Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting closer...

Getting closer...

Sucks being broke. Hopefully next paycheck I can get the FPR, intake and waterneck gaskets, and then try and figure out some type of air intake and filter. I think the air intake tube and filter is gonna be the hardest part of the whole swap.

Had to cut out and drill some small brackets to mount the fuel rails higher, since I am using standard length bosch injectors. Made them out of some 1x1 angle iron. Took them to a machine shop and had them drill and tap some holes in the bottoms of the rails to bolt the brackets on, since stock edelbrock the bolts go in from the side of the rail. Also the stock edl rails had no way to measure fuel pressure. So I had the shop drill from the bottom into the fuel passage, and from the side and drill/tap for a fuel pressure test fitting. I got it off some 90's gm car, have no idea what it was, cant even remember. But I saw lots of vehicles with the thread in test port. We then installed a pipe plug in the bottom hole.

Had to cut off a arm, and then grind some of the thickness of the TB cable lever to clear the fuel rail. Its still tight, but clears.

Slowing getting there.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

But looking good!

You going to add injector harness or do a new one?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Not a bad job at all. I might have considered removing the center of that fuel rail around the TB and replacing it with fittings and 3/8" fuel line for clearance. But it looks like you'll be ok.

Looking good!!!
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Heres the TB before I modded the lever. You can see the part I had to cut off, and how much I had to grind off it too.

The TB itself is from a mid/late 90's v8 vortec. In the TB thread we talked about diffrent ones and talked about the 4.3 ones. I measured them and they were 73mm. I found this one and it happened to come off a v8. The air deflector thingy was about half the size as the one on the 4.3 ones. So I got that one. Once I got it home, I found something interesting about it. The blade in it measures 75mm, instead of the 73 like the 4.3. It also tapers in slightly under the blade.
    I removed the deflector thingy and its was actually kinda riveted/stacked in place. The deflector was stamped and had two nubs sticking up, that went through two holes in the blade, and then those nubs were flattened to hold it in place. So once I removed the deflector, I was left with two good sized holes in the blade, plus a smaller one that was there stock. That was gonna make for a good leak. I started trying to figure out how to fill in the holes, and then I remembered the caddy northstar TB I had that was gonna be too much work to use. Test fit the blade from it and it fit perfectly, just the screw holes in the shaft were off a hair. A little work with a dremel tool and I had them slotted and the blade installed.
    I then cut a plate from some scrap 1/4in steel I had. I took the plate and the TB to the machine shop (along with the rails) and had him remove the taper from the TB, bore the hole in the plate, and drill/tap the holes to bolt it to the plate. Also cut a hole for the IAC.
    Having the taper removed is probably overkill, but oh well, its done.
    Then one day I was bored and I took a sandpaper flapper drum for a die grinder and did a little smoothing/buffing/shaping of the TB opening/mouth. Now thats overkill, but I was bored. You can kinda see a little bit of that handywork in the pics.

The injectors are bosh 0280155703, they source from some mid/late 90's dodge neons. They flow 238cc @ 3 bar (roughly 22.6 lbs/hr @ 43.5 psi) I am gonna start out with them at 40psi (roughly 21.73 lb/hr), witch should be roughly the same flow as what I am getting with my current tbi injectors at the psi I am running.
    They are EV6 injectors with the nice 4 hole spray pattern, but have the old style electrical connector. They are actually a very popular bolt on swap for the 91-95 jeep 4.0's. They flow the same as the stock jeep injectors, but have the much better spray pattern. I actually have a set of these in my wrangler, and they did wonders for how smooth it runs now. It was a big improvement over stock. Thats actually why I ended up choosing these. I had bought enough for 2 4.0's to re sell online, and they never sold, so I got stuck with them. A little research and I find I can use these with this swap, rest is history.
    I took them all to work, sonic cleaned them, and installed new filters, O-rings, and nozzle caps I got from a online supplier. I even built a harness so I could cycle them on and off while in the sonic cleaner.

For wiring, I have the injector harness I got off a late 90's dodge durango, just gonna connect it to the old tbi wires in my current harness. Its got some nice squeeze disconnect plugs for the injectors.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Found this thread and thought it may be useful to you!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...light=tbi+mpfi
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

I found a zip file on here I think 93V8S10 posted and has most all that info in it. I have modded my spare pcm, and added the jumper to my spare memcal. Al I need to do is the bin mods and swap the intake on. One bin mod I am stuck on, is the injector offset vs battery voltage. I will do a little reading and probably post up a thread this afternoon.

The machine shop is busy and has not had a chance to get to my intake yet. Hopefully they will have it ready by next weekend....

I figured it was probably included in all the work 93V8S10 did! But just happened to bump into that in my reading last night and remembered your project.

So the macinist figured out exactly what was needed to match your milled heads?

-= =-

what is this going in. how much hood room will you have. and what type air filter/cleaner ideas do you have.

This is going on the AMC 401 in my signature.
    Hood clearance is gonna be tight, but I have idea of how to make it work. Not posting any details untill I have it worked out, test fitted, then installed.

One of these would work! 3155scoop17.jpg

-= =-

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Kinda small don't ya think. This isn't no 400 were talking about here, it's a 401!

My bad...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    Kinda small don't ya think. This isn't no 400 were talking about here, it's a 401!
    Well.....it is bored .040 over, sooooooo, "technically", its a 409.