for them then they act like that what the crap but they thought it should be cheap because i found it quickly and they seen it and thats where I messed up,it had a wire rubbed through against the trans case 5 inches above the connector on a 700r4 and by the way for all who read this and have a 700r4 this is common problem if your harness gets routed over the main harness and not under