Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LS computer ('0411) running a Small Block Chevy

It's pretty basic, but you can see MAP, TPS, O2s, fuel trims, and read/clear codes. All I really need so far. I like it. If it can be made to interface with tunerpro I will like it a WHOLE lot more.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 02-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Sounds good. I would like to be able scan OBD2 if the need comes up. The 99 grand cherokee I bought a couple months ago is obd2, I figure one day I will get a check engine light on it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

The video's of the 0411 running the SBC.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Hello Dave,
    Are they for sale now?

Quote Originally Posted by lsxxx View Post
    Hello Dave,
    Are they for sale now?
    I have a new design, I moved the crank position sensor to the distributor, see attached pics. Works on the bench test!

The distributor cap is not pictured, but it mounts on top of the crank position sensor housing.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Hello Dave,
    Thank you for your reply.
    So, are they for sale? LOL.
    I've been thinking about this conversion for a while.
    The EFI Connection 24X is nice but I want to run a distributor and keep my aluminum timing cover.

I could build another prototype like the one pictured. Send me a Private Message for details.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Have you tried that one in car yet Dave? I've read rumours about EFI Connection attempting to put 24X wheels into distributors and into the Optispark but not having much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Have you tried that one in car yet Dave? I've read rumours about EFI Connection attempting to put 24X wheels into distributors and into the Optispark but not having much luck.
    Not tested on a vehicle yet. Based on my experience with the harmonic balancer 4x trigger at the start of this thread, I'm very confident the 4x distributor (actually 8x) mounted crank senor will work to about 6000 RPM's. The challenge I'm working through is production and pricing. The cost of machining one part is almost the same as having 10 parts made all at once. Once the machine setup is done, then machining 10 at time is not that much more tool time. The sensor housing pictured is 3D printed with glass filled nylon, that is rated to about 300 F, which should be fine for under hood temperatures. I simply could not afford a one of a kind custom billet machined aluminum sensor housing. The 3D printed sensor housing was nearly $200 each. I revised my design 3x, so I've spent almost $600 to figure out a sensor housing design. It is very unlikely anyone pay what I have spent to date on this venture? The cost saving side for me on this venture, I didn't have to pay someone to do the CAD. I did all the CAD myself. I've considered using a Large Cap HEI base diameter for a 24x (48x distributor) system. The challenge with the distributor mounted crank trigger boils down to how fast the crank sensor can read the trigger wheel. The sensor trigger math goes something like this; the distributor trigger wheel is about 60% smaller in diameter than the factory crank mounted trigger wheel. The distributor trigger wheel is 8 tooth, so the inches per second speed passing by the sensor mounted in the distributor is nearly 2 times faster compared to the inches per second speed of the crank mounted trigger. I hated homework when I was in school, this kink of homework is FUN!

dave w

Close, but not close enough.

More time and money to fix.

see attached pics

dave w