Thread: Engine swap put a vortec motor in non vortec truck and runs horrible

Carb and Points!

Engine swap put a vortec motor in non vortec truck and runs horrible

I have a 1990 Chevy K1500 my motor went out was a 350 tbi and bought a brand new crate motor from GM it's a 1997 350 vortec we got the intake to make it where my throttle body is on it. It has no balls just falls on its face. Need help really bad.

Are wanting to learn how to burn your own Performance Chip?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

Are wanting to learn how to burn your own Performance Chip?

dave w
    I had a chip made for it and it gave it a let of power but on take off would die because to much fuel and just blew fuel out tail pipes was told chip was how it was so sent back. Everywhere else says they can't tune or make a chip that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewh1 View Post
    I had a chip made for it and it gave it a let of power but on take off would die because to much fuel and just blew fuel out tail pipes was told chip was how it was so sent back. Everywhere else says they can't tune or make a chip that will work.
    It is a steep learning curve to "Tune" a chip. Knowing the engine specs is not enough information to burn a performance chip. Myself and other members here use TunerPro RT to "Tune" a chip.

The basic "Tune" process goes something like this:
    Burn a chip based on the engine specs.
    Use TunerPro RT to collect data logs.
    Crunch the data log for rich / lean fuel conditions, spark knock, and other basic engine parameters.
    Burn another chip, data log ... crunch the data log ... rinse and repeat until tuned.

The best performance chips are "Built" not Bought.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Your best bet might be to buy either an emulator from Moates or a DynamicEFI conversion and learn to tune it yourself. There are a few members here who have tuned Vortec engines and could give you a timing table that work fairly well. Then, you just need to work on the fuel. You can probably get about 75% of the way there without a wideband O2 sensor but eventually you have to install one to do the wide open throttle tuning.

But to begin with, you will first likely either need more fuel pressure or larger injectors to provide enough fuel for that engine. So you could swap in a TPI fuel pump and a new spring in the regulator to get the pressure up to around 16-18psi. You could try the spring first but it's doubtful the stock pump can keep up to the fuel demands at a higher pressure.

Carb and Points!
    So me tune a chip myself?

So me tune a chip myself?
    Yes
    There are several gearhead-efi members who have successfully tuned their own chips, with help from other gearhead-efi members.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Someone actually just gave me your name and sent me here didn't pay attention it was you responding Haha. Anyway to email? stewhoff1@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Yes
    There are several gearhead-efi members who have successfully tuned their own chips, with help from other gearhead-efi members.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Even if you do get help, the process would be easier and quicker if you set yourself up with an emulator like the APU1 and a wideband O2 sensor. It would save shipping multiple chips back and forth with the tuner, so the turnaround time would be much quicker. You could also learn some of the stuff that gets changed in case you want to do some tweaks or modifications in the future. The other advantage of using the APU1 is that the wideband O2 can connect to it and be stored as part of the log file, making it much easier to tune the open loop or WOT fuel. No-one can really get this part of the fueling correct without proper wideband data.

A Dynamic EFI conversion also gives the same benefits.

If you don't want to, then at least talk to the tuner about modifying the PCM so you can use a more readily available and easier to program flash chip.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    " then at least talk to the tuner about modifying the PCM so you can use a more readily available and easier to program flash chip."
    Here is the thread I started on the flash chip conversion.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rsion-(27SF512)

Link to Moates.net Burn2 which is what I use to burn flash chips. http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pro....html?cPath=64

Modify the ECM for Flash Chip, then burn the chips with the Burn2.

dave w

Someone actually just gave me your name and sent me here didn't pay attention it was you responding Haha. Anyway to email? stewhoff1@gmail.com
    Can you post a data log?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    advance timing to 10 degree and turn fuel pressure up it will run good . I have a 1994 gmc and dune the same thing .

Carb and Points!
    Advancing timing and bumping fuel pressure is just a bandaid. It usually will work but a tune will do ten times better on reliability and performance. A moates Autoprom is like $300 and chips are $5-$10 and reusable. You can't buy a good PCM or Tuner for that price anywhere. People are willing to help you get it tuned well if you are willing to meet them halfway. Read the NewB posts and stickies. It seems really hard at first but it gets easier, you gotta make the leap though.

Carb and Points!
    my bandaid will hall ass with no problem and no service engine light on

Quote Originally Posted by gmc1994 View Post
    my bandaid will hall ass with no problem and no service engine light on
    I really wonder what the AFR's are with the Band-Aid?

Power Enrichment - PE measured with a Wide Band O2 Sensor, see attached.

When you know, you can really GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

dave w