Thread: Opinions on OBDII auto tuning software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Opinions on OBDII auto tuning software

I have owned and used an original copy of TCII for years, and love it, but I'm looking to see if anyone knows of any good auto-tune software for GM based OBDII ecms.
    I've thought about buying the efilive module, but then I've been told that HPtuner works better, and so on.
    What would you buy if you were me?

Fuel Injected!
    I prefer HP Tuners and I'm sure there are others here that prefer EFI Live. It depends on what kind of deal you can get, how many vehicles/types you plan on tuning and personal preference.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    Is there any demo sites to see what it looks like that you know of?

Fuel Injected!
    18 months ago my advice would have been buy hptuners and never look back. However there has been a number of changes to the software and specifically the licensing structure that has made it a less valuable tuning package. My advice would be if you want to tune one or two vehicles for personal use and sell the device hptuners is probably your most cost effective tool. If you want to do multiple vehicles, have a "tuning" shop, get into doing engine swaps and vin changing, buy EFI Live to start with.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    18 months ago my advice would have been buy hptuners and never look back. However there has been a number of changes to the software and specifically the licensing structure that has made it a less valuable tuning package. My advice would be if you want to tune one or two vehicles for personal use and sell the device hptuners is probably your most cost effective tool. If you want to do multiple vehicles, have a "tuning" shop, get into doing engine swaps and vin changing, buy EFI Live to start with.
    As a new forum member, I am sure I will be late a few more times, but I would like to know why you think EFI Live would be a better pick, even for shop licenses. Lets start out by saying I use both software's and have for over 7 years. I like(d) both of them for various reasons but lately I have not been seeing the support from EFI Live relative to the new platforms (E92/78/39). the now older A6 trans and even less of the A8, non GM platforms (Dodge, Ford etc). Yes, HP Tuners left us in the lurches on VVE (thank you Phil Smith, Bluecat, for filling the void), but over the last 2 years, they have blown by Live on the A6 as well as A8 transmission, provided excellent capabilities to log and tune torque parameters to work the DI platforms and have extensive support for Dodge and Ford vehicles. I wouldn't even think about using anything else other than HP Tuners for A6 (full shift time/pressure tables, upshift torque management etc) or DI platforms such as the C7, Z06, ATS 3.6 etc.

Licensing is also a bit cheaper at $99.99 per vehicle vs $125

Lastly the release of 3.0 and now 3.2 has greatly improved an otherwise excellent product with a faster and more effective Scanner, expanded filtering and even now match the Live Serial WB interface as well as an AEM Can Bus interface developed by dr. Mike.

Yes the Vin changing is a hassel but they are very paranoid of "copying licensed files" from PCM to PCM :-)

All in all I would recommend HP Tuners at this point only because they are moving forward in their support of gas powered platforms across multiple vehicle platforms and continuimg their R&D. I mean just in the last 3 weeks they have released a means to adjust the dreaded P1516 REP as well as a fix to the stubborn-some E38 Rich after Flash.....

I'll get down now :-) sorry.....

Ed M
    Last edited by ERM Performance Tuning; 07-13-2016 at 04:41 AM.
    Google and HP Tuners makes me the smartest man in the world

www.ermperformancetuning.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNy...g7mEF6HyfR1a7Q -- Subscribe and Like

Tuning, Training and Tutorials

Fuel Injected!
    I've got all 3,have had TCII since 05-06 when introduced and got efilive commercial around 09 and I was given Hptuners pro a few years ago in trade for some work.
    TCII is best hands down over all as an editor imo,plus you're not getting sucked dry by vin licensing which is a rediculous concept almost. It includes all available or needed tables with no censoring and you can request what you need. Customer service is the best i've ever had from any product. However it isn't really in the same class as the others since they include scanners and spreadsheets. (Availablish for TCII but not near the useability and ease).

Efilive is next,I like the interface better than HP and from my use with it editing it seems to be restricted a bit as far as available data/tables. Learning to navigate by their little number identifiers seems key to ease of use. Coming from learning and using TCII the histograms and built in scantool were awesome.

I've only used Hp tuners a few times and am still unimpressed and is the last tool I reach for.
    Most recently last night trying to look at mode$06 data on a dodge truck,nogo. Not sure if it's there and couldn't find it though.
    I also hate how they restrict tables and such from the software to keep the idiots from bricking stuff. Offhand the ETC rates and mode tables,been awhile since i've checked but as I recall they rationalized it.
    My experience is limited though,I think i've logged a car or two trying it out and i've only actually programmed 2 vehicles.
    1 was because it was a cadillac and the only tuner that supported it,first time using and misread the warning screen. So I blew $100 just to open the file and see if I had the option for VATS shutoff (I didn't) and it had so little support even there I can't believe they would even charge for it.
    However i've never so much as spent the time to set it up for tuning anything really even,so most of that opinion is based in bias.

I've always seen Hp as the tuner for the beginner/casual DIYer,Efi would be next step up with TCII for basically pro's only or simpler stuff in volume.

To be clear i'm not a professional "tuner". I'm an extreme enthusiast who started with TCII 10yrs ago and became a highly certified master technician chasing the knowledge to use it. I'm rural and easily program (vats/emissions) more vehicles than I need to tune (VE,timing etc..)
    That point of view should be taken into account,as I really don't use these tools on a daily basis like most do. 99% of my programming is with TCII and not the others. I'm more likely to use Hex editor before paying the crazy license prices. Tuning is part of the job dealing in custom cars, the various tuners/scanners I have (quite a few) are only a tool in my box like all the rest for me (top 5 though).