Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7747 on a Ford 400 - what knock sensor to buy

Fuel Injected!
    when it gets day light I will look at my truck I think its wired right.

As pictured, the ESC Module is wired correctly.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    As pictured, the ESC Module is wired correctly.

dave w
    Hi dave, hi ony,
    thank you for confirming!

In that case, it's toast. I'll order a new one tomorrow morning.

Reporting back - new module installed. Works like a charm. I wonder if it works too good, i.e., if it takes off more timing than it should. Here's the new prelim SA table I distilled from the logged data:

And the diff:

Log attached. Looking forward to your opinions.

Any ideas? Anyone? ;(

The best thing I can come up with to find out what's going on is this: If my original timing table was that far off (up to 5° at WOT, up to 10° elsewhere) this should have had a huge negative impact on performance. Thus, a couple of 1/8 mile sprints should theoretically tell me which timing table works better and thus, whether the knock sensor is to be trusted.

Or is this totally stupid?

Start your car. Look at the knock count. then tap your block with a hammer. Did the knock count increase? if so your knock counter is working. Being sensitive to knock on a ford block is another question. I would try an experiment (very carefully) where I advanced the timing until it pinged and monitor the knock count to see if it detects knock. Again, I would do this at idle and approach the timing carefully, but that is an empirical approach to determine if the knock sensor is detecting knock on your ford. Good luck
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Hi Jim,
    thank you for your reply! The question is not whether it is working (it is, I am seeing knock counts) but whether it detects non-knock engine noise as knock...

False knock is tough to diagnose. Do your knock counts increase rapidly when driving? I would try as a test, turn key on, start TP, record knock counts, start engine and check knock counts again. It most likely will go up as this is normal. Rev motor while in park. Do knock counts increase? If they do, try the test while listening under the hood for a rattle like a loose exhaust. If you don't get any knock counts reving in park, but you do driving, it quite probably is something loose somewhere rattling. If everything is tight, and you still get knock counts increasing, you are in for a long hard stuggle trying to figure out what is causing it. On cheverolet small blocks, it can be double roller timing chains (noisy) or certain roller rockers among other things including noisy lifters. Good luck in your hunt.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Yep, as far as I know Fords generally have noisier timing chains than Chevys, so maybe what the sensor is hearing really is the timing chain. For my upcoming weekend trip, I'll disconnect the sensor as further testing is required....

Hiya Dr_Grip

I've been following your thread recently. I had a 1974 Ford Torino with 351 Cleveland in 20 years ago.
    I've just rebuilt my 95 Z28 LT1 into a High compression 383. I've been struggling with the knock sensor counts going up fairly continuously. Followed all the usual advice/ replacement without any success. Nothing is hitting or banging anywhere.
    General concensus on the interweb is to either ignore it or tune it out. Neither of which i'm really happy with.

I came across a circuit called the "Knock Knocker" desensitizer by Mike Chaney. Lots of references & It takes some finding but is out there.
    Basically it is 2 resistors to lose some signal between the knock sensor & PCM.
    I think results vary from what i read.

Anyway. I made the circuit using a 1K resistor & 50k Linear adjustable Pot instead of a fixed resistor going to ground & could vary the amount of signal from the knock sensor.
    By tapping the Alternator with a hammer ( 5 taps @ 1 per second) I seem to be getting approx 500 knock counts for each tap.
    By varying the voltage from 2.5 - 0 I could reduce the counts from 500/tap down to around 70 at 0.5V.
    While this seems to be consistant & repeatable i found when I checked the data log it appears i was missing taps and the associated knock counts.
    Figures are for show...
    ie on full sensitity i got 5 taps showing 2500 counts
    but at 0.5V I only saw 1 tap of 500 counts so averaging 100 per tap.
    at say 1.0V i saw 2 taps and 1000 counts per 5 taps.

OK I know that's inconclusive but this was as far as i got and it was suggested that i just reduce the Knock tables for the PCM which is where I am at the moment.

Food for thought if anyone is interested.

HTH

Mitch

Thank you for the input ;) I tried the timing table as sensed by the ESC and it's rubbish. Down on power, driveability sucks, she's running noticeably less smooth... I think I'll play it by ear/stopwatch for now and figure out a way to use a knock sensor manually (using speakers/headphones and an equalizer) for fine tuning when I find the time....

Soooo.... by-ear update: Not being satisfied with how she feels at higher rpm, I decided to give up on the self-imposed 48° advance limit and just see what happens when I let the timing curve move on uncapped:

The results are surprisingly fine, the engine feels noticeably smoother above 2200 rpm (where the cap started to affect timing).

So, this old iron block really loves itself some timing. So I wonder what happens if I put the full 25° the stock dizzy's vacuum would add in there, like this:

Will try that later this week. The biggest fear I have is that even with the dizzy being phased correctly, I might run into arching problems at higher engine speeds... Apart from that, I should be fine. The combination of the more precise fuel mixture provided by the injectors and the HEI ignition's stronger spark should mean I can run more timing than stock...
    Last edited by Dr_Grip; 03-28-2016 at 09:57 PM.