Thread: Hello from Silicon Valley, CA

Carb and Points!

Hello from Silicon Valley, CA

Hello GearHeads.
    My name is Kelly and I live in Mountain View, CA just down the road from all the tech giants, I'll have to say sometimes I feel a little outta place.
    My first career was as a mechanic in a chain of independent shops back in the Northern Idaho area. I worked in the field for about 10 years but got outta the biz when the recession hit in 2008. I went back to school and got into healthcare and now keep the mechanic stuff as a full time hobby.
    My current project is an '81 Jeep Scrambler CJ-8. It sits on 33's and have just completed an engine/tranny swap out of a donor 89 K2500 5.7L TBI. I chose the DIY route and salvaged the old wiring harness out of the donor vehicle and reworked it to run the engine in the Jeep. Since completing the install, There have been more than a few drivability problems and I'm hoping to get it working rather than break the bank with a kit or standalone FI system.
    That's about it. I'm happy to say that I've done everything on the Jeep myself up to this point, in my driveway and it is a lot of fun! My wife hates it because it's my mistress, but I tell her it's better than the alternative.

81 Jeep Scrambler
    5.7L TBI from 89 K2500
    HM 290 5 Speed
    Dana 300 Twin stick with Advance adapter to mate to 5 speed

Have you purchased an ALDL cable and setup your Laptop with TunerPro RT?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Yes, I did get the cable from Red Devil River and it seems to be of good quality. Issue I'm having is that my data-stream stops when the engine is running. Very strange. I can see all my sensors' data with key on engine off, But when I start it up, everything stops reading. I've tried WinAldl as well as TunePro RT. Same result. I'm re-checking my harness pin locations to the ECM, but this is a long shot, being that they all seem to be working when tested individually.
    Thanks, Kelly

Fuel Injected!
    I have a similar issue with a cheap serial to USB adapter I use. I think mine isn't properly shielded, maybe you have a similar issue?
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E