Thread: 1961 GMC with 1986 Tech

1961 GMC with 1986 Tech

Hello. New to Group. Will need help implanting an '86 IROC TPI into a GMC

Attachment 10317
    Last edited by FieroDoug; 03-12-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Add photos

My moniker reflects my introduction to EFI. The Pontiac has long since left my stable---family life, and all. I have owned the GMC for a long time and used it as a work truck. I began a rod project in 1996 with the purchase of the '86 IROC TPI motor--wiring, computer and all. The project is called Lazarus due to my now teenager taunting me to finish, which we will do together. Lazarus has a '71 Chevelle front clip and rear diff, and a M21 4-speed.

Attachment 10318 Attachment 10319

I will really need this groups help in figuring out how to let the ECM work with the M21. I found out all '86 TPI were A/T 700R4...so I think tuning will be a required in my case. The body work will be covered in a thread on 6066 GMC Club site, if anyone wants to follow that.

Fuel Injected!
    I have always liked those trucks ... helped out on one with an LSA engine last year. Just some food for thought from an older Hot Rod guy, if this was my build, I would consider an LSx powerplant. I have more than a few Gen 1 SBC engines in the back corner of my shop, because the LSx (Gen 3 and Gen 4) engines work so well. Good power, good fuel economy, and low emissions output.

The 4.8L and 5.3L engines have also become very affordable from salvage yards. Toss in a 6 speed automatic with Tap Shifting, and you would have yourself quite a ride, for not that much more money than you are going to end up spending on the TPI / Muncie combination.

Just something to consider ...

All sunk cost at this point. Already have 2 pulse VSS module for speedo too. If I have to buy all burner stuff myself, it looks like another $400. With help from friendly folk here, I most likely won't need to do that, and am looking at time (free) and maybe $200 of hardware. Am I right?

Administrator
    The project shouldn't be too difficult. Make sure you have the correct pieces for the fuel system including a tank with baffles around the supply line / pump and a return line. You can change to a later calibration which generally provides better driveability and doesn't require a cold start injector. Hardware has changed some since I started. I think Moates has a nice emulator for a reasonable price. These days I usually recommend skipping buying an eprom burner. Once the calibration is dialed in with the emulator it's easy enough to pay a guy to burn a chip from your cal... the work to do that is no harder than cloning a CD.

+1p2m thanks. Nice to meet you.

I was thinking along those lines. Moats sells the Oserich 2; is that what you refer to? I'm starting a thread to delve into this, called "Lazarus TPI project."