Thread: oil pump

Fuel Injected!

oil pump

hy, getting ready to put my engine togather and was wondering if anyone has had problem using a high volume oil pump. my thought was it might pump the hydrolic lifters too much.

Fuel Injected!
    You should not need it if the clearances are all correct. If you do decide to use one, install the normal spring and not the high pressure spring. Overall, it'll just be pumping more oil and bypassing it back to the inlet which uses more power and puts more wear on the distributor gears.

Fuel Injected!
    thanks I never thought about it just buy passing the extra oil, guss iam getting old.

Fuel Injected!
    I am going to put a mercuiser cam in this engine new adventure.

Fuel Injected!
    High volume doesnt always allow the oil to do its job properly, as lionelhutz mentioned, it places more load on the dist gear as does a high pressure pump, fyi. I prefer high pressure to high volume myself.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    this is an old thread got a little update. I moved back to Indiana last month, had about 1500 lbs on my truck that mercruiser cam worked pretty good on the way up here first tank of gas 23mpg at 70-75 mph, then it started getting a quifer going up hills or down hills still got 20mpg average. the cam don't like these hills where I live now and my tune really changed from what it was in texas. had a valve spring that got weak fixed it 2weeks ago sure left a lot of stuff in texas including the cam the member give me. the man I worked for is suppose to send it to me. old truck gets 19-20 here empty but it needs a stock cam for the way I drive lots of hills and I don't like running a lot of rpm's if I don't have to. drove straight from Madisonville tx to Bedford Indiana only stops was for gas and toilet use and checking truck out. construction all the way it seamed. seams funny driving 55-60 instead of 70-75. I wish I had fixed the balance shaft engine that I took out, it was a vortec but the heads wasn't heart shaped but they wasn't swirrell port.