Thread: Hello from another budget hot rodder!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello from another budget hot rodder!

Hey guys!

I heard about this forum while I was researching some turbocharging articles over on thirdgen.org. It seems one of the guys there with an old Datsun 280ZX has been here before, is maybe active over here. The guy has a lot of knowledge, so I figured I would investigate this place and see what I can learn.

Basically, I only mess with GM stuff as far as fuel injection goes, mostly 80's and 90's stuff. I have not done much in the way of modifying my own, so I want to be able to do it well before I step up to newer OBD2 stuff like EFI Live and all that. I figure knowing the beginnings and the workings of it will make you better at the easy new stuff.

My latest project is an 88 Firebird that came factory equipped with a 2.8 chevy V6. I am going to replace it soon with a Buick V6, no sure what size or year yet. I have started gathering up parts to get it done, and I am starting to gather up the turbo parts too. I want to first swap the engine in and get it running and tuned on the stock ECM (if that's possible) and then step up to turbocharging it next. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Nice to meet you guys!

--Kris

Administrator
    Welcome.

Neat project. It should be relatively straightforward in terms of picking the right components and putting them together so they work well. A turbocharged 4.1 Camaro would be a pretty fun car to play with and it would get you away from the cookie cutter V8 swaps.

Have fun!

I probably won't use a 4.1 in this car, but if I come across one I'll stash it for later. :)

The only V8 swaps that happen in my stuff are Buick, Olds, or Pontiac engines. I sell the Chevy stuff to the guys who really like it.

What I am gathering up so far, I'm going to use a front wheel drive block so that I can bolt to my OEM bellhousing. I have a T5 stuffed full of Brute Force gears and shafts that is supposed to be pretty healthy. I am staying standard shift. I'll run a later 3800 crankshaft with the 8 bolt flywheel pattern so that I can use a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird 3800 flywheel setup. I'm not sure yet what top end I'll be using, but it will be for port fuel injection. I have some OEM Grand National headers that I will change the flanges on to bolt to my front wheel drive heads for the turbo install. I have some rear drive Buick regal motor mounts and frame brackets to get it bolted into the frame (after drilling the crossmember to accept the Buick brackets.)

My main concern at this time will be tuning the 2.8 ECM to properly run my Buick V6 which at the low end would be 3.3 or 3.8 liters. I have heard things about the MAF not supporting above a certain air flow on the factory 2.8 cars and I need to figure out how to get around that. Tuning and replacing the MAF with a better one should get that done.

There's a thread going here now of a guy doing the Turbo conversion. he is using the code $59 which Six Shooter uses too, he's the guy with the 280Z.

This is just introductions so hello and welcome. But better off starting a thread for your project with info and questions in GM EFI systems forum.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Got it. Thanks!