Thread: BPW / BPC calculation

BPW / BPC calculation

Could I ask someone to review how I came up with my BPW? I have a 5.7L, stock injectors, fuel pressure set at 21 psi (I'm really not sure exactly what my original pressure before I started screwing with things, I assume it was 11-13 psi (factory) so I used 13 psi for my formula). If it matters my ecm is a 7427.

Flow rate = sqrt((current fuel pres/orig fuel pres)x orig inj flow rate)
    = sqrt((21/13) x 61.2)
    = 77.5

1 pound per hour = 0.125997881 grams per second
    77.5 = 9.764836

BPW / BPC = VAL x (cyl vol / inj. flow rate @ gm per sec.)
    =1461.5 x (.7125 / 9.764836)
    =106.6

Next, I need to find where in my bin to change this.
    Thanks.

The '7427 has an Injector Flow Rate (TBI lb/hr) Parameter, which is located in the Scalars - Engine Parameters.

Of the 100's of '7427 .bin files I've modified I've learned:
    Setting the '7427 Injector Flow is a-kin to Apples, Oranges, & Bananas
    What injector is rated to flow - Apples
    What injector is actually flowing - Oranges
    What the actual flow parameter is set for in the '7427 - WILL DRIVE YOU BANANAS!!

Put the calculator back into to draw. Make your best guess, and tune. My experience based / best guess for the stock 61 lb injectors with 21 PSI pressure would be 68 Lb / Hr.

I strongly recommend using a Wide Band O2 (WBO2) sensor to tune the '7427. Check out some of the '7427 WBO2 tuning info here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...29-Spreadsheet

dave w

Setting the '7427 Injector Flow is a-kin to Apples, Oranges, & Bananas
    What injector is rated to flow - Apples
    What injector is actually flowing - Oranges
    What the actual flow parameter is set for in the '7427 - WILL DRIVE YOU BANANAS!!
    dave w[/QUOTE]
    Second time I've seen you quote that...laughed both times.

I found the Engine Constants and made changes...thx. I also read through the link for WB02 tuning and in the instructions saw a way to shut off the EGR. I've removed the EGR and thought I had it tuned out but got an SES last night with a code 32, so i'll try this.

I did intend to buy a WB02 sensor. So, what is a good one for the budget minded tuner? I was looking at an Innovate LC-2. Found one on ebay for $158. Do you pull out the existing O2 and use that bung or do I need to have a 2nd bung welded on?

A second O2 bung is needed for the WBO2 sensor. I like the AEM 30-4110 WBO2, it's Plug-n-Play ready right out of the box for the '7427 The Innovate LC-2 needs reprogramming for the '7427.

dave w

I bought my WB02 (AEM 30-4110). Going to weld in the 2nd bung tomorrow. I assume I would want to stay within a couple of inches of the existing bung but does it make a difference if I weld this in upstream or downstream from the existing bung location?

You mentioned this AEM unit was "plug and play" with the 7427. To use this for WB02 data logging with my ADU1 and Tuner Pro RT, do I need to set up the the ADU1 channel(s) I intend to use in the ADX file first? I've only found one thread on this and it is over 4 years old...not sure it applies to version5 of TP.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dispoejoe95; 05-04-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: clarification

I do not own an AUP1. I modify the .bin file accept the WBO2 directly into the '7427. Please see attached instructions pic.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dispoejoe95 View Post
    I assume I would want to stay within a couple of inches of the existing bung but does it make a difference if I weld this in upstream or downstream from the existing bung location?
    In theory, the narrowband O2 sensor slightly modifies the O2 content in the exhaust stream. So, upstream of the narrowband would eliminate that sensor having any effect on the wideband.

Thanks guys.

So, I think I may have done something wrong and damaged my ECM. Since the day I tried to connect the WB02 into the ECM via the B16 pin...my truck barely runs. To connect to the B16 pin, I inserted a connector & wire into the red ecm plug (to line up with) the bottom and furthest left pin on the ecm...this should be B16. I then hooked the WB02 to 12v and ground and then connected the output lead (0-5 V output from the 02 sensor) to the B16 pin. The gauge works fine but it never did register any readings in my datalog. I screwed around with it some but eventually disconnected the O2 output from the ECM. But since then it barely idles, hard starts, misses and backfires through the intake. I've been chasing this all weekend trying to figure out what the problem is but no luck. I'm guessing at this point ECM, maybe in the distributor or it jumped time somehow.

I'm sorry to babble on, I'm just so frustrated and pissed off at myself....do you guys think I smoked the ECM? The truck is doing one other thing and I'm not sure when it started this but I just noticed this weekend. The speedometer needle will climb to 25-30 mph when the key is turned on and slowly drop down to zero. Sometime it hangs at 15-20 mph. Maybe it's unrelated, I just don't recall seeing it before. Any help is appreciated...thanks.

Well, i thought about it and decided to order an ignition control module ...the symptoms match so we'll see. I'm still concerned it could be the ECM but I feel a little better knowing I can get one from Pull-a-part for around $40.

I'm still curious if my attempt to hook up my WBO2 was correct, maybe I'll start a new post with that question later when I get back to that point.