Thread: $42 adding spark advance to Data Stream?

$42 adding spark advance to Data Stream?

Previous conversation with gregscam was showing me how he makes a new paremeter in XDF to do hex changes. I was very interested in learning this but we all know how time to learn complicated things seems scarce... so...

I have a $42 hac and a really cool XDF! Think you could do one of those paremeter changes you were telling me about so it could be added to any $42 bin when modified in the bin? Then what? Replace something in the adx? Can't just add more outgoing data to adx can you?

2 things I would be interested in seeing in data stream is spark advance and Highway AFR which is in the bin and xdf. I don't understand how to do this so maybe this is not only my learning time but your teaching time?

Highway lean cruise and ESC knock test done are already done in the bin in my truck. I can post it and don't mind sharing but don't like modified bins floating around the internet, especally one with Highway lean cruise enabled, if someone got it to push 35 inch tires and pull a trailer it may not be a good thing?

I have more $42 hacs but none for ADSU, but I don't think that matters, does it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Replace something in the adx? Can't just add more outgoing data to adx can you?
    That would be more complicated. You would have to change the ECM code. Could be lots of complications. Timing, data and code memory space, much more code to analyze, etc.

By changing an existing data item, you would just change the memory address that is being sent.

To send an item, somewhere in the code there is the address of the item to send. Changing the address sends a new data.

This is a great design for a hac.

Could even document the change in the xdf.

Robert

Yeah I know! But we have at least one expert at this kinda stuff... just wait and see, I have seen him do this stuff with $OD...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Well I have to give 93V8S10 much of the credit for this as it is his Advanced .xdf/.ads that gave me idea and which I built upon. I actually just took it a small step further and made the .xdf constant link to the location in the datastream instructions that tells the ECM/PCM which address to export the value from. Does that make sense? I would love to explain this right now but unfortunately I don't have TP near me at this time. I can put it up tomorrow though.

Actually I sent a link to 93V8S10 to my DTBI thread which has my current .xdf in it, in the hopes that he will add this small improvement to the new version. but if you want to download that and take a look at what I did to the "Read Me" costants at the beginning of the .xdf. You can also look at what I did to add the cooling fan code.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 02-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I will see if I can shed a little light on the $42 hac.
    If you open the .hac you will see at about 1/5th the way down right after LD4E6:

Code:
    ;--------------------------------------------- ; ALDL XMIT TABLE OR ADDRESSE'S ; 127747 ECM ; ; 5.7L TBI L05 C/K 87,91 TRUCKS ; ; DATA PIN: Read data on PIN "E" of ALDL Connector ; ; BAUD RATE: 160 Baud ; Open - 20 Bytes ; 10k - 20 Bytes ; Shorted - 20 Bytes ; ;--------------------------------------------- ORG $04E7 ; LD4E7 FDB $D002 ; 1. EPROM ID LSB LD4E9 FDB $D003 ; 2. EPROM ID MSB ;--------------------------------- LD4EB FDB $00FD ; 3. CURRENT IAC POSIT, (0-255) ; N = COUNTS ;--------------------------------- LD4ED FDB $0025 ; 4. COOLANT ; see table 1 ;--------------------------------- LD4EF FDB $0034 ; 5. MPH, ; (MPH/1) ;--------------------------------- LD4F1 FDB $002D ; 6. MAP, (A/D, 0-255) ; VOLTS = N * .0196 ;--------------------------------- LD4F3 FDB $001C ; 7. RPM/25 ; RPM = N * 25 ;--------------------------------- LD4F5 FDB $0048 ; 8. TPS (A/D, 0-255) ; VOLTS = N * .0196 ;--------------------------------- LD4F7 FDB $00A4 ; 9. INTIGRATOR, (0-255) ; ;--------------------------------- LD4F9 FDB $003E ; 10. o2 (A/D) ; mvdc = 0.2304 * A/D VAL ;--------------------------------- LD4FB FDB $00E0 ; 11. ERROR WD 1 MALFFLG1 ; ; b7 Err NO DRP'S ; b6 Err 13 Oxygen sensor ; b5 Err 14 Coolant sensor HIGH ; b4 Err 15 Coolant sensor LOW ; ; b3 Err 21 TPS, HI ; b2 Err 22 TPS, LOW ; b1 Err 23 (not used) ; b0 Err 24 Vss ERR ;--------------------------------- LD4FD FDB $00E1 ; 12. ERROR WD 2 MALFFLG2 ; ; b7 Err 43 ESC FAILURE ; b6 Err 44 Oxygen sensor LEAN ; b5 Err 45 Oxygen sensor RICH ; b4 Err 51 PROM Error ;

This is the instruction that the ECM reads that specifies what data (and it's location) to send out in the ALDL. I know these all say "LD***", but I have seen a lot of hacs that use this interchangably with "L0***", it should be "0"

If you go and serach through the .hac for "STAA", you will find many of them, this is hte command to store the data from previous address to the address following the command. So you can select any value that is stored in the ECM's RAM to send out in the ALDL stream. Then you go searching for the item you want to send out, like SA.

Now I could not find an address listed where spark advance is stored to, bet there are a lot of references to spark advance and they all point to L0066, so like a said in the other thread, you make a new constant with item address for one of the above listed datastream items, like O2 sensor volts.

So we are going to replace O2 sensor volts (because we all tune with WBO2s anyways) with Spark Advance. So we make the Item Address "L04F9" which is the address for the bytes we want to change, and make the size two bytes, and put in the comment section "To datalog Spark Advance instead of O2 sensor volts change Bytes at this address from 00 3E (O2 sensor Voltage) to 00 66 (Spark Advance).

Then make new ADX value with the same packet offset as the O2 Sensor Volts, and label it Spark Advance. That easy. Just make sure you always use the XDF and ADX together. Any questions?
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 02-05-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Vintage Methane Ejector
    And I have to give credit to HaulnA$$ over at FSC.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    I actually just took it a small step further and made the .xdf constant link to the location in the datastream instructions that tells the ECM/PCM which address to export the value from. Does that make sense? I would love to explain this right now but unfortunately I don't have TP near me at this time. I can put it up tomorrow though.
    I hadn't noticed that yet!

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    Actually I sent a link to 93V8S10 to my DTBI thread which has my current .xdf in it, in the hopes that he will add this small improvement to the new version. but if you want to download that and take a look at what I did to the "Read Me" costants at the beginning of the .xdf. You can also look at what I did to add the cooling fan code.
    I've been looking it over. I like what you have done and I'm definitely going to use some of it. I'll send you a PM when I decide what I want to do.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by 93V8S10; 02-05-2012 at 02:36 AM.