Thread: Cadillac 500 to TBI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Cadillac 500 to TBI

I'm new to EFI conversions and I have a big project with hopes of finding help here. I have a 1986 Chevy4x4 that I'm swapping in a cadillac 500 motor and a 4L80E transmission. I am converting the 500 to TBI froma chevy 454. I have the throttle body and adapter. A brand new engine wiring harness for a 1992-1995chevy truck. Some of the sensors. A cadillac engine to chevy transmission adapter. The PCM I think I need is the 16197427 to control the tbi and transmission. I know there's more parts I need but it's a start.
    Hope this site can help me with what to do and what I need. Thanks

The 16197427 PCM is great and has lot's of support and all files needed for TunerPro and so many hacs for running TBI, MPFI and even MAF. It usually runs mask ID $OD for 4L60E which I think can be changed to 4L80E. But you can just start with a $OE mask bin/chip that was designed for the 4l80E in the same PCM.

1986 Chevy truck was carb but should have a VSS already in behind the speedo so that's a good start to. There's lots of guys here that can help out details of VSS changes needed when you get to the chip burning stage.

Post some pictures of your buildup as you go, we like to see projects come together!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Mark is correct , there should already be a provision for a speed sensor behind the cluster .

The '7427 is by far the one to choose for this type of conversion , as Mark said , switch to $OE and start with a 454/4L80E bin , should put you pretty darned close .

You will need to address the distributor , I used a early CC distributor when I did the 403 in my Olds and modded the wiring to suit , I believe they are out there for the Cadilliac also .

Good luck with your swap

TOM

Distributor! Good point! If you can get a large cap HEI for that engine it can be converted to EFI spark timing control fairly easily... if not there are other ways.

One other thing to think of is fuel. 500 cubic inches can use a lot and a TBI fuel pump may not be enough. You can use an inline TPI fuel pump which is widely used with big inch or big HP engines. Need 3/8th line to feed and 3/8 or 5/16th return.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I used the 7 pin (I think) CC distributor on my 403 conversion , wired the 4 pins into the control side of the module and retained the coil in cap . At least that is how I think i did it , it has been quite some time ago....

1986 should still be carbed , but he could replace the tank and sender with a later ('87-up) injected tank and I would install an intank TPI pump , no more $ than the TBI pump and it'll give you all the fuel you will need .

TOM

Here's a thread with that HEI conversion info...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...BI-on-inline-6

-= =-