Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading E38 with FGtech V54 >>>>> (PICs)

Fuel Injected!
    Here is the link..
    http://m.dhgate.com/product/bdm-fram...246173209.html

It costs more money because I have bought it with Bdm frame .

Fuel Injected!
    Does this box read with Winflash? have anyone tried that?

Fuel Injected!
    Theres 2 types of tunerlock. There are just changing the security key - you can brute force this and then read with most tools (including mine). Then there is HPT proprietary tunerlock which applies to HPT COS, and that is an additional thing over the top of regular security lock. You can still read this my tool once you know the security key but you will have trouble with the HPT tunerlock.

For the record my tool will get there one day. Im playing around with different hardware at the moment as the AVT is prohibitively expensive in this part of the world. Once thats sorted I'll get back to it. Theres only so many hours in the week outside of work, and so many projects. Pretty cool that this uses bins.

Fuel Injected!
    Seems unbelievable that they can sell those cables (FGTech) in the $50 range, and actually make any profit. They will read and flash quite a few controllers - including GM's 512Kb and 1Mb PCMs, E38, and E67. The latest version may also cover the E78 and E83 ECMs (not sure).

As long as you have an old computer that you will never again connect to the internet, and you don't mind the Trojans that come with the software, these are likely the most economical means of getting the job done.

Fuel Injected!
    Of course they can do it by cloning the hardware and software so they have near zero development costs (and with the complexity of this generation of stuff and no public documentation the hardware and software development is very time consuming for the original developer), and then using the cheapest nastiest components (or omitting them entirely if they think they can get away with it) and then manufacturing in bulk with no support. Since the build is so cheap they can afford give no support and get away with it by only exchange at your cost for postage, so most people just throw it in the bin and its still a sale for them.

Fuel Injected!
    I meant the cumulative cost of raw materials that go into the "kit" that you will receive, does not leave much profit margin - guess they market based on a large volume of sales.

Customer support has been greatly reduced in our modern world - by many companies (every tried to call the Norton antivirus people ?) - so that is becoming a non-issue as well.

Depending on how you purchase (direct, eBay, etc.), and how you pay (PayPal, etc.), there is some protection in place. PayPal gives you 6 months (180 days) to open a dispute.

These are not for me, I like the tuning software that I have. But for the average person who builds their own project in their spare time over a number of years, often just being able to turn off VATS, correct the speedometer, and turn off a few DTCs is all they really need. A cheap tool like this one would probably get the read / write job done. You could buy 5 or 6 of these cables for the same cost as 1 AVT cable.

Fuel Injected!
    I got my FGTECH GALLETTO 4 in today, 30 minutes had it installed on an old laptop and reading e38 ecm's. No problem on the E38. now, I've tried to connect up a Gen 3 512k and 1mb pcm both, and I can not get it to read at all, come up with WAKE ERROR and sometimes ERROR COM1. I'm using the same bench harnesses I use every day for TunerCAT OBD2 flashing. Not sure why I can't get 512k and 1mb pcm to read. anyone else playing with this thing?

Fuel Injected!
    Wondering if anyone played with this more? Thinking of ordering this one.

http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/ne...-function.html

Can you write with it?

I have on LS1 512k and 1mb and E38. I have cloned several 0411 ecms and cloned a 1mb. I wasnt able to on an e38 though. Read and write works on all three. I bought an ebay Fgtecg that did not work at all i purchased the one posted in the thread earlier on.

Fuel Injected!
    I couldn't write with mine. While writing it stopped and got frozen.After I broke 2 Pcm 0411, I stopped using FG2.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by roughneck427 View Post
    I have on LS1 512k and 1mb and E38. I have cloned several 0411 ecms and cloned a 1mb. I wasnt able to on an e38 though. Read and write works on all three. I bought an ebay Fgtecg that did not work at all i purchased the one posted in the thread earlier on.
    Which link did you buy from exactly? I dont care about 512 and 1mb pcms, I have cables for that. But if I can read/write e38s its worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Which link did you buy from exactly? I dont care about 512 and 1mb pcms, I have cables for that. But if I can read/write e38s its worth it to me.
    http://m.dhgate.com/product/bdm-fram...246173209.html

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Wondering if anyone played with this more? Thinking of ordering this one.

http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/ne...-function.html

Can you write with it?
    I have tried it on LS1A pcm, LS1B pcms works great on those particular units expect where i had this case of a P04 N body style pcm fg tech kept throwing com errors , have also successfully read P10 6 inline as well as E38 pcms, black box reading was a failure.

Can you guys please report what have worked for you and what not, your input is needed for the next cheap guy

Fuel Injected!
    The cables (even the AVT cables) Only have about 7 bucks worth of parts in them anymore. I've been doing RF PCB stuff, and after moving over to surface-mount components I spend 100X less on components than I did in the old through-hole days. Combine that with Chinese PCB fabs and pick-and-place machines, and for 10 bucks each you can build them 10K units at a time...

The only thing you're paying for is the guy who wrote the software's time. Seeing as the software was probably ripped from someone else's project, most of those sales are just pure profit.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmy View Post
    I have tried it on LS1A pcm, LS1B pcms works great on those particular units expect where i had this case of a P04 N body style pcm fg tech kept throwing com errors , have also successfully read P10 6 inline as well as E38 pcms, black box reading was a failure.

Can you guys please report what have worked for you and what not, your input is needed for the next cheap guy
    Done more testing on the 0411 pcms FG fails @ completing a full write but was capable of reading it just fine.

Tested PCMs

LS1A 512kb = read ok , writing works occasionally
    LS1B 1mb = read + write
    E38 = read + write
    P10 = read + write
    P04 = Fails @ both