Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumpy Signals

Electronic Ignition! Dailydriver's Avatar

Jumpy Signals

Hi,

I tried to make my first measurement today using EE-16188051-V3.adx (should be correct, since I have an 16188051 ECU).
    All I get is pretty jumpy signals all over the place. Any ideas?
    I attached a short measurement...

Greetz,
    Tobias
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '95 Chevy Caprice LT1, B4U
    '95 Mini Cooper, TBI
    '66 Pontiac GTO
    '57 Ford Fairlane 500

I looked at your log and saw right away a bad connection? If you look at the mz down bottom it jumps up and downn from 4.xx to 8.xx hz, should be way more steady. My logs show 6.57 mostly to 8.20 hz but data is solid and steady. So I went out to my car and hooked up and got the same thing? Since I've used this several times and hooked up first shot every time I was surprised... anyway disconnect and reconnect and got a good conection. Worked on this and tested the engine connection and transmission connection, tried several things over a couple hours and was getting pretty frustrated so had to take a break. I am going to work on this some more tomorrow when I have time, no reason it was so stable and now not?

Anyway attached is best I could do for now. If when you connect your data is jumpy then just disconnect wait a second and reconnect and you should get good data. I did. Turned off car, restarted car and TunerPro several times and got a good connection first or second try. Why? I have no idea? Got a data log for engine then did a data log for trans. Sometimes it connects solid and steady first shot sometimes it takes a disconnect and connect from the button in TunerPro.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I've been plauged with this same problem for a couple of months. there is no rhyme or reason it happens on two different computers and different aldl cables. checked all the grounds and connections nada. if I log with datamaster it doesn't jump around but if the sound is on it will just start making a dinging sound and show a bunch of error counts. I'm starting to think it is a port or driver problem maybe caused by an update.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Never thought of that?

I've been looking for a Panisonic Toughbook with XP to keep just for tuning. They still have serial ports and USB! No more USB converter to COM port update driver moving USB Com port...

Or maybe USB tech can catch up to what we need?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition! Dailydriver's Avatar
    Awwwwsome! Just disconnected and reconnected a couple times and it works fine... Thanks! I wonder if that happens if there are too many signals in the definition?

The only bad side is that I can't record the start since every time I start the engine, the frequency breaks down to ~4 or so again. But I can live with that.
    '95 Chevy Caprice LT1, B4U
    '95 Mini Cooper, TBI
    '66 Pontiac GTO
    '57 Ford Fairlane 500

I don't know? Since it seems to hook up second shot every time I tried changing the macros to run twice but that didn't work either. I've tried so many things set to 1 then 2 and it still takes twice sometimes? Set them to 3 and it freaks out!

The only bad side is that I can't record the start since every time I start the engine, the frequency breaks down to ~4 or so again. But I can live with that.
    Never tried that, maybe a weak battrey?

If you go to Acqusition then Edit Definition you can change the connection to Transmission connect and Monitor to Trans data and record trans data and MALF codes too. Same for Clear codes, it will clear codes.

-= =-

with mine its almost like a progressive deteriation. when I first started datalogging I took an old laptop 1.7ghz 2g ram. and didn't have a problem with it. I upgraded to the latest version of TP and it was fine for a while spiked once and a while. over time it would spike more and more often and the disconnect/reconnect wouldn't help so I would have to release hardware than reinitialize it. It started to get to where my logs were completely useless. I figured since I was using an old computer that maybe it didn't have the power to do what I was asking, so I threw a fresh copy of xp on my work laptop 2 ghz dual core 4 gb ram and the latest copy of TP. this worked well for a month or so and now it is starting to get like it was on the other laptop. Last night I hooked it up to my buddies truck and did some logging and no issues. the only difference was the adx file since he's $0D and he is still stock.
    Its getting real old to be going down the road and look over to see all your gauges fickering all over the place. the only one that doesn't flicker is my WBo2 which is injected into the data stream at the autoprom. this kind of makes me think that is not a com/usb driver issue but I don't fully understand how the data stream works to be sure one way or another.
    I've tried logging startup before and experianced the same issues.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.

Actually old computers with serial ports are way better. My old winows 98 333ghz with 128 meg of ram was excellent with WinALDL.

All the problems with getting connected is in USB hub, drivers, converters and always changing Com ports. Get a laptop with serial port and your problems are over. Unless you have an issue with your adx file? $OD has been well built. What file are you having issues with?

-= =-

I'm using A204_E6_Trans_v250.adx unfortunatly my autoprom is usb so I'm kind of stuck with that. I never had any issues with the com ports changing or anything like that.

Well that's a good known adx file.

I really don't have issues with my USB AutoProm anymore. But my laptop will still change Com 3 from one USB port to another...

TunerPro seems worse then other programs like DataMaster or TunerCat, so I will suggest some kind of improvement for his next build.

Moates has a few articles on USB, drivers and cleaners but people still have issues constantly trying to connect. Here's a weird one. the only issue I have with AutoProm is one of two USB ports change my Com port but other than that always works fine. If I install, or when I had installed WinALDL I could never hook up to TunerPro. Couple years ago, when I finally removed both, cleaned drivers, uninstalled all USB from device manager and started from scratch I got hooked up to TunerPro no problem. Month or so later I installed WinALDL and that was the end of TunerPro again? So anyway back to now TunerPro and AutoProm no issues except USB port may change. But I can not use a regular USB cable from ALDLcable.com. Just will not work? AutoProm will work as passthrough cable.

-= =-

You may want to try to delete the drivers.

GMDriver and I had a weird problem getting TurnerPro working on Windows 7. Turnerpro RT worked one time. Next time, we found com 1 in use by another application. Deleted all com USB drivers. I for get if we had USB drivers on dvd or not. Windows 7 automatically installed. No problems since.

Delete hidden USB drivers ( the problem ones are probably hidden )
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/504/h...-and-services/

To further diagnose the problem, reformat & reinstall Windows XP on your older laptop.

Robert

Wow, looks like I need to count my blessings. (knock on wood) I have never had any of those usb/com port problems yall are having. Once I set it up the first time, its worked perfectly ever since. Could it be that my laptop only has 2 usb ports, and one of them I keep a usb mouse plugged into all the time?
    My laptop is older, dont know the specs or how old it is, but I have added a little more memory after XP went to service pack 3. Its a dell inspiron 1100. It was a freebie from my sister when she bought a new one.
    What are these serial ports yall keep talking about? This one has some type of odd plug on the back I have no idea what its for. It has a icon thats like a rectangle with two lines on either side l[ ]l simillar to that.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Older laptops are fine, you don't need much to run TunerPro or data log. I had a 333 hz with like 16 ? ram and it did all data logging and ran TunerPro before it went RT, I was using WinALDL.

Yes having only 2 USB and leaving one for mouse is probably why. I have 3, but it only ever changes between 2. But I plug in other things like camera, USB mouse when not in car, printer, other Gq4x chip programmer...

The port your talking about sounds like a plug for external monitor. A serial port looks very similar and was on all old laptops and desktops, but USB came along and all technology followed. But what we need is a serial port, it is the perfect COM Port, USB for us is adapters and converters and special drivers. Hence the issues.

One day I am going to get a Panisonic ToughBook just for tuning. Even the latest model still has a serial port and USB ports. They are what military, police use. Can drop them, waterproof even the keyboard, sand proof, work from -40 to 150F HUGE batterey. Used with Windows XP they are getting pretty cheap, probably need a new battery...

-= =-

What are these serial ports yall keep talking about?
    800px-Serial_port.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

They were all the rage before USB ports. USB is Universal Serial Ports.

Serial ports have more pins. Limited 118k bits per second. At least that is what I saw. Could not put more than on device on link. Wasn't a standard way to terminal baud rate ( number of bits per second ). Lots of time you had to configure baud rate. PITA.

Usb 10meg bits with USB 1.0, 400 meg bits with USB 2.0. Something like 256 devices on one computer port via external hub. Auto detects speed.

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 02-04-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Yep, dont have that. The mystery plug on mine is shaped like that one, but has 3 rows of 5 pins, and is male. So it must be for a moniter like you said.

Now that I see that pic, thats what kind of plug is on the programming cable on my WB guage kit I just bought. I was wondering what kind of plug that was, hopefully I dont need it, cause I wont be able to use it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.