Thread: E38 full flash using TC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E38 full flash using TC

I'm trying to do a full flash to a E38 ECM using a .cal I downloaded here. Winflash is not letting me do the flash, it says it's incompatible. I checked "Full Program" but didn't help. The cal opens fine in the tuner program.
    I can flash the same .cal I read from the ECM, just can't flash other files I read from other ECMs or download from internet. I'm aware of the risks involved with flashing E38 ECMs with a different OS, but I have no choice. I'm trying only 2007-2008 .cals since this ECM is a 2007.

This is the first time I try to do this, I always edit the same file I read from the ECM and flash it back, never had an issue until today, the .cal I read from the ECM isn't accepting OS patches (to disable VATS) so I can't start the engine. That's why I'm trying to flash a different cal, to be able to apply the VATS patch.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    I think in TC when you select the Force Full Program option with an E38, segments 7 and 8 must be the same in both of the calibrations, to allow the flash to proceed.

Post the cal that you read out of the E38 ... will see if I have something compatible for you to try.

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe full flash is unstable and risky via TC.
    Why don`t you update it with stock os cal id with GM Oem tool first.
    Then read with TC and modify. You will need a valid vin with the OS you want.
    I doubt there is internal hardware changes at the PCM side.

I don't have the tools to flash using OEM software.
    Later today I'll post the .cal file I have

Thanks guys

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    Maybe full flash is unstable and risky via TC.
    Why don`t you update it with stock os cal id with GM Oem tool first.
    Then read with TC and modify. You will need a valid vin with the OS you want.
    I doubt there is internal hardware changes at the PCM side.
    TC works great with E38s - no issues. This is simply part of its quality assurance checks before flashing a different operating system - to prevent issues caused by incompatible calibrations. With the E38, tuning software can only write 6 out of the 8 segments. One of the non-accessible segments is the throttle controller - that is why there is a compatibility check.

Administrator
    One of the non-accessible segments is the throttle controller - that is why there is a compatibility check.
    Is this segment non-accessible due to software author choice? I'm imagining concerns over incorrect throttle settings causing dangerous operation... Or is the E38 constructed in a way that segment 7 just can't be reflashed through the OBDII port?

Fuel Injected!
    E37, E38, E67, E78, E83, E92 (and more) ECMs, are dual core processors. One of the cores is readable and writable - this contains the operating system and most of the calibration. The other core is write only - it cannot be read. It contains the throttle controller. As this core cannot be read - it is not accessible by any tuning software.

To fully program one of these ECMs requires the use of GM software (SPS / TIS), and is programmed via the OBDII (DLC) port.
    Last edited by LRT; 03-19-2016 at 04:57 AM.