Thread: Mechanical injection / EFI mashup

Carb and Points!

Mechanical injection / EFI mashup

I'm looking for some kind of injectors that don't require a fuel rail, enough for a 200hp / 4 cylinder engine. I want to run an individual fuel line to each injector, to replicate the look of mechanical injection ( with the clear / white fuel lines ), but with EFI.

I know I will have a wiring plug on each injector to trigger it, but I am thinking of having the injectors on the bottom of the trumpets rather than on the top. This will be going on a slide manifold.

Otherwise, I can use the proper mechanical injectors and fuel lines which I can get no problem, and some kind of fuel distribution block that can be controlled by the ECU to send the fuel down the hoses to the right injectors at the right time. Basically replace the mechanically driven fuel metering unit with an ECU controlled unit. I would prefer this method as I will be able to hide the fuel distribution block user the trumpets and hide the ECU.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/484916...in/dateposted/

I want to keep my old car looking old school, at least to the untrained eye.

There are fuel injector mounts that will do what you want, they use conventional injectors clamped in the mount. Look up Kinsler, I believe they have them.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks Six_Shooter. Yes conventional ( for mechanical injection ) injectors aren't a problem to source. I need either an ECU controlled fuel distribution block to feed the conventional mechanical injectors, or EFI injectors that can take a mechanical injection-style fuel hose instead of a fuel rail.

Fuel Injected!
    As a possible source, I would look for injectors used with the GM Spider MPFI systems. The injectors do not use a fuel rail.

Something like these: http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.co...ment_help.html

I meant conventional as in typical EFI injectors, not CIS injectors... As opposed to special injectors that don't require a holder, which I've never actually seen. Like I said Kinsler has the EFI injector clamp that you need. Other sources as well, but I know I've seen them in the Kinsler catalog.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    The 280Z used injectors with hose on the ends, that might be something to look at if they have the flow you need.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Administrator
    I think the original design cspfi "spider" injector might be able to donate some useful solenoids.
    http://chevythunder.com/gm_cpi_and_cspi_19922004.htm

Carb and Points!
    Thanks guys!!! The link that Eds put up to the 2002-2007 slide setup looks like it could hold some promise. I don't know anything about these units, but I'm guessing the "body" of the spider ( the big black box that all the injectors go back to ) hooks up to the ECU, and must also have a main fuel supply to it? So I could hook it up to a Megasquirt or similar, as I have no ECU in my old analogue car? Or, I could fashion some kind of fuel distribution block to hook the injector hoses up to, and wire the injector lugs direct to the Megasquirt, and not have the Spider "body"?

That link says 4.3L, 5.0L, and 5.7L GM motors built between 2002 and 2007, so it that the GM LS series engines, series III? LS1, LS2 etc? Might be time for a trip to the junk yard soon....

Thanks guys, you are a massive help :)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    Thanks guys!!! The link that Eds put up to the 2002-2007 slide setup looks like it could hold some promise. I don't know anything about these units, but I'm guessing the "body" of the spider ( the big black box that all the injectors go back to ) hooks up to the ECU, and must also have a main fuel supply to it? So I could hook it up to a Megasquirt or similar, as I have no ECU in my old analogue car? Or, I could fashion some kind of fuel distribution block to hook the injector hoses up to, and wire the injector lugs direct to the Megasquirt, and not have the Spider "body"?

That link says 4.3L, 5.0L, and 5.7L GM motors built between 2002 and 2007, so it that the GM LS series engines, series III? LS1, LS2 etc? Might be time for a trip to the junk yard soon....

Thanks guys, you are a massive help :)
    The years are wrong for the photos on the link. That's a Vortec style injection setup which was mostly '96 to '99. There are plenty of them in the junk yards. Would you have a way of keeping them in place on your setup?
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    They're also extremely prone to failure/clogging/gunk.

I'd go for something like this:

Attachment 10486

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/fuel-systems/injectorbungs/

However, I'd probably ditch the lower half and just machine the intake to accept the lower O-ring seal, and run the clamp screws into the intake. Then run a stainless line bent diesel-style to a distribution block.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    They're also extremely prone to failure/clogging/gunk.

I'd go for something like this:

Attachment 10486

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/fuel-systems/injectorbungs/

However, I'd probably ditch the lower half and just machine the intake to accept the lower O-ring seal, and run the clamp screws into the intake. Then run a stainless line bent diesel-style to a distribution block.
    Those are what I had in mind, just hadn't found time to find a source to suggest for them.