Thread: Hello from Aridzona

Carb and Points!

Hello from Aridzona

Been spending some time here lurking and decided to register so I can ask questions and pursue my interest in a add-on throttle body FI setup!!

I've got a 1978 Ford 3/4ton van with a Pathfinder Quadravan 4x4 conversion, I've finally brought it back to operational status after almost 9 years of inactivity. It's got a warmed over 460(RV cam, head work and a Carter/Edelbrock AFB) that is notably thirsty. I'd like to do some kind of simplistic add-on throttle body fuel injection setup (still utilizing the carburetor dual plane manifold) with the hope of better altitude compensation as a 2.5 hour trip North can gain 5-7K+ elevation with some notable grades. Also better MPG's, throttle response and power would be positive additional changes.

Cost is a factor as I've not won the Lotto yet.......I've got a old/analog Holley 2 barrel Pro-jection on the shelf but haven't decided to pursue that route yet. Been doing a lot of reading on the 'net and it seems that a BBC TBI might be a more viable setup for parts availability and tuning!??
    Thanks in advance for any ideas regarding what might be viable/practical for my van with the thirsty 460!! XPLRN

I would agree, using a 454 TBI system with an adapter plate to fit the carburetor intake makes for a good plan.

The first generation TBI computer 1227747 is a good option. The second generation TBI computer 16197427 is a better option, which is also slightly more expensive.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

I would agree, using a 454 TBI system with an adapter plate to fit the carburetor intake makes for a good plan.

The first generation TBI computer 1227747 is a good option. The second generation TBI computer 16197427 is a better option, which is also slightly more expensive.

dave w
    Thanks, dave w, for the welcome!

This forum has a plethora of information, kudos to all that contribute their knowledge and experiences!

What year span was the 2nd gen TBI computer 16197427 used??

94 & 95 GM Pickups, Vans, (including S10 Pickups and Astro Vans) & Suburbans.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    94 & 95 GM Pickups, Vans, (including S10 Pickups and Astro Vans) & Suburbans.

dave w
    Thank-you for that info, what is the improvement of that "newer" ecm over the older units that seem to be utilized a lot in conversions??

Quote Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
    Thank-you for that info, what is the improvement of that "newer" ecm over the older units that seem to be utilized a lot in conversions??
    The 1227747 is slow a processor, 160 Baud. The 16197427 has a much faster processor, 8192 Baud. The 1227747 has chip file size of 4K. The 16197427 has a chip file size of 64K.

The 16197427 is designed be a PCM (control both a transmission and engine). The 16197427 has two fuel tables and two spark tables, near idle / off idle (which can be an experienced tuner dream come true or a beginners nightmare) to tune with.

See attached pics of Wide Band O2 Sensor tuning with a 16197427.

dave w