Thread: It is a little embarrassing, but I need some help...

It is a little embarrassing, but I need some help...

It is a little embarrassing to make this statement on this forum where so many people have succeeded but I think I have made the decision that I am going to have to ask someone to tune my ecm. I figure if I can pay someone to get it 75-80% of the way, obviously much faster than I possibly could, then I can at least drive my truck again and use it this summer to work and to tow my travel trailer. Then later this year, I will buy a Moates Burn2 to fine tune it when I have more time to dedicate to researching and learning all I can to do it correctly. When I started this project, I thought the build and hanging new parts would be the most involved part...I guess I didn't realize what it was going take to program my ecm. I am a diy guy but I just don't have the time to commit right now and I need my truck back soon.
    So... I definitely don't want to use TBI-Chips or Wester's Garage. Has anyone had any experiences with Ryan over at Sinister Performance in Ft Wayne? I've read a few good reviews and exchanged a few emails with him, he seems ok and his pricing seems reasonable. Is there anyone else you guys could recommend? Does anyone on this forum tune on the side?

Administrator
    Just out of curiousity, why don't you want to use Wester's?

I might be able to help, if you can send me TunerPro RT data logs.

dave w

Nothing embarrassing about asking for help. Some times getting someone with more experience to help nudge you in the right direction can be more helpful than people realize.

Does the engine run poorly currently, or are you assuming that it will?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Just out of curiousity, why don't you want to use Wester's?
    I'm not going to publically beat him up. I've seen some guys are really happy with what he has done for them, I just choose not to do any more business with him. In a nutshell, at the end of the day I don't feel like he had my best interest in mind. I'll tell you the story offline if you're really interested.

Dave / Six Shooter,
    My truck is running a little rough but I have done no tuning to it yet. Dave, about a week ago, you sent me a 98 vortec bin file to use as a starting point. I was hoping that flashing my truck with a bin file closer to what it should be would be the right place to start. But, I don't actually have a chip burner yet so I couldn't make a new chip (Yeah...I'm truly still at square one). Because I've been stuck on the line between tuning my truck myself or paying someone, I just hadn't made the investment yet.

If you guys think you can help me, I will go ahead and buy a Moates Burn2. I already have an ALDL cable and with TunerPro RT, I think I'll have all I need to burn, datalog and edit, right? I'll be happy to pay you for the time you invest...heck, maybe I'll even learn a thing or two.

Administrator
    I'll tell you the story offline if you're really interested.
    Either way... It's based on personal experience rather than internet stories. That's about as fair as it can get.

Buying the hardware will help even if you end up having someone else do the tuning. With an emulator it's possible for someone to log into your laptop remotely and make changes as your truck is driving without you having to wait for one chip after another.

Hey guys...quick emulator question(s). After researching, I'm either going to buy the Moates APU1 or Ostrich 2.0+Burn2. Is their a benefit to go with one or the other or is it just preference?
    Can you use a ZIF socket with both these? I've been told a ZIF does not always allow the emulator to function correctly.
    I have seen the Ostrich has battery backup. Does this mean it will maintain the modified bin file if I just leave it plugged into the ECM when I'm done for the day?
    Last question. I have a 7427 ECM, if go with the Ostrich2.0, is there still a way to WBO2 tune?

Thank you for the help.
    Joe

Well I ordered the APU1 today. Had to order this morning so it will ship this week. I think I will be happy with the purchase.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    With an emulator it's possible for someone to log into your laptop remotely and make changes as your truck is driving without you having to wait for one chip after another.
    1project2many: THAT would be pretty neat, but wouldn't you need a satellite, or a cell phone tethering connection if the computer wasn't near an open wifi connection?

dispoejoe95: I finally broke down and bought a Moates Ostrich 2. I got it for $110 off ebay and I will tell you now that even though I got it for less than they normally sell for, having now used it and being able to change things on the fly, I would not hesitate to buy one at regular price.