Thread: Tuning - Stupid questions...

Tuning - Stupid questions...

I am trying to get started with my tuning learning curve but off to a slow start. I have a 94 k1500, 5.7, 7427 ECM and a $0D mask. I'm not sure which bin file to use as there are many variations to choose from so I thought I would read my existing chip and save that bin as my starting point. But, I have a couple of other questions to figure out before I can get started...

1) How do I determine the correct .adx file for my application. On Tuner Pro and this forum I've found 3 I think may be correct, just not sure... A217 $0D TP5 V250, A218 TRANS1 $0D V250 or A218 TRANS2 $0D TPS V250.

2) Not sure why but everything I try to view , even excel files, open up as .php files. I downloaded NOTEPAD++ but the files open up incorrectly and can't be read. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Hello.

I'll try to help although I'm not a regular Tunerpro user. .adx files are used when you want tunerpro to watch what the engine is doing when your datalogging. When you're tuning and need to know the engine operating conditions you would load up the .adx file then use TP like a scantool to acquire the engine data. The three files you mentioned are for watching data related to the engine or the transmission.

In order to "read" the chip you need to use an eprom burner / reader. You will remove the memcal (chip) from the ecm and plug it into the burner with an adapter. Then you will "read" the data from the chip then save it as a .bin file. Each burner has its own software so it's a little tough to help with more specific instructions there.

Once you have a .bin file you will want to view and edit the data in the file. This is different from logging. You will need to select an .xdf file for your calibration ($0D v5 IIRC) then load or open the calibration for editing. This is a separate part of the process from datalogging.

The files are opening with the wrong application because they are being saved with the wrong extension. There are a couple of options that I'm aware of if you're using Internet Explorer. First, try using compatibility mode to get the files to save with the correct name. Second, you can right click on the file, select "save as," and manually type in the correct filename.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think I understand the need for the different files for the different processes. My confusion is with knowing which .adx to use, any idea how I can tell which I would need?

I did buy a Moates ADU1 for datalogging and burning/reading the chips so, I don't "think" I'll have any issues saving a bin file from my original chip.

This .php file thing has me stumped. It won't let me change the extension to .xls or anything else. I was hoping someone else had this issue at one point or another and had some insight. Hmmm, this wasn't one of the problems I thought I would have.

Administrator
    If you want to view engine data use A217 $0D TP5 V250. The other two are primarily for transmission data.

Right click the file name, select "save as," then change the file name and extension?

Thank you!

Fuel Injected!
    When I have saved bins and others I have to be currently logged or I get error.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Fuel Injected!
    I know this a little late but the Php file thing is a problem with I.E. and downloading bin., definition files from
    this site.
    but like he said hit the save as and change the file type. its an Internet explorer thing.

Fuel Injected!
    some one said run in compatable mode this works also.

Dave W gave me a fix for the php file issue... Use Mozilla Firefox. I haven't had any issues since.