Thread: Introduction

Fuel Injected!

Introduction

Although I have been a mostly inactive member for a few years here. I don't think I ever posted an introduction.

I was referred to GearHead-EFI by a friend aware of my hatred of carburetors and desire to retain FI with a 355 swapped S10. When I came here I had a very limited understanding of the complexity of FI. I swapped a heavily modified SBC into an '89 S10 4x4 Blazer and fought with it every step of the way. Fought with the 7747 ECM and a wild cam for a long time before switching to a stock LT1 cam only to have similar problems. Rich at idle, lean above 2K rpms. went through this for over a year before the new (at time of swap) 3902 fuel pump died (I now know that the 3902 is not near enough for even a lightly modified engine). I replaced with a 255lph pump. The engine came to life, and literally broke everything holding the drive train together. Ball joints, half shafts, A-arms, U-joints, engine mounts were ripped off the frame, trans mount ripped through the cross member, shattered differential housing and mounts, it was unreal. After my last drive, I shattered a CV shaft, broke 3 ball joints, broke every mount point on the front differential, and destroyed a new set of poly engine mounts, I decided to park it until I found a new home for this engine.

I acquired a '94 C1500 SC SB 5spd 4.3L in trade with a dead NV3500 trans, but the 4.3L was good. I had planned to just pull the engine to put into the blazer, but as I pulled the 4.3L I was amazed at how clean the C1500 was. I replaced the NV3500 and installed a spare 5.7L TBI flat tappet engine. Thought it would be as easy as finding a stock prom to run it. Found out that GM never paired a manual trans 5.7L with the 7427 ECM that was in the truck, so I dove back into it. With much trial and error, I managed to get a smooth running result. I put nearly 20K on this tired old engine before deciding it was time to replace it with the S10 engine. I have to hand it to the SBC, the no 1 exhaust lobe wiped out after approx. 3K. Replaced the dished lifter and kept running it. On long distance trips it would overheat when stopping for fuel. The coolant was being pushed out to the overflow bottle, never consumed. Turns out the head gasket gave way on no 1, probably from the dead cam lobe, and pressurizing the coolant system. I learned how to manage the problem and drove it that way for over a year while I sourced out the required parts and tools to swap engines again, and here we are.

I really enjoy this truck, though I call it an El Camino since they are about the same to me. I read as much as I can find before posting a question, and I usually feel pretty dumb doing so. I could not find the "VE" tables in the $0D xdf I had. I came across it accidentally after posting, didn't feel too bright with that one. I have really appreciated all the help I have received here and cannot thank enough. With time I hope to be able to offer more to the community. I don't feel I have the knowledge to be of much help yet.

Thanks for taking the time to share an Intro with us.

dave w