Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS computer ('0411) running a Small Block Chevy

LS computer ('0411) running a Small Block Chevy

My progress on this project has been slow. The budget has been tight for this project, and I've cut many corner$! I got the engine running for the first time today. I don't have a radiator on the engine, so I've only run the engine few times for 30 seconds or so. The engine is a rebuildable core that has a rod knock, so I'm not sure it will hold 5000 RPM's for the crank position learn?

Here are some pics of the project so far.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Neat.

I wouldn't try a 5k run without coolant and the test may require coolant temp at normal operating temp anyway. A thermostat in the manifold and garden hose directed to the water pump inlet will provide cooling without keeping engine too cool. I wonder if the actual sensor position could be measured and the values manually written to the vcm?? And don't forget there's a distributor offset value which needs to be set after the crank learn. That one only requires TPS to indicate WOT for an update.

I can set up a radiator. Here is a pic of my engine test stand with a BBC.

dave w

Cool test bench!

I know the LS ECM/PCM/VCM? is far superior but does it really do anything for an old engine? Just the software and license per vehicle keeps me out of that market.

I've been saving my pennies to buy a RoadRunner from Moates just so I had rights to buy TunerCat OBDII software, it was sold to Jet and is marketed under name Dynamic Sprectrum Tuning and I had one, but after a wasted day of tech support I used 2 licenses, never got the car done and Jet would do nothing about my loss of 2 licenses on one vehicle and never got even one tune? So they suck! I just gave up and sold it. Nothing compared to EFI Live. Least when you own TunerCat OBDII and buy each definition there's no per vehicle licensing, still have no data logger. I'd rather spend the money on TunerPro to cover OBDII stuff now that would be cool!

But now there's an TunerPro XDF for LS computer being developed, don't know if the adx is done too? Moates and TunerPro are working on flash utility to write to VCM I read on another website?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I like my EFI Live system. Yes, my EFI Live system was expensive, but I found a decent price on a used EFI Live system on Ebay. The MPFI project has taken a few turns in direction. This is actually the second system I've built. The first system I build was sold to a BB Chrysler owner.

I really can't say if the sequential system is a huge improvement for an older SBC. What I can say, is the system I built can be installed underhood as a stand alone system, operate a 4L80E, and is completely bolt on! Maybe this system does not appeal to the budget EFI system buyer? Compared to aftermarket EFI systems, repurposing a LS PCM as a bolt on system for an older SBC has merit. I'll also comment, it would not be that big of a change to make the system pictured operate an actual LS engine!!

dave w

All good points, I like the underhood part! As time goes on you'll be way ahead in the learning curve.

Can it do 4l60E or 700R4? I know it came with manual trans...

The LT1 system is all underhood and would make for a great conversion system if it could be made to run a regular EFI distributor, if you can do it with LS computer it's probably easier. Cheap software, Flash by ALDL port. But there's just not alot of OBDI LT1 available. Only 2 years and all the cars they came in are desirable so not many end up in JY. Then 2 more years OBDII. Where your getting in on ground floor of a system that will become more and more available as time progresses.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    All good points, I like the underhood part! As time goes on you'll be way ahead in the learning curve.

Can it do 4l60E or 700R4? I know it came with manual trans...

The LT1 system is all underhood and would make for a great conversion system if it could be made to run a regular EFI distributor, if you can do it with LS computer it's probably easier. Cheap software, Flash by ALDL port. But there's just not alot of OBDI LT1 available. Only 2 years and all the cars they came in are desirable so not many end up in JY. Then 2 more years OBDII. Where your getting in on ground floor of a system that will become more and more available as time progresses.
    Yes 4L60E.
    No 700R4.

I think the future of the LSx computer is promising.

dave w

Got to be away to just lock up a converter on 700R4? I mean if it can do the other 2?

Yes LSx is coming, this old OBDI stuff is getting rarer by the day. But theres an entire section of Vortec PCMs we seem to forget that should be now coming in abundance? Or are they worthless for conversions? I know the CPI has issues with poppet valve imitation of MPFI... but the rest of motor was great.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Got to be away to just lock up a converter on 700R4? I mean if it can do the other 2?

Yes LSx is coming, this old OBDI stuff is getting rarer by the day. But theres an entire section of Vortec PCMs we seem to forget that should be now coming in abundance? Or are they worthless for conversions? I know the CPI has issues with poppet valve imitation of MPFI... but the rest of motor was great.
    700R4 might be possible for the '0411, but I have not invested the time to figure / find out how.

The downside to the Vortec PCM (very abundant / cheap) is the lack of software!!!

dave w

Nice work. I too am with mark and just cant afford or justify the high cost of the tuning software for the 411. Otherwise I would be building a 411 system for both my cherokee, and the 4.0 in my wrangler.

So untill there are more affordable options for the 411, I will be sticking with the 7427 in my cherokee, and the stock ecm in my wrangler.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by one92rs View Post
    Nice stuff for sure! Basically, the system I designed is completely bolt on (no removal of the timing cover from the engine) and is only a fraction of the cost of the EFI Connection system!

dave w

guess i need to pay attention as how you are doing this. i have a friend with hptuners and is good with it. i would love to have the coils and a ls pcm running my small block.

Quote Originally Posted by one92rs View Post
    guess i need to pay attention as how you are doing this. i have a friend with hptuners and is good with it. i would love to have the coils and a ls pcm running my small block.
    I am using the 4 tooth (low resolution) trigger wheel. To use coils, the 24 tooth (high resolution) trigger wheel is required. Basically, the EFI Connection 24x system is a good option to do coils. Maybe in the future, I'll design a bolt on high resolution system.

dave w

Administrator
    The downside to the Vortec PCM (very abundant / cheap) is the lack of software!!!
    Really???

Weren't people buying Tunercat's OBDII Winflash for doing OBDII uploads/downloads? There's a nice disassembly of a black box Vortec cal on thirdgen.