Thread: ALDL bad/no signal

Electronic Ignition! trickster555's Avatar

ALDL bad/no signal

Ok I have been trying to get my aldl cable to work with tunerpro and winALDL for some time but it worked intermitently and I was getting frustrated to say the least! I have found the cause and I hope that it will make others aware of this and save them time and frustration. I use an old laptop that has a used battery so I plugged it in a 400w inverter to get it running. it so happens that if the power drawn from the inverter was draining power from the ecm and it was screwing up the signal! I own a 1989 ke tbi blazer so the lighter plug must be a bit corroded and is creating resistance therefore drawing to much power away. I noticed it while driving my factory voltmeter was going down a bit and the digital gauge on the inverter was showing between 11.8-12.1v so I figured I would try an independant source from the dash power and voilą! perfect signal! hope this helps.

Mat

Fuel Injected!
    I've read that those particular communications issues were likely due to either using an inverter to power a laptop while having it connected, but more often that the serial data needs to be "boosted", which involves building an AlDl connector interface that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

I am currently using one of those for my interface and everyone I've built works like a charm.

That said, if your inverter is drawing more current than your charging system can handle, you probably have an electrical issue that needs to be resolved.