Thread: Need software for AMC 258 running 7747 GM TBI

Fuel Injected!

Need software for AMC 258 running 7747 GM TBI

I have an AMC Eagle running GM TBI(from an Ebay TBI kit seller) with the 7747 ECM.

I have the Moates AutoProm and TunerIT and I guess I need some additional files (XDF and ADX) to be able to datalog.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    OK, did a lot of reading in the tutorial thread.

Just confirming what I've read so far......

In order to datalog I need to download and open the BIN XDF and ADX files, correct?

I have plugged into my car already and the only thing I can see on the dash screen is the A/F ratio at 7.3 as well as open or closed loop but nothing else seems to be recording properly.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by cs641 View Post
    OK, did a lot of reading in the tutorial thread.

Just confirming what I've read so far......

In order to datalog I need to download and open the BIN XDF and ADX files, correct?

I have plugged into my car already and the only thing I can see on the dash screen is the A/F ratio at 7.3 as well as open or closed loop but nothing else seems to be recording properly.
    Can't figure this out. Posted a screen shot. It appears that the car is not communicating with the AutoProm or I didn't do something correctly.

Fuel Injected!
    In TunerPro, go to Tools / Preferences / Data Acq. and ensure that Autoprom is selected under interface type.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastacton View Post
    In TunerPro, go to Tools / Preferences / Data Acq. and ensure that Autoprom is selected under interface type.
    I'll give that a shot

Fuel Injected!
    It worked, thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    I have a total NOOB BIN file question(s) that I figured I'd post here and not make a new thread.

What exactly is the BIN file? The actual program the car runs off of?

I have a system I purchased as a kit, is there a way to determine the BIN they used by reading the chip?

Until then will it throw the datalog off if I load the wrong BIN into TunerIT and scan the car?

Fuel Injected!
    Someone else may be able to describe it better than me, but the BIN is the tune. It has all of the parameters required to ensure that the engine is getting the proper amount of fuel and ignition timing based on the data it's getting from the various inputs. If you are going to start tuning, it is best to either know what tune (BIN) is already in the ECM or just start fresh with something else. You only start tuning once you've done a datalog with whatever BIN you're going to use as a starting point. For the 7747 ECM, there are also a few changes you should make before starting to datalog to get the best results. There are a few very good tutorials here and lots of good info from some experienced tuners to go through that will help get you started.

Since you have an Autoprom, you can read the chip and get the BIN off of it. If the chip has a label on it, you might be able to find a copy of it here as well. Depending on the specifics of your setup, you may find that you would want to start with another BIN that's closer to your needs, or there might be someone here that has a good starter BIN for your combo. I know that people have put TBI on the 258 before, so someone might have something that's pretty close to what you need.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastacton View Post
    Someone else may be able to describe it better than me, but the BIN is the tune. It has all of the parameters required to ensure that the engine is getting the proper amount of fuel and ignition timing based on the data it's getting from the various inputs. If you are going to start tuning, it is best to either know what tune (BIN) is already in the ECM or just start fresh with something else. You only start tuning once you've done a datalog with whatever BIN you're going to use as a starting point. For the 7747 ECM, there are also a few changes you should make before starting to datalog to get the best results. There are a few very good tutorials here and lots of good info from some experienced tuners to go through that will help get you started.

Since you have an Autoprom, you can read the chip and get the BIN off of it. If the chip has a label on it, you might be able to find a copy of it here as well. Depending on the specifics of your setup, you may find that you would want to start with another BIN that's closer to your needs, or there might be someone here that has a good starter BIN for your combo. I know that people have put TBI on the 258 before, so someone might have something that's pretty close to what you need.
    Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!