Thread: Soon get to tune a direct injected Nissan

Fuel Injected!

Soon get to tune a direct injected Nissan VK56VD

Just picked me up a M56-S Infiniti for a daily driver. Still have my Uprev cable that I unlocked from my last Titan prior to trading it off. Anxious to see if I can make more than the ~440-450 hp (370-380 RWHP) this little 5.6 makes off the show room floor. In stock form it is enough to push a 4,000 lbs luxury sedan to a low 13 second quarter mile at over 106 mph. I hear the factory tune runs pretty rich and is fairly reluctant to actually give full throttle in the lower gears.

Last edited by Fast355; 03-28-2016 at 05:41 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I ran into a minor road block with this car. Uprev does not currently support my PCMs ROM number and it is $200 out of my pocket to add it to their database and takes up to 3 weeks.

I did manage to get a baseline for the car on a Dynojet. I tried to get a 5th gear 1:1 pull but the overall gear ratio (2.61:1 final drive) resulted in the governor kicking in prior to reaching HP peak.

Car put down 382 RWHP and 390 RWTQ in a 4th gear (1.37:1) pull.

Changed the thermostat from 182*F to 170*F
    Removed the dirty paper filters and tossed K&Ns into it
    Cleaned the MAFs while I was there with CRC MAF Cleaner.
    Advanced the timing 2° in the factory PCM.

After those changes and a little cool down made 389 RWHP and 405 RWTQ. I was able to use my Uprev cable to do some scanning and datalogging on the car. Air/Fuel ratio is in the high 10s and low 11s throughout most of the RPM range. It also takes a few moments (Most of 1st gear actually) for the PCM to reach WOT and therefore power enrichment from a stop. Honestly its probably a good thing though. The 4.783:1 first gear gives the 245/40R20 rear tires enough torque despite the high final drive to give the traction control system a healthy workout.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-09-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    nice looking car, bet it's a rocket

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89-S-dime View Post
    nice looking car, bet it's a rocket
    Thanks!! Definately runs out very well. Actually feels like a truck rear ended it from a stop.

Fuel Injected!
    I still have not had a chance to mess with the tune, but I did get some tune-up work and fluid changes done.

Cleaned the throttle bodies and PCVs, used GM Top-End clean on the intake and a GM fuel system cleaner in the tank, drained and filled the trans (don't believe in machine flushes), and changed the rear differential fluid.

I finally got around to making a couple of video clips. Sorry I leaned into the Zoom button on the first one. 0-80 in ~7 seconds with decent traction (still had some wheelspin around 20 mph and on chirped 1-2) Windows were up on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeXX5tNewoI

The 2nd clip was a spin fest. 1st gear had the traction control fighting to keep the car launching in a straight line and the wheelspin added nearly a full second onto the 0-80. Was also going uphill from about the 60 mph mark on. Still got up pretty quickly though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd3NH9V_eZE

Fuel Injected!
    I have been neglecting actually tuning this car. Its to the point that it needs to be tuned. I put a Bullydog programmer I had on it with their 93 octane tune. Programmer was left over from my brothers Frontier when he had it. It now runs around 10.5-11:1 in PE mode from all the changes I have made. It did make 425 RWHP and 434 RWTQ recently. Also ran 92 mph in the 1/8 mile in 2,500 DA. Kept spinning badly off the line on the greasy track though and had 2.5-2.6s 60' times. It is actually amazing how well the factory ECM has not overly complained about what I have done. The fuel trims at part-throttle are good, no detonation or knock retard, and it drives just like stock until the throttle is hammered down.

K&N Drop-ins
    HPS Silicone Intake Hoses
    2.5 " mandral bent custom midpipes
    Secondary cat and Resonator Delete
    Jones Exhaust 2.5" X
    Badland HPE Cutouts before axle back
    Kept the factory mufflers for now
    BullyDog GT 93 Tune +4° advance
    170°F thermostat
    TB Heat Bypassed

Last edited by Fast355; 07-24-2016 at 05:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I also discovered another weakness in this car. Even though it has the Sport package brakes, its hard on rotors. I warped the front rotors badly. I have a set of Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Pads and Rotors on the way front and rear. Should help this heavy car stop as well as it goes.

Fuel Injected!
    Have you use or tune with the Uprev yet?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NISANDA View Post
    Have you use or tune with the Uprev yet?
    I have tuned with it on my 2012 and 2014 Titans.